Guitar Humidity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  3:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A few years back, I lived in a shithole apartment without central air, and I decided to buy a real, solid wood guitar. I bought a Martin D-16RGT. I kept a humidifier in the guitar, but alas, the guitar dried out due to the conditions in my shitty apartment in connection with the dry winters in Iowa. I took the guitar into my local music store, West Music, and I must say they were great about it. They actually kept the guitar in the store for two weeks, in their perfect climate for acoustics, until it was rehumidified so that it could be worked on. They didn't charge me for keeping it there. And it was only $40 bucks for them to set it up again.

Soon after that, my girlfriend(now my fiancé) and I moved in together to a condo, which has central air, and I have a room now with all my guitars hanging on the wall, with a humidifier running set at 50% humidity. I also have a hygrometer in there, which usually reads between 48% and 55%. My guitars have all been adjusting to the proper humidity for acoustics, and with that there have been some action problems, intonation problems, etc...that need to be taken care of. Now that the guitars have been in the room comfortably for a while now, I decided they are acclimatized enough to take them ALL in for setup to get them in prime condition for rocking out.

Since I don't want to be without guitar for any amount of time, I decided to take them in one at a time, starting today with the D-16RGT, the ultimate bitch of humidity. I took the guitar in, and explained the brief history of time regarding the guitar to my usual contact at West Music. As I was filling out my name and info on the work order, he picked the guitar up and played around on it a bit. While doing this he said "Yes. It is a bit dry."

I was shocked. I asked him what the best humidity is for a guitar, and he said 40% to 50%. He suggested that I get a hygrometer. I told him that I had one, and that all my guitars were in a room with a humidifier and the door closed, and that my hygrometer reads between 48% and 55% all the freaking time. He seemed confused, and said that the guitar tech there would have the final say on the guitar's dryness.

Basically, this is bothering me. Could this guy just not know what he's talking about, or is this guitar the bastard child of Martin guitars and refuses to remain humidified? I talk to this guy about guitars all the time, and he really seems to know his stuff. I can't tell just by playing a gutiar that it is dry, but if anyone could, I think he could. With the humidifier, hygrometer always reading correct %, and the door closed, could I still be doing something wrong?

Anyone's input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this whole thing!!!

Adam

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  6:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of things that can dry out a guitar and I'll bet you can diagnose it, even if your Martin is just being temperamental...

First thing though, what part of the country do you live in? My reason for asking is innate.

Second, humidifier or not, what is your a/c setup in your new place? Central or window, and at what temperature do you usually keep it? I ask because a/c serves two purposes: the first is to physically lower the temperature of the air, thereby cooling a given room, and second is to remove humidity from the air, which also helps to cool a room. Here's the speculation. Now, if you're like me, and you like to keep your place like a meat locker, you may be removing too much humidity from the air for your guitar, just by having the a/c running so much. The flow of this dry air could be, in one way or another, flowing away from your hydrometer and toward your guitar. If you have the a/c running pretty constantly, you might try covering up a portion of the vent that feeds that room.

Last idea is pretty simple... I know when I bought my Taylor, it came with a bunch of materials relating to solid wood guitars going either wet or dry. Their number one recommendation was simply to keep the guitar locked in its case when you're not using it. The Taylor hardshell case seems bomb-proof, so I'd imagine you have something similar with your Martin. You might try that.

Then again, I wouldn't know a dry guitar if it slapped me across the face by simply playing it... so definitely let us know what your other guy says.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  8:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...as I have that same Martin, I'm very interested to know your findings. I think I'll keep it in its case when I'm not playing it.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  9:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have central air, and it's kept at about 73¢ª at all times. The hygrometer is right next to the guitars, so I can get an idea of what the actual humidity is in that part of the room. There is a vent in the ceiling where the air comes from, but half of it is taped up so that the only AC flowing into the room is away from the guitars.

One thing that I did think of is that the humidifier was right underneath my guitars. Namely, exactly underneath the D-16RGT. I've been told by another guitar guru online that any air flow, wet or dry, may cause a guitar to become dry. I'm kind of buying into that, I've actually moved my humidifier away from the guitars to an adjacent wall.

I have six guitars and five wall hangers. So I think when I get the guitar back from the shop it will reside in its case when it's not being played. But again, it does all depend on what is recommended by the repair guy at my shop.

My fiance and I were joking that since the guitar's been in there once already and been dry, they may just call and refuse to let me have it back, thinking that I can't take care of it. Like the Seinfeld where his mechanic steals his car.

As long as they gave me $1000 for it, I'd say they could keep it

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  2:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I bought my martin I was told to always keep it in the case, and to keep a humidifier in it at all times. For where I live (arizona) it is certainly necessary and if I go a few days without refreshening the sponge I can easily tell the difference. One thing that was suggested to me by my local luthier is that when the guitar gets very dry for whatever reason (you can see the wood rounding just below the bridge, and you may develop deadspots) then a good idea is too buy a larger sponge (larger than the humidifier note:i have one of those little green ones.) and put it in a ziplock baggie with little holes pocked in it. Place it in the soundhole, the results are good and fast. After doing this I suggest you just keep it in the case. Hope some of this is of help. Good luck

Hasta luego
Joe
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  1:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well. I got a call from the tech at my guitar shop yesterday morning. He said that the guitar needed a truss rod adjustment, and that was it. I asked him if it was dry, he said that it was not. He said that he could tell that it had been dry at one time, but that it seemed fine now. I told him the conditions that I have the guitar in, hanging in the room with the room humidifier and the door closed, keeping it at 50% all the time. He said that is perfect and after he sets it up, it shouldn't need anything else done to it.

Looks like dude was wrong after all. He'd probably think it was funny if he knew I was stressing about him being a dipshit all weekend.

Adam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000