Tim's Pedals Settings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foster
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  09:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Foster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey all, I was wondering if someone knew the type of pedals Tim uses and also the specific settings that allow for that swell/violin sound like on Little Thing or Cryptorchid? I currently own the Boss DD-5 Digital Delay and Morley Volume/Wah Pedal and read that he too also owned these and to set the DD-5 to E=1o'clock, F=12 O’clock, D=max and have in on function 3. This also has the 'reverse' function which I think is where the violin sound derives from but I just can't figure out his exact settings...If anyone knows any information at all whether it's about these two pedals or any other pedal that can imitate these sound effects please write me - it'll be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Foster
V-Side Productions

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  10:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess. None of us really knows. Just experiment and find a sound that you like, don't try to copy someone else's.
Go to Top of Page

Foster
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Foster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I DO have an original sound, but I would also like to be able to create music using someone else's methods. Thanks for the reply though.

quote:
Originally posted by JTR

`Guess. None of us really knows. Just experiment and find a sound that you like, don't try to copy someone else's.

Steve Foster
V-Side Productions
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  6:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The violin sound actually comes from the volume swells, not the delay. Just use your Morley volume pedal to increase the volume right after you pick the string. It cuts out the initial "attack" sound on the string and leaves you with a violin type sound.

Now, off the top of my head, I don't know the DD-5 settings to get the exact sound you're looking for as far as delay goes in addition to the swells, but experiment with your DD-5 to get your delay time to between 1-2 seconds, and feedback to repeat for about 4'ish seconds and you'll probably be in the ballpark.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Long live the DD-5.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  7:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long live the DD-6!!!!! Bwa ha ha!

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  8:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DD6... Big deal. That's just a DD5 with a new number on it. And new dial settings. And stereo phonic sounds, and other cool shit... Damn.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
DD6... Big deal. That's just a DD5 with a new number on it. And new dial settings. And stereo phonic sounds, and other cool shit... Damn.

But the DD-5 and DD-6 will always have penis envy of the DL-4's 28 seconds of looping.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the Dl-4 have the warp and reverse effect?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Foster
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Foster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks for all the replies! I'll have to work on the volume pedal swelling thing. I also thought I read somewhere about Tim using the reverse function to create his violin effects. Have you heard this before? Thoughts? Comments?

PS:
DD-5 FO SHO!!!!

Steve Foster
V-Side Productions
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  12:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reverse effect on the DD5 make the attack sound come at the end of the note instead of the beginning. Sometimes in reverse mode, TR uses his volume pedal so you can barely tell that it's in reverse mode at all, since the note just fades in and out evenly at both ends (but you can tell it in fact is in reverse when he changes the pitch of the notes). I don't know if this answers you question, but there you have it...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000