Un-Brand America
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  01:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is our pledge:

Because my country has sold its soul to corporate power,
Because consumerism has become our national religion,
Because we've forgotten the true meaning of freedom,
And because patriotism now means agreeing with the president,
I pledge to do my duty . . . and take my country back.

http://www.unbrandamerica.org/

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  08:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NIIIIIIIICE!!!

I really dig that!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  12:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can dig it, too, except there is no statement stating the importance on nonviolence. Any resistance to the Governemnt needs that...Why should resistors act in the same manner that the very government they oppose acts?

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  12:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
AMEN BROTHA JAY! (in Jesse Jackson-esque voice)
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  12:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oph Gorse! Glad to hear we share the same views! Now....Back to the coffee...Two and a half...I'm slowin down.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  6:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, you're the man!

gandhi-esque, that's my goal in life.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  8:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As much as non-violence is an issue to take up with the government, eliminating the government subsidized corporate control over our lives will lessen the pull companies have within the government to fight wars for oil or sweatshops. I think this movement also has something to do with the recent decision to let Clearchannel communications ruin the airwaves even more than it has been.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  9:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, I love the ideas they had for resistance and gettign the ideas out...But with any organized resistance or demonstration comes the possibility for a great deal of violence...I think that if "Unbrand America" is preaching about how horrible the government is, and how horrible the big corporations are and how they are ruining the world they should at the very least link to a few sites about nonviolence. Not passive resistance, they should preach very active resistance, but they need to strongly point out the virtues of nonviolence. I'm so friggin tired of seeing people that want to protest but think that the only way to do it is violently...All violence will lead to is more violence, which will lead to more violence, and on and on until too many people have to die. I'm tired of these idiot war protestors who protest by basically making more war and pain, which, is the basis on which they protested the war in the first place. Talk about hypocracy. It makes me sick. The easiest way out is to be violent...but it is definately NOT the right way to go. It may work for dictators trying to conquer new lands, or for the National Guard at Kent State to controll the crowd, but for humanity, it will never work. People turn to violence so easily today, it's horrible. I see fights over the tiniest things now. If a group wants to put up advertisments to protest the government, which is a good idea, why don't people take that idea and put up ads about nonviolence? The answer is basically that most people do not see violence as a problem. They see it as an answer to problems. It is a temporary cure, but with violence comes pain, and why, if someone causes you pain, would you just create more? And why would you want to contribute to the cancer that will ultimately kill the human race? So many people have lost all personal restraint. The only way they know how to act is to act violently. It has become ingrained in the human mind that the easiest way to solve the problem is the right way. We've basically evolved to kill each other. What do you hear when someone is pissed? "I'm gonna kill that fucker...I'm gonna kick his sorry ass...I'm gonna bang the shit out of him..." the list goes on and on. And this is because people are too afraid of taking a stand, and taking blows for their sake and for the sake of showing the violent they are wrong. I've had the crap beaten out of me before for saying that I didn't like the skate park in my town. I let them beat me up, I really didn't care. It took five seconds before the biggest guy said, "He won't fight, leave him alone." The rest did leave me alone. Needless to say I was hit with three rocks (one on the side of the head, that hurt like a bitch) and punched about 20 times (yes it only took five seconds) but after that, everyone that had had a go at me apologized for being so dumb. They all said goodbye to me, too. One of them is actually a pretty good friend of mine now...So really, this is for everyone, don't be afraid to take a few blows, don't be afraid to accept the pain that other's stupidity may inflict on you...Not only do you begin to see the world with a new light, other people begin to follow you. But remember not to be a leader, rather be a teacher. Tell and show, never be passive, but always active. If someone is in your face, talk to them as calmly and rationaly as you can. Don't just walk away from them. You will leave a much greater impression on them than if you let your temper go and hit them.

Anyway I'm done...Peace all.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  01:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I see your point and I agree. Hopefully nothing will come to violence, but things usually do.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  07:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure as many people have seen some of my previous signatures that you've seen this already but here it is... "An eye for an eye makes the world go blind" -gandhi(what a guy)

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  12:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gandhi was amazing. I simply can't beleive all the things he did in his lifetime...More than any normal human can achieve.

"Hi Mohandas...What did you do these past few years?"

"Well, I got rid of many unfair laws in South Africa, Freed India and inspired the world to be peaceful and not kill eachother."

"Damn."

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  1:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gandhi stopped the hindu/moslem conflict in india for a very very long time. unfortunately the pakistan/india conflict has come back with those border war/battles but still, he got them to stop fighting, which they had been doing for a while!

Go to Top of Page

LoveToday
Chatterbox

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the United States of China... brought to you by WalMart and the WTO. Hold on to your children... it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Peace

I childproof my home... and they still get in!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000