Buying a guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  2:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm in Europe, spending a semester abroad, and I was going to have my guitar shipped to me. Well, turns out that will cost an ungodly amount to ship it as well as insure it. So, I've been given a cheap budget of around €250-300 to buy a new guitar here... So my question is, does anyone know of any good/cheap European guitar brands?

If anyone can answer this, I'd be amazed (but very appreciative).

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  09:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you post the country, I could probably help you more; but if you are in the UK, check this site out:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/brandlist.htm

You should be able to get a Yamaha, Fender, or Ibanez over there for around your budget.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  12:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a Johnson something-or-other. It's just a simple starter type guitar, but it'll get the job done for the new few months. I was starting to become deprived. On an odd side note, guitar picks here (Ireland) tend to be shaped differently somewhat... The dunlop tortex picks I bought are more rounded, almost like an egg-shape. Very odd, in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  03:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irish guitarists rule. If you are living or get to go to Dublin, make sure you go to Matt Molloy's pub. He's from the Chieftians. On the Real World label you can buy an album, "Live at Matt Molloy's" where a bunch of random musicians showed up and recorded a bunch of songs live.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did the same thing last year. I went to spain and bought a flamenco guitar in Granada. I think buying a guitar wherever you are going is a very good idea because it gives you access to guitars you most likely cant get in the US (for better or worse), and it will serve as a great reminder on the time you spent in another country. I also reccoment you take flamenco lessons from gypsies :) Its the shit.

Joe

quote:
Originally posted by JTR

So I'm in Europe, spending a semester abroad, and I was going to have my guitar shipped to me. Well, turns out that will cost an ungodly amount to ship it as well as insure it. So, I've been given a cheap budget of around €250-300 to buy a new guitar here... So my question is, does anyone know of any good/cheap European guitar brands?

If anyone can answer this, I'd be amazed (but very appreciative).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000