Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2001 :  4:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals....what's up?

Just wondering if anyone has heard of the guitarist Pete Yorn. I saw him perform in Portland, Oregon last Friday night and I was extremely unimpressed. Is he just bad, or was it because he was biligerent? I'm assuming he must be somewhat good, maybe in the recording studio, considering there were tons of people there and they knew the words to the songs. I just thought his songs were too short and his lyrics seemed really repetitive (like the same two words 12 times in a row). I also was under the assumption he was an acoustic guitarist, but he only played one song on acoustic...the rest were electric.

Also, the opening band was Orgasmo Zero (I think) and they were pretty good.

I am sooo glad that there are artists like Timmy and Dave!

P.S. I just finished my hell week of two hard midterms, a career fair and three job interviews - WEW!

:) JEN (:

InterpretingThePast
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2001 :  4:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw pete yorn's video and I didn't like it. I sounds too whiny and drabe. Not that whiny and drabe isn't good, but this guy just doesn't make it work. He is on hbo's reverb next saturday if you want to check him out further. I don't think I will ever dig his music.

dane

Go to Top of Page

InterpretingThePast
Is Anybody Here?

16 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2001 :  4:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry reverb is on wed. nights

Go to Top of Page

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2001 :  5:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too was under the impression he was an acoustic player. I bought his cd with that in mind. There were like maybe 2-3 halfway decent songs on there and the rest just seamt like he could have done so much more with the songs he had left. Just my opinion though

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2001 :  9:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
haha. i'm not impressed with him either. but i have this friend who's absolutely obessed with pete yorn. i mock her constantly....then i get beat. ah well.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2001 :  08:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey JenJen, when I say the name of your post I was so worried we were going to have a parting of the ways. I was all set to tell you how much I think he sux, and BOOM! you beat me to the punch. I saw him in DC before I left on tour(I work at a club so I have to endure alot I don't necessarily like) and he was horrendous. Just as bad as that video that I could not seem to escape. Luckily I have not heard hide nor hair of him since I left on tour until your post. As they say in Office space, "You've been missing Pete Yorn" (answer) "I wouldn't say I have been missing him" HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2001 :  3:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad that I wasn't missing something really spectacular. I was worried that so many people had known about him and I was out in the blue. It's nice to know everyone else feels the same. As far as Office Space goes......"You like Pete Yorn? Um, yeah, I'm gonna have to sort of DIAGREE with you there........."

Go to Top of Page

KevinGTArch
Is Anybody Here?

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2001 :  3:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinGTArch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I find myself in the same boat as everyone else. I live here in Atlanta (watched Tim play and met him last night, YEAH!) and our radio station 99x has been singing the praises of Pete Yorn for months now. I just can't see what all the hype is about. Even though after I've heard one of his songs (typically "For Nancy") I find myself humming the lyrics, I think it's just because they are, as mentioned early, very repetitive. I have a friend who just thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread and he saw him in a free concert (thank god he didn't pay to see him) a few weeks ago which I missed (well didn't REALLY miss) because I was out of town. I don't think Pete Yorn is bad, I just think his music leaves a lot to be desired - it just lacks a certain depth.

Kev
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2001 :  3:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"I told those fudge-packers that I liked Michael Bolton"

LOL, I don't know why I haven't bought that DVD yet, I think I'll buy it for my roomates and I for X-Mas!

Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2001 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin~

That was damn funny! I busted out laughing when I read your response (which got me really wierd looks from the other students in the computer lab - oops ). "I believe you have my stapler.."

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  03:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen Jen, Looks like you only have 15 pieces of flash. The minimum required. Maybe you ought to do something about that. HMMMMMMM(as long as none of them are for Pete Yorn, you should be OK)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  12:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it pieces of "flare?" Or am I thinking of something different?
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah its flare.

You know the nazi's had flare... they made the jews wear.

Patriotism is a maggot in their heads. - Henry D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

suckafish
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey yall, how's it going...ummm yeah..i also went and saw Mr. Yorn and he didn't seem to involved in his music seeing how he was piss drunk.
I also was under the impression that it was going to be an accustic show,, because i have his cd and that's what I expected.
Yeah, those TPs reports need some more work done on them before he gets back on stage. Until then, take care
Hi Jigga
later skaters
Tim Reynolds WEW! now that's a guy that can rock.

M@tt
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2001 :  06:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good catch Silky, Indeed you are correct as I think Saint Jude already pointed out. I am sure it was late and I probably had no sleep. Forgive me my indiscretion.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy ( <>..<> )
Go to Top of Page

jen-jen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2001 :  1:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SUCKAFISH!!!!!

You finally decided to sign up and post! Yeah, that Pete Yorn concert did suck.

"Give me the O face! O, O, O."
"It's called a jump-to-conclusions mat!"

Hi Jigga!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000