Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 D&T/Santana Love Of My Life...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  01:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since it appears that we will all have a video of this performance quite soon (god bless you sir who is sharing this with us all :) )... for the first time in a while, I just listened to this version of "Love of My Life" where Santana sits in with Dave and Tim. I couldn't help but wonder if in the video if it is possible to actually see Santana shit in his pants when Timmy comes flying out of his proverbial cannon like he always does, and plays about 3 full circles around good 'ol Carlos making him sound like he's playing "Kumbaya" in whole notes. It just sort of hit me that if Timmy did that to me... I believe I might want to leave the stage. I think I'd pack my shit up and be gone by the time the song was over. Yep, you'de see me just unhooking my shit and putting it in my case, mid-song, and walking away funny because I just got my 5 minute long, nylong slinging ass solo anally raped in 20 seconds of playing by the best damn musician on the planet. Don't get me wrong, I love Santana... but I for one am looking forward to seeing Timmy give CS the backhand-he-bitch-man-slap and saying, "Carlos... You're my bitch. My punk bitch."
-J

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  08:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering Santana is and has been a widely recognized "Guitar God" for like 30 years now, i really don't think he gives two shits about Timmy blasting him to the moon. He has way more recognition than Tim will ever have i'm affraid. I've never thought of Santana as a virtuoso like Tim, but ya gotta admit he's got his signature style and thats what he's famouse for (granted Tim can emulate it perfectly).

On second though that was the last concert of the 1999 D&T show and here we are 2 years later and Timmy wasn't invited to help out on Everyday (but Santana was... maybe to say "sorry about my friend smokin' your ass") and there hasn't even really been talk of another D&T tour since, maybe he stepped on some toes at that show hehe.

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
nah. Santana was on Everyday cause Dave was one Supernatural, it was just returning the favour :). and i know D+T will tour again, but not until at least next year.

As for carlos, I love his style of playing. Its simple yet powerful, and he plays with so much soul you can feel it pouring out of him. Santana has a deep diversity and a wider demographic than timmy does, too. Although i feel that the two of them are incomparible, santanas style can never be emulated. It can be mimiced to a degree, but he plays his shit with more feeling than 99% of other musicians. Timmy plays with that too, dont get me wrong, but tim can never play santanas shit with the same emotion as him. So i try not to compare the two.

Its like David Gilmour. Hes my favourite guitarist of all time. Not cause of speed, not cause of complexity, and not cause of the effects he uses, but because he can hit one note with so much power it floors me every time (Comfortably Numb, circa '94, or Pigs circa '78).

Pretty much my point is that i never compare artists such as Timmy to artists such as Santana, cause the two styles are so different that you cant really compare the two without bias. Santana fans would listen to that show and say "This timmy guy is good, but Santana runs cicles around him!" thats just the way it is

Erich w/ an h
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  12:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do think that the majority of guitar playing is expressing emotions and not technical facility, otherwise everyone would listen to Vai.

Still i'd imagine that the realm of "Guitar God" would be highly competitive. I imagine it'd take the gem out of my donut if i were famous and doing a cameo and after my solo this unknown punk starts showboating. I think the crowd reacted more to Tim's solo, I imagine "guitar gods" would be somewhat sensative about that sort of thing.

Actually i'm just playing devils advocate to keep the conversation rolling, I don't really think there were any underlying politics in that show.

Isaac

"Father up above, why in all this hatred do ya fill me up with Love, Love Love..."
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  12:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can hear on the CD Tim and Santana playing off each other. In the video when Tim busts out at the end Santana turns to him with a huge smile and looks surprised but in a happy way. Most musicians I've encountered that reach a certain skill level lose a lot of their ego with other musicians. I don't think Santana was insulted at all. I do think he was impressed though. In fact in the video you can see Tim hug Santana at the end.

What impresses me most is that Santana plays the same style the majority of the time and is very good at it. However, Tim plays a myriad of styles and can play flamenco-style riffs insanely like it is nothing. Tim's extreme level of skill in so many styles is unreal. Most people excel at a couple of aspects of guitar and are okay at other facets. Tim can rip like Vai on electric but chooses to play for the music and not flash. Then he picks up an acoustic and has his own unique sound. Most people who play electric play the same way on acoustic or just strum it. Tim has such a unique style on acoustic and he was an electric player for like 20 years prior to playing acoustic.

On Santana's popularity: Popularity does not make a good musician (i.e. Insync). I believe Tim could be just as famous if he chose. He could join DMB and become a total rock star if he wanted. He has said in interviews that he has turned down several record contracts to do solo electric projects for major labels. He chooses to play as an artist and not a corporate icon. Santana included multiple popular artists on his last album. Anyone would be big if they did that. I do like Santana, however; I feel that a lot of so-called guitar gods are only named so because most people are only exposed to popular artist's work. This is only my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone.

