HUGE Tablature Compilation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jimiforrest
Try A Little Harder

Oman
52 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  02:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jimiforrest's Homepage  Send Jimiforrest an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Seeing the fact that we have unprecedented access to so much material, I have made it my personal goal to tab out as many soloes as I can. So the way I see it, why not tab out as many songs with Tim in the them as we can?

I thought I could do it alone, but the amount is just staggering. And it is often said that work is done better with company than alone.

Before I ask you this, I was wondering how many of you are avid tabbers? Also, such a task requires planning, such as how should we put the tabs in a format thats good for everybody. Thinkin powertabs because I find it easiest to tab with.

Many many questions, thought it might be interesting to ask

Theres a country called Oman?

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  11:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I dunno what you mean by solos ( "soloes"... )... do you mean live solos? because they change every night, and the general consensus of the people who happen to be the better tabbers around here is that it would be counterintuitive to tab individual solos since they are not "planned" or composed; they are improvised and to replicate them note-for-note would undoubtedly take the life out of them in some way. Obviously we can find recurring themes in some of Tim's solos that give structure and mood/attitude to some of his works ( as well as works of other artists), and I'm sure we'd be glad to find those main themes, but also leave the door open for us to flow freely just like the master himself.
Otherwise, do you just mean his guitar solos in general? after all, most of his recorded work (under his name) is solo guitar. I made a "plea" in a different post about some of these songs. Hopefully people will hear my cry and work together to work on these songs. Good luck!

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  11:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jemez, what were some of those songs?

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  11:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ive tabbed out many of his solos for myself, from Dave and Tim Shows and so on, Note for note solo's for His work on Dave songs... But i don't know if that's what you had in mind, either way, you tell me what to tab, and i'll help. later.

Go to Top of Page

Jimiforrest
Try A Little Harder

Oman
52 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  12:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jimiforrest's Homepage  Send Jimiforrest an AOL message  Reply with Quote
improvised still doesn't mean we can't adapt it into our own playing. it's not like we are going to relive the solo note for note. We'll practice it that way, but when improvising by ourselves, we can use the inspirations from the solos we learned to further our playing.

Tim says in one of his interviews "the best way to play like me is to not play like me" but we're not trying to play like him, we're just drawing inspiration from him

I will have every Crush, Two Step and All Along the Watchtower from 98DMB soon. And the Crush's from 03's T&D

Was gonna work on LIOG next, but I'm not sure what scale hes using, mixolydian or the major? And insight?

Theres a country called Oman?
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  12:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jemez. I don't see any point in tabbing out his solos. And I do not think that solos Tim has done with Dave should be hosted on the site. That's generally the kind of thing you do over at DMBTabs.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  10:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I gather that the solos you mean are the ones from his stuff from DMB.
Silky, some of those songs were Stranger in a Strained Land, Open Up, Let In, the Wayfarer ( yeah, the main part, not the crazy slapping part. I think the song in general is an excellent one)
Also... electric stuff! Sure, it's tough, but it's also fun to rock out once in a while.

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  5:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Id have to agree that Solos to Dave music should Remain a "dmbtabs" Thing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000