Tim in a guitar trio?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  3:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently picked up A Night in San Francisco...a live recording of Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco De Lucia, and it really blew my mind. To hear three of the best acoustic guitarists alive playing with and off of eachother is so awesome...if any of you don't have this you definitely need to run out and get it.

I was just wondering if Tim had ever or would ever perform in such a manner? I'd love to hear Tim mix it up with guys like these...it's so cool to hear such great players mixin it up and playing off of eachother.

Also...what do you guys think? Al DiMeola vs. Tim Reynolds on acoustic guitar? Tim is still my favorite guitarist of all time but I think that would be a great duel.

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  4:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
nah,i wouldnt want to see it. Overkill, know what i mean? kind of like that satrioni/vai/malmstein thing. Unless tim were to duet on a song with another guitarist, then it would be cool. I could see him match chops with anyone, though id much rather hear him have a go with Gilmour.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  11:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if tim did do the trio acoustic run, or trio electric, who do you think would be in it??

i could see him doing a trio string ensemble tour with greg howard, and leo kottke.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane
Is Anybody Here?

Brazil
24 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duel its stupid...
Satriani vs Malmsteen or vs Steve Vai, its seems a childrens...
Music is love not a duel to see who's better...
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think that G3 tour is a duel, just like guitar trio is not a duel, it's just 3 great great guitarist going out there together and putting on a helluva show individually, and then coming together in the end and playing together. they seem to be having a lot of fun, rather than just trying to show off who is better.

Go to Top of Page

Hurricane
Is Anybody Here?

Brazil
24 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay victorwooten, G3 isnīt duel...
But that things about: who play more notes for second?
who is more faster?
This is really important?
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  12:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO it's not. Sure all those guys can play fast, but when they play slow melodic tunes, people then say they suck, and ramble on about how *insert guitarist here* would've played it faster. I listen to G3 related stuff because it's melodic and rhytmic complexity. Vai, IMO, is the closest you are going to get(besides dweezil) to zappa type of music, and satch has plenty of ideas still in him. Personally i don't listen to yngwie much, but neo-classical guitar is a cool concept.

It's not about who plays faster, but if you're going to be a musician you have to be able to play it all, fast slow, soft loud, blues rock, harsh and quieter, lots of chords few chords, simple and complex. To be a true musician you have to have a balance between them, and lots of musicians(imo) cop out and don't get their chops up and don't learn all they can musically, and then write songs in G,C and D, and that's their entire career. That doesn't work for me.

Do you listen to any satch/vai stuff hurricane, out of curiosity?

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
recently picked up A Night in San Francisco...a live recording of Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, and Paco De Lucia, and it really blew my mind.

As it should! That is such a cool cd right there. The first track which I think is called "Medeterainian dance" or something along those lines is just phenomenal.

As for who I'd love to see TR solo with... well I'd love to see him play with either Lindsey Buckingham, or Tom Morello. I mean how cool would it be to see TR and TM just making crazy sounds off each other.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000