Any Ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChaosBrother
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  10:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ChaosBrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Whats up you guys? Im new to these forums, but not new to Tim's enlightened style. I usually play my acoustic, unless I jam out with my band of brothers. I would like to know what electric guitar would be best to buy under 1k? My acoustic is my baby, but with a lack of frets, leaves me feeling restricted. Im looking for a guitar that can handle all sorts of pedals, plus be good just with standard tuning all by itself. Any ideas

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A Gibson SG special can be found under $1000 at a lot of places. I had one (just sold it last week)...works well with pedals and has enough character that you can just plug it in and play it on it's own (something I don't think a strat has).

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  3:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Epiphone les paul standard. Of course, mine is from way back, they don't make 'em like they used to.

I second the SG notion. I'm a Gibson/Epiphone man though, so I'm very baised.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

theprik
Is Anybody Here?

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  4:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Send theprik an AOL message  Reply with Quote
jackson slsmg soloist flametop
now that guitar will handle just about anything

good music is good music, and that should be enough for anybody
Go to Top of Page

Hopeful Rolling Waves
Alien Abductee

South Sandwich Islands
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  4:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Hopeful Rolling Waves an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for a Fender Telecaster, but I don't know what kind of music you play.

http://db.etree.org/hopefulrollingwaves/ < My Trading List
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  4:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If he's in the 50+ crowd playing Earl Scruggs covers, a Telecaster should be right up his alley.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

ChaosBrother
Is Anybody Here?

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  3:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ChaosBrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well Im kinda a guitar experimentalist type, so Id say from reggae to blues, to metal to my own crazy melodic riffs. But thanks for the input though.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  5:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was just kidding. I think of Telecasters as old man guitars...even though our own Tim Reynolds plays one.

I really like Les Pauls as a good all around guitar. I play a lot of different styles, and I only own one electric guitar: A Les Paul.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i'm a metal man, myself, as well as an epiphone/gibson guy. my electric is a epiphone les paul studio gothic model. they don't make them anymore, but if you can get your meathooks on a gibson sonic 180, that'd be grand. i had one. . .and fucking broke it.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  9:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
An American Standard Strat would probably be the most versatile, and my personal pick, especially if you replace one of the pickups with a humbucking setup.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000