Guitar Discount
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  1:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know of a decent way to get a new guitar for relatively cheap? I'm interested in purchasing a higher end acoustic (Martin/Taylor/etc.) and some of the prices are just insane. Granted, I know I'll have it for years and years and it's more of an investment than just blowing money away, but I figured maybe someone knows of a good way to find deals. I don't think I'd ever buy a guitar over the internet, cause I've played two of the exact same make/model of a particular guitar and found the quality to be drastically different. I figure I'll end up shelling out a couple grand at some point. Oh well, if anyone has any ideas...they'd be appreciated.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
go to a "Ma and Pa" guitar shop and make good friends with the people there. Might give you a discount.

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

guitarted
Chatterbox

Canada
487 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  1:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Macht's got the right idea. It's all about going to a small guitar business and getting to knwo the people there. Often the owners are musicians more than they are salespeople.

I used to get guitar lessons at this one place and i started getting great student discounts. But also, sometimes the guy would give me free strings etc..

He gave me 110$ off a Peavey amp once too! (thats like 80 USD)
the amp was worth like only a little more than half a grand too! (half a grand in CDN dollars)

Tim, come to Canada!
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  01:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The guys at my local music store know me simply as "the guy with a ponytail that always pays with gift cards." They order strings for me and keep them behind the counter...I asked them do order them once, and they've been doing it for me ever since (These are 12 string...strings...heavier gauge for low tuning...). So yeah, befriend your local vendor, it will reward you. And buy a Martin.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  03:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As much as the ma & pa dealers are more personable, think about the advantages of buying from a larger chain: they buy so many pieces that, if you can work the salesman down enough, you can get close to their cost price which is significantly lower than that from the small shop. Also, they might offer service deals or at least a place to come and complain to when your guitar warps a bit or has any other problem (intonation, action, etc).

I think that a lot of the bigger chains are really cold-hearted but if you can work a hard sale, you could end up with a good price. Just a thought.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  7:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If the salespeople work on commision, see if you can find out when they get paid. They will give you a better deal so they can get some extra commision money right before their payday.

I did this once and got $300 knocked of a Gibson SG Special.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000