New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  07:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153478&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

"I cannot stand Tim Reynolds"

wow...

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  08:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Howie Day does almost the same thing but better.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  09:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Please remember these are personal opinions and really no reflection on Tim Reynolds as an artist or a person.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy:

Please remember these are personal opinions and really no reflection on Tim Reynolds as an artist or a person.

Yeah, especially the personal opinions of people on Nancies.org. No offense to the people who run it, but lots of people on that board tend to say things that make them look like jackasses. And I bet if someone was to insult Dave on that thread, everyone would jump on them like it was their brother that was being insulted.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  1:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by genome

quote:

vwf, if you really wanted to crawl under people's skin, just quote the guy genome quoted and say something like "John Mayer does almost the same thing as Dave but better."

remember, that's if you want to receive death threats from nancies.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pants_happy

quote:
Originally posted by genome

quote:

vwf, if you really wanted to crawl under people's skin, just quote the guy genome quoted and say something like "John Mayer does almost the same thing as Dave but better."

remember, that's if you want to receive death threats from nancies.

I'm on it like a fat man on a hot dog! ;)

Yay for controversy!

Normally i don't like nancies as well, especially the dave discussion part, but i actually met a nancy in person this weekend, he invited me to his party, and he was a really cool guy, and i had a good time. i have more faith in them now, after meeting one, but there still are idiots!

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  3:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt bother. And i love a good argument.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  4:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Insanity over there. vwf, I totally agree with your prespective. No use posting on Nancies though, don't want to get flamed into oblivion.

Oh, and the John Mayer line almost made me piss myself.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

phousse
Is Anybody Here?

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  5:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm almost have the opposite but i would'nt go as far as saying I
cant stand Dave Matthews. I'm stopped going to DMB concerts because of no lead guitarist + they stopped jamming out their songs. No they just play the 3 minute songs and end it. I swear i say boyd yawning
cause he had nothing to do.
Go to Top of Page

Gravedigger
Try A Little Harder

82 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  7:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gravedigger's Homepage  Send Gravedigger an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just remember, even the rest of the DMB community makes fun of people on nancies for their views are "DMB is god, nothing else is good"

99% of DMB love tim when plays with DMB, and prob 50% even enjoys solo stuff.

The howie day comment made me laugh, plenty of people loop, but to compare howie and tim is like comparing Radiohead and Justin Timberlake

db.etree.org/smyry52
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  01:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah man, howie day to tim is like mayer to dave, it's great because it's really true!

Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
people took that mayer comment rather civally, i'm quite impressed. as for tim and howie, i agree that they're completely different. but, if tim were as famous as dave, anyone who used a delay pedal, looped anything, or used special effects in general would be accused of copying tim. just like idiots around here, pick up an acoustic guitar (you don't even have to play anything) and right away everyone's like "Hey, it's Dave Matthews". you know, because dave invented the acoustic guitar, and is god. i mean i love the man, but come to grips with reality. and i'll use a smily here to lighten this post up a bit, , there you go.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
pick up an acoustic guitar (you don't even have to play anything) and right away everyone's like "Hey, it's Dave Matthews". you know, because dave invented the acoustic guitar, and is god. i mean i love the man, but come to grips with reality.

I agree totally. I think that it's that attitude that is part of what hurts John Mayer in the DMB community. Does he have a similar sound? Sure... but it's possible for someone to be influenced by someone else without "ripping off" the sound. It was only a matter of time before Dave Matthews style began to become a big influence in other, younger songwriters. But I agree with you that not everyone that can hold their own on an acoustic guitar is trying to rip him off.

If it were the case that influence = stealing... every band out there with an electric guitar should catch hell for being "influenced" by Zeppelin, or Nirvana, or PJ etc.

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  9:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Silky The Pimp

I agree totally. I think that it's that attitude that is part of what hurts John Mayer in the DMB community. Does he have a similar sound? Sure... but it's possible for someone to be influenced by someone else without "ripping off" the sound. It was only a matter of time before Dave Matthews style began to become a big influence in other, younger songwriters. But I agree with you that not everyone that can hold their own on an acoustic guitar is trying to rip him off.

If it were the case that influence = stealing... every band out there with an electric guitar should catch hell for being "influenced" by Zeppelin, or Nirvana, or PJ etc.

Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, Metallica (you cant deny their influence)...

BUT, I happen to dislike most other musicians that hold the same singer/songwriter approach as Dave does. Johnson, Mayer, Day, Mraz... Just not my thing.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Too many notes..."

Interesting. It's always neat to watch a thread grow at Nancies.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  12:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know man, all it takes is a few assholes(like myself in a few posts), and then the flame wars start. Thanks for contributing, so far all the anti tim stuff has been "he's weird" "he sounds high and squeaky on dave matthews' ballads", and the "too many notes" arguement.

ah well, this'll be fun! like shooting ducks in a barrell..

Go to Top of Page

Katchoo
Try A Little Harder

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  1:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy:

Yeah, especially the personal opinions of people on Nancies.org. No offense to the people who run it, but lots of people on that board tend to say things that make them look like jackasses. And I bet if someone was to insult Dave on that thread, everyone would jump on them like it was their brother that was being insulted.

They do. Actually, they tend to take it personally. And then they turn around and try to cushion it with a "but everyone is entitled to their own opinion" line. Whatevah...

Slavish fans suck.
(booo!)
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like how when I brought up the question: "Have any of you ever listened to Tim's acoustic solo material?" the thread died.

Listen to the music and the musician, before you condemn it and say you don't like it! Assclowns...

I'll give it one more shot...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  7:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm seriously so happy the only time I ever have to go over to nancies is when Dave and whoever is going to be on tour in my part of the country. I tried to resist fanning the flames on the thread, but was given no choice. Let's just be happy threads like these aren't started on anyoneseenthebridge.com, that board is just out of control.

Once everyone on the thread responds to my post of Dave vs. Tim with Tim (and the people say Dave I won't even deal with), things will become clearer. But it won't. SIGH. They are so blinded by lust for Dave and Dave only!

I can't even give a helpful post with some gentle commentary without getting flamed...

http://nancies.org/boards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154205

If the Tim thread get's any worse I may have to resort to The Chewbacca Defense

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  11:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i'm just now flaming some guy who's like "i've played guitar for 8 years, and tim never uses tension and release, he just dicks around on guitar"

I replied with "you must be a pretty terrible guitarist then."

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  03:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna take a breath, drink a flamin Moe, and wait a day before shouting at the idiots.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Katchoo
Try A Little Harder

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  2:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's put the nancies thing in perspective. With 26,000+ people on their boards, you can't help but run into some knuckleheads.

There are a lot of people who "don't get" music, and there are also lot of passive listeners. So count yourself lucky that you don't fall into those ranks and can tell some good shit when you hear it.

Screw the haters.

K.
Go to Top of Page

Katchoo
Try A Little Harder

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  3:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I put in my two cents. Don't know if it'll matter at all.

K.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  02:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the games go on, and NO ONE on the Nancies board has responded when I asked them if they had listened to one of Tim's solo albums. Jeez...

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000