Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 My night..Wow!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  2:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh man where to start....ok rewind to thursday. I wake up, go to school..ya know another partially normal day. So its about lunch time, and this kid comes up to me. I vaguely know him. He is my brothers age (junior in HS). He said that he was playin in the Raiderpalooza (our school Concert) and he wanted me to play some lead guitar. So I was like ya man thats cool. So I go to his house that night and we play for about an hour, go over the songs, and I leave.

(Next day,day of the show)

Ok. so I go to school, throw my guitar in the car and leave. Another normal day at school.

(after school)
I go to the parkin lot and hop in Ryans car(the kid who is singin and playin rhythm guitar) and we go to his house.

(at his house)
so we get back to his house. His mom is in the basement cleaning up what she thought was a dog pee stain in the carpet. this was actually spilled beer. funny stuff.
so we run through the songs one more time and jamed on one pretty long and lost track of time. FUCK! WE'RE LATE! so we throw his 5,000$ sound system and PA in to his SUV and take off. Ryan is PISSED OFF! so we drive to Arapahoe rd. which usually would go through to our school but its bumper to bumper. role over crash covering 3 lanes. Ok side roads. We try to take E-470, a toll way, but totally miss it, so we had a 10 min stint on I-25 and by now Ryan is one mad kid. He is flipping people off, hittin the dash and sterring wheel,screaming, he is just going off (usually this is a peaceful hippie kid).so we finally get on E-470 and we are supposed to be on stage by this time. Ryan calls a kid and telles him to call the guy directing this that we are stuck in traffic. We were flying down E-470 in a ford Escape going 100mph with 5,000+ dollars worth of crap in the back! Holy shit! so we finally get to school and set up our shit and we go on second to last and we get the longest set. We play two of Ryan's songs and play TWO STEP! I could have asked for a better version. It was awesome. then after a 8-10 min two step Mr. Johnson (the director) comes up to us "Play another one! Make it like 10 min man" (he was so baked) and so we look at eachother...FUCK! 1 hr of practice doesnt help in this situation. so we think for a sec and both just look at eachother and say Watchtower! so we blast into that. I was playin Slide on that song it was sweet! so we end on that. and get a standing O and it was awesome.

(after the Palooza)
we go to BIG PARTY! 200 kids there...150 of them were girls me and ryan still have our guitars so we just played an hour of grateful dead and he was just shitfaced and gone so it was fun.

so thats pretty much that for ya :)

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My night...

My friend Remy and I have been playing live shows lately. Mostly open mic stuff, sometimes I can talk a manager of a place in my town into letting us play for longer. This was one of those nights. We were to play at a bar in San Rafael, the owner told me to get together an hour worth of material. The night we are supposed to play there's going to be karaoke and we were supposed to use the speakers for it before they got started.

So I get to the bar and the owner is nowhere to be found. I'm thinking great, he said the karaoke guy is kind of an asshole. Remy and I get up and are planning on playing six songs, then taking a break, then coming back and playing three more. First hiccup of the night comes - the karaoke people want to sing some songs before we go on. No problem, it's their setup. They get up there and do three songs...terribly. I'm getting excited because Remy is a better singer on a order of magnitude than these people. We get up and play If Love is a Red Dress (Maria McKee) and House of the Rising Sun (Bob Dylan). Right after that the lady leans over and says, "are you guys done?" I say no, Tony told us to have an hour worth of stuff and we're going to play a few more then take a break. She says that's not going to work (she's jealous of Remy upstaging her). So we do one more (I Can't Hold Out - Eric Clapton) and get off the stage. People are asking me why we got cut off so abruptly and I tell them the story. Meanwhile there's a kid so amped on crystal meth I could smell it trying to hang out with us, asking to use my guitar, hitting on my girlfriend and everyone elses girlfriend, and trying to tell me my rythm is off. I talk to the karaoke people and negotiate that in a half-hour we get to go back on and play three more songs. So I get a few more beers in me and wait.

We get back on the stage and everyone is excited again. You have no idea how good of a singer Remy is. I was supposed to record the show, but the wouldn't let me hook up my mixer in-between their equipment. Bastards. Not only that, but they wouldn't let me use a fucking cassette tape on their system to record it. I tell them we're going to do three more songs. I let it be known that I'm pissed off and there's going to be a surprise when we finish. We do Angel From Montgomery (John Prine), That's The Way (Led Zeppelin), and True Love Waits (Radiohead). Right after that song, before they can get the mic back from Remy, I drop my guitar down to B and play a ten minute Kundalini Bonfire...insanely. I'm so proud of myself, I actually did justice to the song. The entire bar shut up and formed a semi-circle around me. I finish up and go out to have a smoke. I've never gotten so many complements on my guitar playing! Hell, even the bitchy karaoke lady liked it. Everyone else that came to see us play sang a bit of karaoke after that then we took off. What an excellent night!

Pics Here

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  07:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah one great night, two great people! Glad to read these! Tom, wish I could have been there! You made my night when you told me about your gig!

Therippa, sorry that wasn't recorded, bummer! Would liked to have heard your version of Kundalini Bonfire!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  02:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My night.... I went to bed.

Yeah, your story was WAAAAY cooler. Sounds like it ended up being a great night, and that is a great story you can tell for years.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  8:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
True true. I deffinitly wont forget this anyTIMe soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000