Scale/Chord Dictionary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In an effort to learn more and more about music, I've attempted to create a chord chart relating each type under which mode/note in a scale it can be played under. What follows is an early attempt at such a dictionary or chart. I know there are others out there that could use such a thing. What I would appreciate is if anyone could contribute more chords or make corrections to any mistakes I may have made, since I know that many musicians here are quite well versed in theory. Check it out:

(using C Major scale as an example key)

I - Ionian/Major
C Major
C Sus4
C 6
C Major7
C Major9
C 6/9

II - Dorian
D Minor
D Minor6
D Minor7
D Minor9
D Minor11
D Minor13
D Minor6/9

III - Phrygian
E Minor
E Minor7
E Minor11

IV - Lydian
F Major
F 6
F Major7
F Major9
F Major7#11
F 6/9

V - Mixodylian
G Major
G Sus4
G 6
G 7
G 9
G 11
G 13
G 6/9

VI - Aeolian/Minor
A Minor
A Minor7
A Minor9
A Minor11

VII - Locrian
B Diminished
B Min7b5

Again, any additional chords or corrections are more than welcome.

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  09:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is great JTR. It reminded me of the best book that I ever bought about guitar: The Guitar Grimoire: Scales and Modes. Grimoire is pronounced Grem-war, which rhymes with Guitar. It breaks down just about every scale and mode out there, and what keys different modes go with, etc... Here's a pic of the book:

It cost me like 18 bucks at Barnes & Noble. I'd suggest picking it up if you're into scales and modes. And even if you have a pretty good understanding of it, the book does a great job of reinforcing the entire idea of modes.

Your chart looks great though, and I will probably wind up putting that into an Excel spreadsheet and printing it off for quick reference while jamming with friends.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Kukini
Is Anybody Here?

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2004 :  04:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Kukini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
www.chordbook.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000