12-string or mandolin?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2001 :  12:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I get a 12-string or a mandolin? I love playing either one. I can't decide!

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2001 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just get a 12-string mandolin.

No really, I have a 12 string and I love it. Really love it. It sounds so nice when someone good plays it. It even makes me sound decent sometimes, which is pretty amazing, really.

Not that I know anything about mandolins, tho. Depends on how and to whom you are playing, really. I'd say a 12 string would be much more accessible. More generally useful, if you will.

But anyway...

Peace

-Jason-

'F*** that, man, I don't play songs. I jam.'
Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  10:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, both are cool sounding and fun to play. A 12-string would be more useful and the mandolin would just be for kicks really. Yeah I think i'll get a 12-string. You guys have any suggestions? 'm not big on tone but really big on playability. I have this Washburn D-10 thats $250 and the sounds is decent but It plays really good. so any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

IndianaJames
Is Anybody Here?

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  11:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Send IndianaJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Seagull (www.seagullguitars.com, I think) makes really good, fairly affordable 12-strings. I've heard nothing but raves from those who own or have played them, so you may want to check them out if you can find one near you. By the way, how long does it take to learn the mandolin? I've got a good grasp on the guitar, is the cross-over easy or tough?

Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it very easy. It's just the Low E,A,D, and G on the guitar and octaves of those. It just has a unique sound and is very fun to play. I'll look at those Seagull guitars. Thanx. Kepp 'em comin'.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah. I've got a Washburn D12, and I really want a 12-string for Christmas, primarily because the 12-string Tim songs I play on my guitar sound like crap. How much would one of those seagull ones cost? (the website isn't connecting for me)

On a side note, I read somewhere in here that all of Tim's 12-string songs are tuned up half a step. Is that true?

Go to Top of Page

IndianaJames
Is Anybody Here?

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  11:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Send IndianaJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
www.seagullguitars.com

Sorry for the mistake in previous post.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000