Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Tim's pickups for DMB's Before These Crowded...?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tmac513
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  9:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac513's Homepage  Send Tmac513 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey all. First post on the forum here.

I've been listening to some old Dave Matthews Band stuff a lot lately (specifically Before These Crowded Streets). I know Tim Reynolds played electric guitar for them on their albums, and was wondering if any of you here know what pickups he used to record it? Or maybe what type (humbucker, single coil, Alnico II, Alnico V; I doubt he used Ceramics...)? I've checked the gear on his website, and he mostly uses/used Gibson LP's and Fender Tele's. I don't think his tone came from the stock Gibson PU's, but could they be Tele PU's? Or strat PU's? If not, anyone know what pickups or what type of pickups he used?

Thanks.

Prasanna Swaminathan
President, Production & Technology, Quik Conversions
www.quikconversions.com
Email us to order.

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  9:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check around on the Electric Setup page on the website part. Other than that I don't think anyone would have any idea. I suspect he was playing the same Les Paul that he played with touring with them that year. So try to check them out during a video or something.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  10:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it was a Les Paul. And as far as I know, factory pickups. Fluffy might be able to elaborate on that, perhaps by even bouncing the question off of Tim.

On Crush though, I could swear it sounds like a Strat or a Tele.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  12:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
in the crush video he was playin a gibson. if memory serves me corectly.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  3:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I think he had a Les Paul in the Crush video. But Dave had a Gibson Byrdland or something, which I know he did not play on the song in the studio. The LP could just be what Tim brought to the set that day for the video.

That being said, I do believe that he only played Les Paul on BTCS. Though, it does sound like a tele or strat on Crush at times.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Tmac513
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  9:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac513's Homepage  Send Tmac513 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...

Yeah I checked out the guitar setup on the main site. "Crush" is actually my favorite song off the album, and I love the tone Reynolds gets, especially for the solo at the end. Parts of it sounded like some type of single coil to me, just not Tele's...more like a Stratty sound.

Well, if he used only LP's for that album...I don't think that sound came from stock pickups...but if it did, anyone know which stock pickups they were? Haha sorry about all this, I just love his tone on that album.

Prasanna Swaminathan
President, Production & Technology, Quik Conversions
www.quikconversions.com
Email us to order.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000