New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  8:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been bored at my new job recently and have been on the internet all day long!! So I was over at nancies, and decided to mess with some of the people. First I posted a thread saying "What's dave matthews first name?" I wanted to see if someone would actually say "dave" or "david" if they would be just that ignorant enough to respond. Well that got locked and a few mintues later i posted a second thread "Well what's his last name then?" That got locked, and then I got my ability to create a thread locked in my name. Ah well it took up 15 minutes of time at work, so it was worth it!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  8:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hahahahahahaha! Classic!!!

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  8:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great! Keep up the good work.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  8:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Arthen, we posted at the exact same time, did you notice that?

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  8:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buying a DMB CD $14.00
Buying a DMB concet ticket $75
Locking a DMB thread, PRICELESS

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  8:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Buying a DMB CD $14.00
Buying a DMB concet ticket $75
Locking a DMB thread, PRICELESS

I've helped lock a few in my day. It's like the only excitement i get over there anymore... that the official phish thread, which is almost a forum to itself(266 pages now i think..)

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  12:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Arthen, we posted at the exact same time, did you notice that?

How romantic!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  01:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JINX!

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

JINX!

I remember that game! Me and my friends have brought back tag. Just walking downtown and suddenly "TAG, YOU'RE IT!!"

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  2:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went over to nancies, don't know why I do that to myself because I can never stand it for more than a minute or two. I laughed because there was one thread about an article in a Cleveland Newspaper about DMB and their fanbase and I read it and all I could think of was, my thoughts exactly! I listen (and love) DMB music and consider it "oldies but goodies". Nothing they have done in the last few years has done much for me.

Guess I am not a good DMB fan. Oh well.

On the upside I GOT TICKETS TO SEE RADIOHEAD!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  7:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked out that article at nancies. I read it, and basically i agreed with most of it. Dave hasn't totally sold out, he's still got some talent in him, but it's gone away ever since that dreaded everyday. To me that was his move to become more commerical and less creative...

I still will buy his new solo cd, and any other cds they release(not boyd's album tho), but it's just not the same.. A superband, but they could be doing much better

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  10:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so jealous that you have Radiohead tickets! I'm going to want to know how the concert was.

And Vicwootenfan I agree. I won't buy Boyd's album, but definitely get his new CD. Maybe his new solo CD will help take him back to what he was.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping with his new solo cd that he'll have some great guests, and that Dave might get a little more influenced by different genre music, like the great "before these crowded streets" album.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before These Crowded Streets is their best album in my opinion. And we at least know he's got Tim on the new album! That's a damn fine place to start the guest list.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  2:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen I love that album! As for TIM on the new album, damn straight thats a good place to start the guest list!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  3:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that DMB album, and lilywhite sessions(the bootleg), are the best IMO. Busted stuff wasn't as good, even tho it was produced more professionally.

Trey(phish) is guesting as well, who else is guesting on the new dave album? Bela fleck more than likely is as well.

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  10:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest mistake in the transition from Lilywhite Sessions to Busted Stuff, was how Dave rewrote "Captain". On Lilywhite, it was these crazy dark well written depressing song, but on BS it seemed like he took the easy way out and made it a cheesy love song. "Crazy" is still my favorite version though.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Poparad
Try A Little Harder

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  01:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Poparad an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least they correctly added all of Tim's songs to the setlists for the recent Tim and Dave tour. If they hadn't I'd be a little miffed since I'm sure a few of us here (including myself) submitted the list of Tim tunes that was posted on here sometime near the end of the tour. I'm suprised they even added footnotes for teases and partial covers Tim did.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  01:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen, you know what my favorite DMB song on These Crowded Steets is? Halloween! I love the sounds in that song! Second fav. The Stone!

I just think Dave got into a bit of mass production with Everyday. I don't think it is complete crap, but it isn't progressive. I think that is part of the problem with signing with record labels, they expect you to produce records in a timely fashion. For real artists it doesn't always work out that way. When you write songs because the inspiration is there its great, when you write because of pressure to produce and sell records, something definitely gets lost in the process.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  01:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They also want everything on the album to sound exactly like whatever songs made you big. That way they KNOW it will be a hit. Those guys totally stifle creativity.
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  01:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flaming Moe anyone ? ? ?

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  08:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Arthen, you know what my favorite DMB song on These Crowded Steets is? Halloween! I love the sounds in that song! Second fav. The Stone!

Halloween is one of my fav. dave matthews tunes, but my all time favorite version of the song is that live version on the "recently" disc. The drum solo at the end, the freaky sounding violin and sax solos, wow!!! But it's one of the songs that got my hooked on dmb, especially that drum solo.

Chack do Chack, tis tis ts tis chack, do chack do chack, tis ta tis tat, do chack do, dat dat dat da do chack.....

This has become the "Offical Dave Matthews Thread"

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  11:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I am going to check that one out right now!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  9:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That moment and the red rocks watchtower is what got me me started on DMB...

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  9:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Favorite song off of BTCS for me is a tie between Pig and The Dreaming Tree. But I like Spoon and Halloween a lot too...Ach, I really can't decide, I enjoy the entire album so much. So many well written beautiful songs.

And about the time issue for writing songs, I think someone put together all these pieces of information and figured out that Dave had been working on "Stay Or Leave" for 2-4 years.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2003 :  9:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthen, you know what was really weird? Right after you posted the other day about BTCS I had to go on an errand. I knew I had a DMB cd in my car player, the one that I had been playing over and over for a week or more, I popped it out to take a look at which one it was and sure enough it was BTCS! I have so many DMB cds and I usually don't think much about which one is which. I just thought it was funny you should mention about a cd I had been listening to a lot lately, especially since it's an older one.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  06:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own all the DMB cds....My fav. songs on that cd are spoon, dreaming tree and halloween. Great times for the band...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000