Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Anyone a Tim Reynolds protege?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajimithing
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit ajimithing's Homepage  Send ajimithing an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am interested in finding someone who has basically studied Tim Reynolds, both solo and his contributions to the music of the Dave Matthews Band.

Looking for someone who has extensive knowledge of his effects setup, how they all work and what tyes of sounds come from them. Looking for someone who has Tim's style down to a T, soloing, and playing over the DMB tunes...

Basically, I am beginning to do some research and put together a show to put on tour, basically paying tribute to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds acoustic duo. I am looking to put a full-scale show on the road, probobly beginning in mid-January, lasting six weeks....approx. 30 shows around the country. Proceeds of the tour will be donated to charity (Bama Rags).

If you are a Tim Reynolds protege and interested in hitting the road playing in the style of Reynolds, drop me an email at ajimithing2001@cs.com

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  06:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not me!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  09:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok

www.davecahill.com

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  12:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about call tim up, see if he's doing anything?

Go to Top of Page

JemezRollingStream
Try A Little Harder

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send JemezRollingStream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
People say I play a lot like Tim. I have a DD-6 and a Morley. But I'm already playing with someone.

Tom

Not going anywhere for a while? Get a Sherpa.
Go to Top of Page

JemezFoodPeople
Chatterbox

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  01:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JemezFoodPeople's Homepage  Send JemezFoodPeople an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Are you asking if one of us can play a lot of TIM songs? or if we solo quickly and happen to know the chord progressions of DMB songs?

For all you know, I could play exactly like Tim... on the sitar!!

You've come to a great place to cherish TR's music, but I speak on behalf of myself ( and others I know) when I claim that nobody can really play in TR's style. Sure, we can master the solo's he recorded at the *one* show that people have recordings of from Luther College. That doesn't define a "style" though. None of those things are planned out, Tim's "style" is one that flows from his own heart in his own compositions. that he is able to put the same kind of creativity into OTHER people's songs ( Dave's) is beyond my feeble mind.
Are you looking for this? or somebody who can memorize solos? I would hope that you're looking for someone to blow up an improv every night of the tour with you!
This is not going anywhere, cept to say that you might have better luck finding a lead guitarist on one of the DMB board sites if it's a re-creation of the D&T tour you're looking for. I hopw you do well though! any kind of music that is inspired by GTIM has got to have some value in it.
What do the rest of you think?

"Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving
till the right action arises by itself?"
-Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

www.mattwinn.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  06:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all depends on what he's looking for. It appears like he's looking for someone who A)can play tim solo's in live at luther college perfectly, and can play a few tim solo songs or B)someone who's just a really great lead guitarist that knows a lot of DMB material, and could play his own solo songs, or maybe even a tim song or two.

Go to Top of Page

JemezRollingStream
Try A Little Harder

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  4:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Send JemezRollingStream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If that (^) is true, then don't look at me me! I'm not the fastest but I can rip it up! Most of the time I branch out and look for new things in a solo, which a lot of Dave fans don't often like. I'd love to send some of y'all my acoustic stuff that I do with my cousin. For most of the 6 songs I used the DD-6 and a compression sustainer. On 2 of them I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Just recently I've gotten the Morley Vol/Wah, but didn't use it on this recording. Drop me an email if you want to hear some of the stuff we did.

Tom
Dmb9D@aol.com

Not going anywhere for a while? Get a Sherpa.
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  8:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i would have to disagree with what you said about TR's style .... i think snyone can play TR's style ..... it just takes alot of practice ..... I mostly play by myself and sing ...... but when i solo it very much like TR's style .... TIMs solo style comes from his sitar playing ... grouped notes of three and lots of random bends, speed is key ( but only in certain cases ) ... Now I'm not trying to say that I'm the best guitar player, I'm saying it's very possible to get where TIM is and play his certain style .... he has a most definet Middle Eastern style with MOST of his music (acoustic music)... but to get the style is one thing all of us guitar players know very well..... PRACTICE..... Now TIM is a GREAT guitar player ... infact he's the best i have ever seen .... but that doesn't mean he's some sort of GOD (I know some mught disagree with me) ... I'm sure if you asked TR about he would tell you the same thing. This wasn't ment to be a hostile post ... i was just simply voicing my opinion.... Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  06:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you can get the basics of any guitar player's style down, but it's impossible to sound exactly like them, especially if it's one that improvises a lot, because they still are evolving as a musician. Anyone could get kurt cobain's style down, or standard rock and roll styles down, or fumble through a style similar to TR, but you can't say that you can play exactly like tim reynolds.

To me that's like saying you could play exactly like al Dimeola, or John Mclauglin, etc..

Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  09:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea it would be pretty difficult to play a TR exact solo, but then wheres the fun? I know Tim would say to use him as an influence then make your own style. Thats what I did. Hearing great musicians makes you relize whats possible, if we had no music to listen to, it would be a much greater task to learn guitar. It would probably be the most original sound ever, but lets face it, its impossible to never hear music and pick up the guitar, lol. I've been drowning myself in Django Reinhardt, and if you wanna hear some crazy guitar playing (besides TR of course) check out Django. He is a god to me. I really think that NO ONE can ever come to what he was doing before he died, especially with 3 fingers! He really, in my opinion, is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

But yea I got some live tracks on my site, I had my cd release party and had to do some live looping to try and recreate the sound on my cd (since i did 2 guitar tracks) it sounds really good, check it out!
http://www.davecahill.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  09:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if i was a guitar player(i'm bass), i wouldn't just try to take inspiration from tim, i'd take it from a variety of people. The top musicians of now are the ones that listening to the most music growing up, and tried to take a little from ALL of it, and not just focus on one thing. I try to take my inspiration from bassists, then guitar/piano for chords and melody, and good drummers(jazz drummers and tabla players) for rhythm. You get trapped if you just focus on 1 musician, cause even if you get to that level, you're just labeled a clone and are discarded.

