Computer blues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK for the last 2-3 weeks my computer has been doing some funky stuff. basically it locks up, black screen of death (not blue) won't let me do anything after that. I usually disconnect the power supply (only way to get anything back up)then it's fine for awhile (an hour) then I get fatal application error messages when I'm doing something simple like checking email. Then it slows down..kicks me offline. Then, eventually, I get a black screen. I have plenty of harddrive space, RAM and all that. My system properties are all OK. I reformatted a few weeks back and didn't get the problem for quite awhile. Then it all started over again.

It has been just about the most frustrating 2 weeks ever, as I have things I NEED and WANT to do, online!!! Stuff I can't exactly do at work. and my "computer genius, fix anything, friend" is traveling for a MONTH. EEK!
Should I just buy a whole new computer? This one isn't that old, but not warrenty new.
Anyone have any ideas!

skefdawg
Is Anybody Here?

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Send skefdawg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You running Windows Me or XP? I highly recommend AGAINST using WinMe, it's notorious for f&(ing up one's PC .

I use Win2000 at work and XP pro at home. If your hardware checks out OK it just sounds like to me that you need a stable operating system.

I'll help you out the best i can.

S-
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have win ME...crap! someone else told me the same thing. I think you may be right. There are other clues happening that lead to that conclusion.
Good call....thanx!!! guess I won't get hasty and replace the harddrive....again!!

How do you like the XP?
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How much ram and stuff do you have? I know you said it was ok, but how much?

I have ME too, and I just reinstalled it onto a new hard drive (clean, from scratch) and it's working ok. Still BSODs occasionally, but that's because my cd-rom drive is a POS, not really due directly to the OS.

While ME might be at fault, I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion.

Are you doing anything specific when this happens? Any circumstances?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  1:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Evergreen, I had similar things happening to me all the time when I had ME, and now I have XP and I love it, no more problems. When your hacker buddy returns, see if he has a pirated disc to install XP or anything. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do that are just good housecleaning tips...

first of all, go to internet options, and clear your history, delete cookies, and delete internet files.

Then I would go to http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

that is a free online virus scan that runs and fixes anything.

also go to www.download.com and download a program called "ad aware" and run it. That will remove any ads and spyware type things from you computer.

after all of that, go to the start menu, accesories, system tools, and run the disc clean, and disc defragmenter. All of that might take you a good half a day, but it will hopefull help.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  2:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not that I've tried or anything, but they've made it pretty difficult to use copies of XP. When the update runs, MS picks out the copy and you get burned. Nothing major, I think it just prevents you from updating, but oh well.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
I can never get that to work for me. It always goes to about 95% or something, and then just stops. Might try it again tonight.

I agree with you about all the ad stuff, but if she just reinstalled the OS, then all that should have been cleaned.

Did you reinstall the OS or did you completely reformat?

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you guys are awesome...thanx. I have to run in a minute but when I get home later I'll do the ad kill thing

but......
I have a 20 gig harddrive and 256 ram.
I completely reformatted.
I have a norton complete system works for all the virus stuff. no virus activity lately.
when it happens, I'm online and checking email or surfing. Nothing to involved.
before reformatting, I was having some problems after loading a very large music file into guitar tracks pro for some editing. But haven't reinstalled the GTP program yet since and lost the big files.
I zapped temporary files, cookies and ran scan and defragment...(several TIMes heehee).
Thanks again Hopefully, I'll be back later on the home system
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh and the "hacker" (heehee)is a professional "computer fixer" guy who makes about 150 bucks an hour (and I want his job). (he doesn't charge me for repairs thank God), and I bet he can get me the real XP (no copies) for cheap.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hear ya on the frustrating part. Same sort of thing happened to me recently except my problem was definitely hardware. It is refreshing to take a break from a computer for a while when you are so used to using one so much.

Oh, and definitely do a clean install of XP. ME is notorious for this sort of thing.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen

I bet he can get me the real XP (no copies) for cheap.
Hey, if he can... um... I'll trade you some shows for a copy. But a copy like you were talking about, not a "copy". Seriously, if he can get a cheap copy, let me know, I'd be very interested in hooking that up too. Thanks~

Tim Reynolds Downloads

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  2:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If hacker man can get them, I'll definitely hook you up.
My cut is 20%...heehee j/k. But I never pass up music so.............................................
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  11:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How IRONIC!(lets not say synchronistic in this case)I have been having similar problems for weeks and it finally came to a head 3 days ago. I called my computer guru, Jon Soldo, and the first words out of his mouth when I explained my problem was "RU running WindowsME?". Of course, I was, and apparently it is a completely horrible operating system which is notorious for these exact problems. I could not even sign on with out getting a "Systems Resources DANGEROUSLY low" message. Apparently, WindowsME works great at first, but over TIMe, JAMS UP, to put it lightly, and there is no way to undo it without wiping the computer and starting from scratch, which is what I ended up having to do. I had to leave a day early for the TR dates and make a pitstop at Mr. Soldo's house and he wiped my harddrive and reformatted with WindowsXP. Luckily we were able to save alot of my files but the whole system was completely "up-fucked". Thanx much to Jon for saving my laptop and my sanity and today as of 7am this morning I am back up and running and am now typing to you waiting to go pick TR up at the airport here in Boston. His flight was delayed and Rew and I are quite excited to see him and do these shows. Anyway, I am getting a bit off subject, but seems the general opinion is WindowsME sux and the best advice is to get it off your computer as quickly as possible and get a better one. I suggest WindowsXP as it seems way more "USABLE" than my past operating system. Jon assures me it is the best and says his computer has been on for almost a year with no problems running that system. Hope this helps or at least confirms what alot of you have heard or suspect. I can't wait to get back to doing things on the internet unhindered by error messages and all the assorted catastrophes that were befalling me while I was running WindowsME!!!

PS: Computers will be the death of me, of this I am sure!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

skefdawg
Is Anybody Here?

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Send skefdawg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Right on with that, Fluffy. XP professional is the bomb diggity. To a punk ass IT bitch like myself, it's almost a dream come true since its the only operating system I've used that is F^&*#N' STABLE.

"Mr. Gates, when did you realize you were creating a monopoly?"

"Monopoly is just a game, Senator. I'm trying to take over the fucking world. "

Regards, all.
Steve.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000