Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Open tuning question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalin
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  3:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Dalin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have used open G tuning for a while now, but I recently bought a 12-string and wanted it in open G, but I wanted to take off some string tension so I tuned down every string a full step. Does this mean I am in open F? I thought that was something else.

Was/ Is
d c
g f
d c
g f
b a
d c

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  3:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to say that you are now in F.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  4:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I suggest this to everyone that pops in with a 12 string question...Tune that fucker down to C#! It'll ahve so much balls...but a step down is cool. I use C# because it's safe to use heavier strings, and I'm a sucker for the heaviest strings I can get. Try using a set that's around .054-.012. It'll sound better, and fuller. Just make sure your guitar can handle it. If you tune down to D or C# it should be okay...I keep my 6 in C# with .060-.014 strings, and it's just a shitty Ibanez, so your twelve should be all right...Oh...try Open C tuning on a 12...It's CGCGCE(or F) it's got some major balls man...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000