So in conclusion, yes i will play guitar with you ajmithing! /sarcasm/

Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you guys 100%..... musicans style is like genetic make-up ..... you get a whole bunch of different styles ( from different musicans) and that pile of sound makes a new sound (your sound) so many people have inspired my guitar playing.... like Dave Matthews ... TR... Keller Williams... Neil Young...then bands like the Roots (R and B).... Reinhardt is a crazy son of a bitch on the guitar ..... no one today (that i have heard can do some of that stuff....) Reinhardt and TR would be a great concert ( HELL YES ).. right now i would say no one can play like Reinhardt ... but in the furture some one will come along and improve his style and make it even better..... cause that is just how it is ! I totally agree with focusing on more than one musican.... shit i listen to many styles to get influence.... rap.. bluegrass.... irish folk and scottish (baggpipes and jig).... even to middle eastern ( Ravi Shingar.... or however you spell his last name) ..... also if you want to be a musican you can't just play you have to have a message and a purpose ..... playing with heart is the most improtant thing when it comes to playing .... rubylith and victorwootenfan you know what i'm taliing about !! Well it's always a pleasure .. CHEERS

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ahmen!
Yea Reinhardt is amazing. No one will ever do what he did again, because of the times, his disABILITY, and the way he made his medlodies. SOmeone (like TR) will and has come along with a different style equally as amazing. Theres many great guitarists to be influenced by, not a single one is better, worse, they are all just different. Thats whats so much fun about listening to all different people. If there was ONE great guitarist, why wouldn't we all JUSt listen to him? know what i mean? hehe good cuz im not sure if i remember what imt alking about by now, im listening to Django and he just made me lose my concentration, lol.
later thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  8:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shankar. Ravi Shankar.

His daughter is Norah Jones too. Isn't that funny?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  9:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ravi shankar, zakir hussein. ANY of the indian classical musicians are amazing.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  02:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ravi Shankar's daughter (not Norah Jones, but the one who kept his last name), is coming to my school. I hear she's supposed to be a chip off the old block. Maybe I'll check it out.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  2:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think her name is anoushka, anousha, something like that. Yeah, she's really good, i've heard some of her stuff, i'd def. check her out!

And she's GORGEOUS, much more so than norah(who is a cutie herself).

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  5:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought they looked a lot alike when I saw a picture of her.

I'm not much into that style of music currently, but I'd like to get more into it. Know what I mean? Like, I've been meaning to check more out and delve deeper, but musically I've had my plate full. That's it, I'll get the thirty bucks and go see her. Maybe that'll help kick it off for me.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  5:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds good to me...they do both look alike, but the indian daughter just looks hotter to me, who knows...

Def. go see it..any indian classical music performance is worth it..because you really get to see the true masters of music, who take their music VERY seriously.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  5:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bitching. That's what I'm looking for!

Oh yeah...flamin' Moe Daddio.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  6:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Norah really Ravi's daughter? And if his other daughters hotter and can play how can I hook up with them?

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  7:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, she really is Ravi's daughter she just took her mother's maiden name. I imagine she did so she could play the style of music she does and not be expected to play classical Indian.

As for the second part of your question, I have no idea.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  11:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is daughter, Anoushka, looks EXACTLY like Norah...Maybe a little more Indian-ish, but very close...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  11:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anoushka is a sitar player, and plays with her papa at every show. She's great, although not as good as Ravi. You cna hook up with her by sending me three cartons of Camel Turks and a bottle of Wild Turkey. I'll take care of the rest.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  09:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

HOT HOT HOT

Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  8:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wow...just found this...wow
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  9:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote

two fineeeeeeee young ladies
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  1:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but that smile is freakin me oot...

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Takunda
Is Anybody Here?

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  12:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Takunda an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now I might be wrong, but I believe the reason Norah Jones is Norah Jones instead of Norah Shankar is because Although he is her father, she is an illegitimate child. And although she acknowledges him as her father, she did go through most of her life without even knowing him. But yea, I'm sorry that I'm adding to the digression of this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  02:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To return to the initial discussion and to get this thread back on track, we did have one of TR's past students offer up some valuable TR info. Here are the links if you would like to check out what he had to say:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2356

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2523

Hope this is the kind of info you guys were looking for.

OHHHH, and this one is a good read as well, at the beginning, before it degenerated into mindless banter as all our threads seem to do. LOL

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1079

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  9:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well today I was checking out some acoustics in the local shop and a guy came up and asked what it was that I was playing. I told him it was Decline in Reason by Tim Reynolds and he said it sounded good. So maybe I'm a protege. No j/k I'm no where near a protege I have my own style and actualy my own version of Decline in Reason. And I would never even consider to learning all of Tims solo's (Even if I could actually play them all) on Dave's songs when I can play my own. So guess I'm out of the question. But as for today maybe I made a new TR fan.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  03:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TR Task Force in effect!!! Conquering the world one soul at a TIMe!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

GutiarMasterXIII
Is Anybody Here?

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  11:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Send GutiarMasterXIII an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what kind of guitar Tim plays on Doom? Its a redish 12 string that is baritoned, but I cant tell what brand it is.

Red XIII
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000