New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  11:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have posted on several forums over the last few years and I have to say that I like this one the most. (Perhaps that's why I'm such a post whore). There are a few good qualities of this forum I would like to point out.

1. People's dedication to their posts
A lot of people on this forum go to long distances to put together a reply to threads. I'm amazed at the amount of information I get from people when I ask a question. Next thing I know, I have pictures and links and stories etc.. A+

2. Maturity
wh3n ppl tlk lik ths, its rlly fkin annyng
not to mention the abundance of childish cursing that goes back and forth in some places.
Congrats to the board! I have posted on this board for 3 months and have not yet had my mother referenced. A++

3. Friendliness
Even comeplete newcomers seem to get a lot of respect here for the most part. People's dedication to helping strangers is also worth mentioning. A

4. Good topics
A lot of interesting topics here. You can learn a lot from a hot topic.
Im used to forums with a lot of
"Post here if you like pancakes"
Some forums have sections JUST for stupid spam topics to keep the whores at bay. It's nice to see we don't need one of these A+

5. Doesn't hurt my eyes

Some forums have members that FILL their signatures with huge flashy pictures that lag up the forum and distract me while I'm reading. When I read things here, I don't have a mental over load. A+++

6th and final reason this forum rocks
It's a mixture of all the above
I DON'T FEEL STUPIDER AFTER COMING HERE

So thank you.

p.s. I know this is corny, but it's better than what I'm supposed to be doing

p.p.s. I am aware that stupider is not a word, which I learnt the hard way :
http://www.gamerevolution.com/chatter/mailbag/archive/2-11-02.htm
(read the second email, from Kyle Newsome (me) and their response)

Tim, come to Canada!

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  11:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
gaming board are almost more than ridiculous. i didn't go, but tell me how many people have their computer specs as their sig file?

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

gaming board are almost more than ridiculous. i didn't go, but tell me how many people have their computer specs as their sig file?

That link isn't actually a game forum, it's a mailbag from an online magazine.

If you want to see a ridiculous board look at this one:

http://shinraonline.com/board/index.php

It's just plain ridiculous in every way. I actually used to post here regularly. But I was young and clueless.

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  2:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I feel the same way. I love this board because I love the people who post here! It really feels like family here.

BTW, love your Spiderman signature. Now is it Spiderman or Fluffy?????.....hummmmmmm

There's a story behind that comment and either Kevin or Fluffy has got to tell it on here somewhere. Great story!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  6:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it may be thanks to, in no small part, those members that were here from the start. It started out in the same way that you describe above, and it's stayed that way. You can conjecture your own reason, but I think that lurkers pick up on how things are around here, and those who post stick to the formula. It's a shame that so many of the old regulars don't post here anymore though.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  7:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like:
HTG
PCBTim
EnthuTIMsiast
VictorWootenFan

...and on, and on.

This is the only board that I care to frequent regularly. Because of those very same reasons.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  8:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love this board, but unfortunately I feel as though I am the bland cream filling as I rarely post anything of interest...But the fact that this is tolerated makes it all worth it, so thanks guys!!

And just another note, everything mentioned earlier is completely true and unlike any other forum...it's really unique and I guess we all have to thank TR for pulling us all together!!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  11:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep I remember my first post and it was filled with 2 stupid questions but everyone was super nice and answered them right away. This place is pretty cool. The fact that Fluffy is always letting everyone in on the details of what's going on makes it pretty sweet too.

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  01:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i need to second everything on this thread, and I'll do so in order:

1. Because of the small community and the fact that compared to a DMB site there isnt a wealth of knowledge on tim around, people here are more inclined to share everything they know. Thats what makes this place awsome, cause you know you'll get a cool answer regardless of te question.

2 & 3. Again, small communities foster this type of attitude. The grand scale nature of the DMB boards make it so that its less personal, and it makes it easy for people to disrupt the momentum of such a huge board. Huge boards need rules, or else they'll collapse under their own weight. We're smaller, so we can survive without that rigid nature, and it makes for more mature happenings.

4. In really large forums, theres always going to be a group of people there responding. So when youre almost garenteed a response, youre more likely to post a bullshit topic. theres a forum i go to where i do that a lot, because i know there will be a response to it imeadiatly, and it'll most likely sink. its all in good fun. But in a place like this, its slow paced and focused, so youre more likely to talk about things that dont involve "last post, i win!".

5. Sigs are fun, but need to be limited. thankfuly thats the case here, because people dont overdo them with IVE BEEN TO 765 DMB SHOWS AND COUNTING, LET ME LIST ALL OF THEM ALONG WITH THEIR SETLIST SO YOU CAN SEE IT AFTER EVERY ONE OF MY 17000 POSTS!!!

6. Yeah, I know I can come here and say what i want without being bombarded with "hey man, you just dont APPRECIATE the music, fuck you, crawl back into your moms deformed womb you cuntbubble!". and stuff.

PS - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stupider

I guess theyre stupider for not looking it up

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  02:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And people don't follow the whole "act like a shit head because it's the internet and you are anonymous" idea.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  10:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

And people don't follow the whole "act like a shit head because it's the internet and you are anonymous" idea.

Have you ever seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike back? In the end they make a ton of money form a movie deal and go around the world kickin the ass of everyone who rippe don them on the internet. They end up beating the shit out of so many little kids

That was awesome. I'd love to do that.

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  10:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
5. Doesn't hurt my eyes
Some forums have members that FILL their signatures with huge flashy pictures that lag up the forum and distract me while I'm reading. When I read things here, I don't have a mental over load. A+++

I thought that was great because it is so true...plus guitarted has that huge spider man signature..haha

mine is big too but the link is broken, heh.
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  10:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

quote:
5. Doesn't hurt my eyes

I thought that was great because it is so true...plus guitarted has that huge spider man signature..haha

You think my sig is bad? oh man, it's nothing in comparison to the wild elaborate sigs some ppl make. It's pretty thin height wise as well. Arthen's text based sig is as tall as mine
Besides, spiderman fits the forum's color scheme

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  10:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarted

quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

quote:
5. Doesn't hurt my eyes

You think my sig is bad? oh man, it's nothing in comparison to the wild elaborate sigs some ppl make. It's pretty thin height wise as well. Arthen's text based sig is as tall as mine
Besides, spiderman fits the forum's color scheme

I'm just glad nobody's sig make the posts wider than my computer screen. That is the most annoying thing -- having to scroll back and forth to read posts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000