does he teach?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dorian
Is Anybody Here?

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  11:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Dorian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey does anybody know if Tim teaches anybody?

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  01:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.

He did a long time ago, we had some guy around the board for a while who said that he took lessons from Tim. Anyone else remember that guy?

I think Tim has a lot of things to do, ie: Spending time with family, working on his new double disc album, the Dave and Friends set up, his own touring. So his TIMe is limited, and I think he has better things to do than teach other people.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  01:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ugh, I would ahte teaching/getting taugh.

teachers just limit people's talen/style basically.

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  12:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macht

ugh, I would ahte teaching/getting taugh.

teachers just limit people's talen/style basically.

Man that is total bullshit dude. The problem with that is that their no balance at all...so you could end up learning your own "technique" which easily could hinder you, or hurt you on your instrument, or make you play not to the best of your ability. Without a teacher you don't have anyone to bounce ideas or questions off of, you're just playing to a wall, and if it sounds good enough for you, then that's it, you have no way of acheiving a high level of perfection. Do you really think that, for instance, people all over the realm of classical music, jazz, indian music, just to name a few, are completely self taught, or that they were hindered by a teacher.

The other balance of course is if you are being taught to be taught by several teachers in your life, with different viewpoints, so that you can decide to pick and choose the best ideas from your teachers.

Let me guess too, that you don't believe in transcribing or learning tunes that other people have written?

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

[quote]Originally posted by Macht

ugh, I would ahte [sic] teaching/getting taugh.

teachers just limit people's talen [sic]/style basically.

shut the fuck up. i've never heard a more ridiculous statement.

tell any classical performer, most any jazz performer that lessons made them worse, and stunted their potential. they'll just laugh in your face. people who don't take lessons and rationalize it with "it ruins your style" are people who are too lazy to work to get better, or too close minded to try a new technique or a new approach. all i know is i'm way better than i used to be after the years of lessons i took and am taking. i continue to learn. but i also experiment and try other things out. just because you're taking lessons doesn't mean it's the only thing you can do, and you can't anything other than what you're being taught. any rational person would realize this.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  1:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you just insulted everyone who takes lessons, by the way, so don't complain about the tone of my post.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Macht
Chatterbox

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Macht an AOL message  Reply with Quote
sorry about the harshness of that, that was just a LOT of genarlizing. I meant to say, the guitar teacher here is really a dumbass.

I am also sorry if I offended anyone, I did get taught for like 2 months. I tried to learn from the guitat teacher here who was a complete dumbass to me and only claimed that there one was only one technique.

Again I'm sorry for rashness fo that post :P

I guess I'm still being taught, me and my friends bounce of each others techniques and styles.

I was acting like a jackass. I let my bias against one teacher affect all teachers

Authorities here are alert
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  02:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
s'alright, man. i've had some bad teachers, too. it can be frustrating.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's the biggest part of taking lessons. Who your teacher is, what kind of person they are, etc, etc. That's one of the reasons I've never taken lessons for an extended period of time, because I've never found someone that I've been happy with. Some teacher's are so damn controlling that it just drives me apeshit.

Glad to see you are still lurking around VictorWootenFan!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah man, i'm in and out a little...it's the summer, i've been lazy and getting back online more and hittin' up a few boards...

yeah, the thing with lessons man is even if you don't like your teacher, or think he's teaching you bad stuff or boring stuff...i almost guarantee there is something to learn from it all. Even with amateurs, or people who aren't musicians, there is always something to learn from everyone.

A good example, i started working at a job upgrading some computers, and there's this cool hawaian feller i work with. Well we were talking someday, and he was telling me about his brother. He goes, "my brother, he doesn't just sing, he really projects. See when he sings music he lives it, he gets into the lyrics, gets into the melody, and really sings like that song is how his life is." Now this guy gave me some great advice, and he just works on computers. I just thought, "man, i've never even considered the importance of lyrics, or to really think about the essence of the emotion of a song, etc.. or in that light at least.."

you just gotta be open to what's around you...

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

picasso71
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  2:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think its good to take lessons when you are starting in somewhat intermediate, but after you are really really good, its good to maybe get tips and maybe a lesson ehre or there from someone, but more of its just your own practicing and what you want to do and hard you want to excell
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  9:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guitar teachers are just like any other teachers. The good ones will help you to improve your skill, dexterity, and knowledge, while helping you to develop your OWN style. The bad ones will push their own will upon you. The key, obviously, is to find the good ones.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  01:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the kind that I've experienced, the bad ones. It really puts a bad taste in your mouth for lessons. So most things I learn, I learn from friends, who say: "Oh, check this out, this scale is really cool." Or I'll say: " Hey, what you were doing was really cool, show me how to do that!"

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Dorian
Is Anybody Here?

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  4:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Dorian an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Learn from a good teacher definitely does not impede your progress, but finding a good teacher is hard.

Anybody know of a good teacher in long beach california. ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000