Confusion. Observation. MIND CONTROL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  4:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/10/13/monkey.brains.reut/index.html

quote:
Researchers: Monkeys Use Mind To Move Objects

Monday, October 13, 2003 Posted: 11:22 AM EDT (1522 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Dr. Miguel Nicolelis knew he had nailed it when the monkey stopped using her arm to play the computer game.

An implanted device had allowed the monkey to control the game using only her thoughts, Nicolelis and colleagues report in the Public Library of Science Biology journal on Monday.

And changes in the way the monkey's brain cells worked suggested the brain was physically adjusting to the device, they reported in the new online science journal.

Nicolelis hopes the device will eventually allow paralyzed patients to regain some ability to use their upper bodies -- virtually, if not physically.

"The monkey suddenly realized that she didn't need to move her arm at all," Nicolelis said in a statement.

"Her arm muscles went completely quiet, she kept the arm at her side and she controlled the robot arm using only her brain and visual feedback."

Three years ago, Nicolelis and colleagues at Duke University in North Carolina reported that they had allowed a monkey to move a robotic arm using only her thoughts and implanted electrodes. But the monkey continued to move her arm.

In the latest experiment, they said two monkeys figured out what was happening and played a computer game using thoughts alone.

Recognizing brain patterns
"It's very different because these animals now receive feedback information," Nicolelis added in a telephone interview.

"They could learn to correct their errors and achieve a very high level of proficiency, using brain activity alone to reproduce reaching and grabbing hand movements."

Nicolelis and colleagues first implanted microelectrodes -- each smaller than the diameter of a human hair -- into the brains of two female rhesus macaque monkeys named Aurora and Ivy.

One got 96 electrodes in her frontal and parietal lobes -- known to be the source of commands for muscular movement. The second monkey got 320 implants.

The electrodes transmit faint signals to a computer system the researchers have developed to recognize patterns of signals that represent particular movements by an animal's arm. These signals are translated and in turn control a robotic arm.

At first the animals were taught to use a joystick to control the cursor of a video game -- which Nicolelis said they enjoyed playing. The researchers recorded and analyzed the electrical activity of the neurons near the implanted electrodes.

Learning to control cursor
As the game became more complex, the monkeys learned how to control the cursor.

The group has started working with a small group of human patients, but Nicolelis said he could not give any details yet.

Potential users include 200,000 people in the United States alone who have partial or nearly total permanent paralysis. An estimated 11,000 people a year suffer severe spinal cord injuries, for instance, and sufferers of Parkinson's disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also called ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease, may also become paralyzed.

"We hope the brain will learn to adapt to the devices and incorporate them as if they were the patient's own limbs," Nicolelis said.

Could help humans
His team is working to miniaturize the device so it can be useful to a human patient outside a laboratory setting.

"There is certainly a great deal of science and engineering to be done to develop this technology and to create systems that can be used safely in humans," he added.

"However, the results so far lead us to believe that these brain-machine interfaces hold enormous promise for restoring function to paralyzed people."

As cool as this is, in the scifi sense, this is fucking SCARY when you really think about it. we've successfully bridged the gap between mind power and the outside physical reality, and its just going to get scarier from there. And thats not even taking into consideration what happens when the scientists say "ok, the monkey can control a robotic arm with his brain. now, lets see if we can control his arm with our machine".

~pw'oikr
~( ">

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  4:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummmmmm, I heard about this on the news and having a science background, I was thrilled! I found it exciting and wonderful. I never thought of the downside of this.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  5:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting but quite scary, as new technology always is.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  5:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

I never thought of the downside of this.

all i thought of were downsides to this
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  6:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It seems like this technology could also be used for people with prosthetic limbs... for a patient to be able to control a prothetic arm, for example, with their minds rather than the old pully system would allow for much more complex movements of the prosthesis. I think this is very cool stuff... It doesn't worry me nearly the same way as A.I.

Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  6:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think its fantastic on that level, especialy for parallasis victims. I just see too much potential for mindfuck

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  05:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this was the monkey used.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  10:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

maybe this one...he seems upset over something!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Meat
Try A Little Harder

56 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  01:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Meat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well let's see here...

we have cloning...
we have mindbots...
we have politicians...

That ain't a formula for grandma's biscuits people.
I smells trubba!

Sounds like an unstoppable robot or android army
coming up. Which has the potential to be frighteningly
awesome, or frighteningly... unawes... disaweso... bad.

"Have you ever tried saying: 'Mike and Frank?'"
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BEWARE THE MONKEY BORGS.

i can't wait. it's going to be some kind of primate uruk-hai warrior. better than people getting killed.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  4:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uruk-Hai! That's awesome.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page