P.S. The video is nearly done.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  02:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree completly Xar, especialy with ones ego being completely lost once a certain point in your progress as a musician is achieved.

I do wish to point out though my opinion about Santanas last album. Yes, it was an album of him and a bunch of really popular artists colaborating, stretching across all aspects of the pop genre, from hip hop and R&B to latin pop and straight blues. The one thing though that seperates albums like this from other albums of the type is the fact that Santana actualy wanted this for himself, he felt it, and it showed. He shares with Tim one of the most important aspects of quality musicianship, and thats the absence of pretense. Santana did his thing with these artists and put the same thought and feeling into it as if he was doing this with his own band 25 years ago, and you can hear it in the quality of the music. That is to say it didnt stop people from screaming sell out or disliking the album, but thats another argument

So yeah, Tims skill level is completely different from Santanas, but the lack of pretense and the sheer soul put into the guitarwork shows that despite the obvious differences, neither one of them are better musicians than the other. (that wont stop people from liking timmy or carlos better thought )

PS - thanks for the video

Erich w/ an h
Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  3:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i don't give two shits what you all are saying about they are two different types of guitar players with completely different skills and shit. the simple fact is that at this show, durring the two songs , tim played circles around santana and completely blew him out of the water. that is what it all boils down to, regardless of where the two guitarists came from and their respective styles. it's obvious that tim is better in every aspect of guitar playing.

there, i've said it. i didn't think i could but there you have it.

later

Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  6:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brandishing your opinion as fact in the way that you did it makes me disregard everything that you say. Please, keep opinions as opinions, as "I dont give two shits" about what you think is "obvious". thank you

Erich w/ an h

Edited by - erich with an h on 08/30/2001 18:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  7:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
erich chill, i was just being that guy. the fact that you get you panties in such a wad over something so redicules as someone else's opinion makes me disregard everything that you say.

later

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  11:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reese said:

"the simple fact is that at this show, durring the two songs , tim played circles around santana and completely blew him out of the water."

I do agree with you Reese. Like I said above most of Santana's solos are very similar, and here Tim plays all kinds of styles and then rips out a better solo than Santana in the style Santana primarily uses like it was nothing. That is why I love this guy. I hear so much about how Santana is one of the top 5 guitarists ever in Magazines and other forums. Granted, his style was very original back in the day and he is a good player. However, as far as Spanish style playing is concerned he has nothing on Paco De Lucia or Al Di Meola, who also plays jazz and fusion. I think Santana is a very good popular guitarist. Tim can hang with the best of the best though.

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

jsoldo
Administrator

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  01:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsoldo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not that I condone this type of humor, but this picture seems to fit in this situation nicely:

peace
jon

Timmah!
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  01:20:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh,

I see this is a discussion board for Tim Reynolds where you are insulted by the moderator for discussing Tim Reynolds.

Nice.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  01:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think jons picture was aimed at me, though im not going to sit and speculate. Its nothing personal to you at least xar.

Erich w/ an h
Go to Top of Page

jsoldo
Administrator

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  01:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsoldo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it wasnt aimed at anyone, i think anyone that is on this board to begin with is cool as shit, sorry if i offened anyone... "it was just a goof" :-)

sorry again
peace
jon

Timmah!
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  01:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
its all good

Erich w/ an h
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  02:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will admit I did laugh, though. It's cool Jon.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page

Reese
Try A Little Harder

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  11:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Reese an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks jon. you have elightened all of us today.

later

Go to Top of Page

jid1019
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2001 :  2:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Send jid1019 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, getting back to the title, does anyone know where to find accurate tab of Love of my life? I think I've seen one guess at it (the tab that is), and it's total crap, so if you guys have a suggestion or link, that would rule. Thanks!
- The OTHER Isaac

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I just got here, so I missed this video of Tim running circles around Santana. Can someone give me the date or something? Maybe if it's a D&T show I already have it, just haven't heard that part. Cause I do have a bunch of D&T shows. Someone please give me a hand on this one.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
EnthuDMBsiast just IM me at Jiff1229 on AIM and I'll send it on over. I was joking with the original post above... I was just trying to start some shit to get the board going a little... but the song is awesome and Tim really does play a circle around CS. Just let me know if ya want it. Lata.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Silky, I don't have any IM. Just email and that's really all. So I can't get it that way. And I'm on dialup anyway, so I don't have the bandwidth, either. Thanks anyway. Let me know the date anyway, and maybe I already have the show. I have about 10 or 15 from the 99 tour.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's 3-14-99. It's a kickass show.
-J

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  12:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Right on, 3.14.99 is a show that I have. I'll just listen to it and see if I can find it. That's one of the last shows of the tour if I am right. Yeah, Carlos and Bob Weir guested. Cool, I'll check it out. And did you say that there's a video floating around out there somewhere?

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  01:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the most read message on the board.

-Xar666

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000