Tim Reynolds of the Dave Matthews Band
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  10:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I KNOW its the promoters fault and all, but its stil slightly anoying. cant do much about it though...

http://www.thechancetheater.com/schedule.html#chance

~pw'oikr
~( ">

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  11:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sigh*

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  12:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think everyone should call Dave: "Dave Matthews of TR3" or "Dave Matthews of the Pagan Underdogs." See what kind of response that fetches! Hehehe...

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
http://www.timreynolds.com/torrents
timreynoldsftp@hotmail.com
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  12:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a poster from 2001 that's a little better. "...from the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Duet Tour."

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  01:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

I've got a poster from 2001 that's a little better. "...from the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Duet Tour."

thats a lot better. It maintains the association yet doesnt do so in a false manner.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

smgallstars
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  10:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit smgallstars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erich,

Did you see, on that link you posted, who's playing on Oct. 4?
That's right... Stryper

Kinda Funny I think - maybe not... Just an excuse to say hello to you. It's been a while

Jason Drewes

Check Out My Band: http://www.mp3.com/smgallstars
mail to: coldengrey1@attbi.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  03:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We played somewhere once on the elecTRic TouR and the promoter had posters with DM's name BIGGER than TR's. I thought that was kinda misleading, not to mention an insult. I know why they do it, BUT they should at least try to do it in good taste. Don't worry, when the other pictures get up you will see it. I made sure to get pics. It was pretty laughable.

Note to promoters: This show’s success depends on the expectations of the audience being met. As a promoter, you bear responsibility for advertising and promoting this show correctly. Dave Matthews fans will enjoy this show if their expectations are not played with. This is Tim Reynolds, solo, with an acoustic guitar, playing instrumental music. This is NOT the electric TR3 band. This is NOT Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds. Do NOT expect Dave Matthews Band songs. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES imply, infer or allude to the presence of Dave Matthews. You may use the name “Dave Matthews” on posters, ads, or other promotions ONLY as follows (this is not a style sheet!):

Dave Matthews Collaborator

TIM REYNOLDS

SOLO ACOUSTIC

Tim Reynolds’ name is 100%, “Dave Matthews Collaborator” is NOT to exceed 50% of the size of “Tim Reynolds”. This is not only at the request of Tim Reynolds, but at the request of Dave Matthews’ management and attorneys as well (so don’t cheat—it isn’t worth it!). “SOLO ACOUSTIC” is CRITICAL to this performance. Tim Reynolds has a diverse repertoire and an equally diverse fanbase. It is of utmost importance that the nature of each performance be made clear so as to attract those fans and not disappoint others. Tim Reynolds’ publicist also has an admat to assist in the advertising and promotion of this show. Please contact her at your earliest convenience.

The above clause was straight from the contract that the club owners signed for the show. Of course that was for the acoustic tour and of course it was slightly different for the elecTRic TouR, basically just substitute elecTRic for the word akuzedick and you pretty much have it, I think you get the jist. It is different depending upon what kind of performance. The one for an older solo electric tour actually said pretty much the same thing only only ended with:

TIM REYNOLDS of Dave & Tim
TIM REYNOLDS, longtime collaborator with Dave Matthews
TIM REYNOLDS, guitar player on DMB recordings
are acceptable, but please use taste and discretion when promoting this in conjunction with the reputation and name of Dave Matthews.

After the fiasco that TouR became with us showing up and the shows were being advertised with pictures of TR with an akuzedick guitar for an elecTRic performance, we opted for the next elecTRic TouR to insert a clause asking that Dave Matthews name not be used to advertise the elecTRic performaces out of deference to the DM and DMB fans. We just didn't see what purpose it would serve. Of course I know what purpose the promoters would see it would serve, it would put bodies thru the door. Bodies who would probably go away feeling they had been ripped off because they had been expecting something totally different. It's a tough situation all the way around but I think as TIMe goes by it's getting better as the word is spreading about what TR is about and fewer people show up expecting CRASH.

Basically the promoters are business men and they want to make sure they fill there club. The best way to do that is appeal to widest audience and you do that by having the "name recognition". It really isn't hard to figure out when you stop and think about it. If it was your club you would probably want to do the same thing. BUT, you must remember not to overstep the line of trying to attract a crowd VS misrepresenting the show. It's awkward and I don't think there is a way for everyone to be happy so you just have to find some common ground where everyone can be a little bit happy.

This is all FYI since it sounds like it bugs you guys as well.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

prsmartin
Yak Addict

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  09:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit prsmartin's Homepage  Send prsmartin an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info Fluffy. Once again, you have educated us all! I know that the Grog Shop in Cleveland, Rams Head in Annapolis, and Little Brothers in Columbus are NOT advertising as TR with any affiliation with DM or DMB. It is nice to see that some people are getting the point. Just the three venues I have noticed since I'm goin to the shows. Just FYI. Thanks again Fluffy, and you make some pretty damn good educated points!!!

FTP INFORMATION:
69.171.44.51 - Port 21
User - tim
Password - reynolds
http://www.timreynolds.com/torrents
timreynoldsftp@hotmail.com
Peace...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  4:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Always glad when I can help!!!! Good to hear at least some of the venues are staying away from that kind of advertising since there will be an elecTRic guitar involved. LOL See you at the shows!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  10:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yikes... that's terrible. I am one of many who was introduced to TR from listening to DMB. But just because 2 artist blend well together, it doesn't make them any less when they are apart! I can understand from the experience point of view to tag on the Dave Matthews reference... it's that sort of "oh yeah... I've definately heard of him" sorta refresher, unfortunatly seeing as how TR isn't too mainstream. The club should do themselves the favor and make clear what an amazing concert that they will have... I'm sure as all hell too that by announcing that the concert is purely TR and not a drop of DMB, you'll get an entirely different crowds attention who would LOVE TR, but wants nothing to do with DMB
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Let's also not fail to metion that the promoter this thread was started about not only used DM's name on the promotion, but also SPELLED IT WRONG. Obviously, we're not dealing with the brightest of bulbs here.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000