playing with a slide
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  9:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey wonderin if anyone had a guide or some tips on playing with a slide. For example on TR's slide solo on Ants Marching, i can't get that beginning to sound right. does anyone know any good sogns to learn on slide? thanks alot.

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  09:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeGamo05

hey wonderin if anyone had a guide or some tips on playing with a slide. For example on TR's slide solo on Ants Marching, i can't get that beginning to sound right. does anyone know any good sogns to learn on slide? thanks alot.

hah, that's funny. That's the ONLY part i could get to sound right.
Everytime I ask soemone hwo to play they alwasy tell me to just dick around with it.

I try using it sometimes when soloing, but i never like how it sounds.

Do you ever just sit down and play with your slide at all?

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  10:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Slides are too funky.

So I use a slide on my pinky and kinda hold it with th rest of my fingers for more control. You can kinda make some cool sounds by holding it and pushing up and down on the string and of course playing that string.

It takes pratice/getting used to mainly. Just kinda mess with it.

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  10:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes tim will put on a silde just to make some noises on delay and then take it off.

Just thought I'd make a note of that...

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  1:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guitarted

Sometimes tim will put on a silde just to make some noises on delay and then take it off.

Just thought I'd make a note of that...

Well, yeah...Tim is one of the kings of delay as far as I'm concerned. From the few TIMes that I've seen him, it seems like he uses slide more often on electric.

The thing that bothers me about learning slide is that there has to be some definitive techniques out there. Yet, the three books I have that claim to be comprehensive, either fail to mention slide or have one page (literally) on it that doesn't mention technique at all.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2004 :  9:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, tips. put the slide on your 3rd or 4th finger (your preference) and damper with atleast one finger behind the slide. By damper I mean lay a finger gently across the strings BEHIND the slide. after you get a clean sound explore open tunnings...Open G, DADGAD, Open D, and open C are all great. and just have fun with it. I play slide with Blues or with delay (like spacey kind of stuff). I love steel slides and getting that dirty delta blues tone. just remember to DAMPER. I think this is the thing most slide players look past but it really gives a better and cleaner sound. good luck
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  01:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well said Tom...I prefer a glass bottleneck, like a wine bottle...

One tip I do have is that you have to get the vibrato...It's a bitch, but it's basically moving the slide back and forth slightly...Since it's almost impossible to land on the note in perfect pitch with a slide, you have to keep moving...Watch a pro play slide...Like here...
http://www.cr.nps.gov/delta/blues/video/Son_House_big.rm

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  11:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it's not workin lol thanks for hte damper tip i'll have to try that... you guys have any beginner excersizes to start out?

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Joe
Is Anybody Here?

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Joe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomasode

Ok, tips. put the slide on your 3rd or 4th finger (your preference) and damper with atleast one finger behind the slide. By damper I mean lay a finger gently across the strings BEHIND the slide. after you get a clean sound explore open tunnings...Open G, DADGAD,

Open G is DGDGBD...just in case you wanted to give it a try

Open D, and open C are all great. and just have fun with it. I play slide with Blues or with delay (like spacey kind of stuff). I love steel slides and getting that dirty delta blues tone. just remember to DAMPER. I think this is the thing most slide players look past but it really gives a better and cleaner sound. good luck

Another thing people overlook with slide is right hand technique. If you play with your fingers you need to learn to mute the other strings (not too hard), if you play with a pick it is a little more tricky. I found a decent book a few years ago when I first picked up the slide. "electric slide guitar" by Hal Leonard Corp. It has a decent explanation of left and right hand technique along with excercises, riffs, and short solos. Good times.

Hasta luego
Joe
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
think you could put it into tab on the site? i've been tryint o find some riffs or solos to help me.... thanks in advance

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I hate hearing Free Bird, the song's got a relatively easy slide solo/intro thingy that could help you practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000