calling all guitarists...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  2:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm thinking about buying a new acoustic guitar that costs between 400-500 dollars. i've narrowed my choices down to two, the Ibanez AW500 and the Takamine EG523SC Acoustic Electric. right now, i'm leaning more towards the Ibanez because of its solid top and back, but am still deciding. also, it's predecessors have gotten really strong reviews. has anyone played either of these? the only way i could maybe play one of these would be to drive 600 miles to minneapolis in my car that can barely make it in town. so... thanks in advance for the input.
(by the way, whether it has electronics or not doesn't matter to me at all)

also, does anyone know how to look at what customers wrote for their product reviews at musiciansfriend.com? i've spent a long time trying to do this, but have only found the 'professional' reviews of the few select products. thanks.

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  9:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey bro...i not tryin to be "all knowing" in the guitar buying business, but i think u should wait a little longer and save for a Martin. For about 650, u can get a DCXE acoustic electric...it has the amazing martin tone for a cheap price (for a martin). It doesnt have a solid top...but i guarantee the tone is better than the other two you selected. There are cheaper Martin's yet, that also have a great tone in your range...DX1 Dreadnought (which has a solid spruce top.) It all depends what sound u wanna get...for a deep, basey tone, go with martin.

Zack
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  9:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your advice. i didn't say it before, but i was kinda of considering getting a martin. but, it's their lowest models and i haven't played them, i figured that i should go with one of say ibanez's better models because i've tried their electrics, and the one's i've played i must say i was truely impressed. also, i wanted to try to be a little different. however, since i really can't play it before i buy it (i could always return it, however) i wanted to get some favorable opinions before i commit.(it sure would help if i could view comments on musiciansfriend.com). on a side note, here is a list of guitars i could possibly afford from martin:

Martin DXM Acoustic Guitar
Martin Blem DXME Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Martin DX1 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
Martin 000X1 Acoustic Guitar
Martin DXME Acoustic-Electric Guitar

if anyone else has opinions of $400-$500 acoustics, please tell me.
oh, by the way, the reason why i don't care if it is electric is because i have a really good pickup. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

JoeGamo05
Chatterbox

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  9:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Send JoeGamo05 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i got a martin D-16GT to be specific palys like an electric to me i love it... but it was quite expensive anyway i think your best bet is to save for a martin.. invest ur money into something that sounds beautiful

When the trees start walking, the ground starts moving, your insane, your insane
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  01:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a pretty good Epiphone model, PR-5, for about $450. I've had it for 18 months, no problems or complaints. Great tone and sound.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Ibanez Guitars. Every one I've played is beautiful sounding. So I'd go with that. They are also very solidly built, Cause I've dropped mine (It cost $289) from a hight of five feet and the only thing that happened was a little detuning. But, along with that, I DID have to get a high fret fixed. But that was free (it would only have costed about $50 if i hadn't brought the guitar in the second day I had it). As much as I ahte to say it, though, I'm not pleased with the Martin DX models. I think they sound kinda muddy. For $189 more, go with a DM.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  3:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Have you thought about a Seagull S6? those are great guitars for the money you spend on them (400-500)

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all very much for your replies. i have just learned that the D-1R acoustic guitar is 600 dollars. even i know that's an unbelieveable price. can anyone tell me anything about it if you have played it? (and i'll also check out that segull) this martin seems like a great value. thank you.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all for your time and effort. after much consideration and reading lots and lots of reviews, i decided to go with the martin D-1R acoustic. besides people raving about the sound, one of the main factors i considered was the price, which was $600 at musiciansfriend.com, because nowhere i looked was any price for a new D-1R guitar anywhere near $600. i think (and hope) i made the right choice. so, thanks again for your time.
one interesting bit of info is that a HD-28 and a D-35 are both $1700 at musiciansfriend. pretty cheap compared to other places. but, i think it will be many years down the road before i can buy either of those.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  02:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how it works out for you.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  11:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will do!
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  11:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't already made the purchase, you might want to shop around for some used guitars... there are some great deals out there
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought about that, but when i looked around, the used D-1R's were more expensive than the new one that i bought. so, i went with that. besides, there are no deals in the town i live in. even fargo, the largest city in ND, likes to thumb you in the buttox with the prices at the "music" stores. if you meant ebay, that still excludes me, i ain't got no credit card. but, you're right. next time i should make more of an effort to look around for deals. but i think i got a pretty good deal, so it all evens out. even steven. so, i'll just quit my jabbering. what's the best deal you've seen for a used acoustic? and any particular place you were talking about finding these deals at? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jmg0531
Is Anybody Here?

2 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  11:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, you really have to just go out and PLAY different guitars. No one can really tell you whats best. I've owned many guitars, from vintage and new Gibsons to Martins, to an old Alvarez Yairi, which believe it or not I found to be the best and brightest. It's all a matter of personal taste. Good Luck! By the way, price isn't everything.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  4:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree. that would be the best way to do so. but, in my lovely small town, all of the guitars are cheap pieces of crap and most of them suck. i would rather play my jasmine s-35 ($99) any time over many of their way overpriced $400 guitars that don't cost them a fraction of that (which is probably what you meant when you said that price isn't everything. which, in this case, i would have to agree).
the only way for me to play a real guitar would be to go to a city that has them, which, do to current (and ongoing) car problems, won't happen any time in the foreseeable future. so, with that out of the picture, i have to rely on reviews. i read lots of them, just about memorized the martin website, and checked out how different woods are supposed to sound. all in all, i think that i did get the best deal for the price, and even if i didn't, i can always send it back (i haven't hesitated to do that before). thank God for guarantees. anyway, those are my reasons. you're completely right about guitars and personal taste, but i have to take that chance, and am glad i did, because now they're all out and mine's on the way. man, i write too much. yep.
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  5:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I highly, highly recommend larrivee guitars.

www.larrivee.com

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  11:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man, those look like some nice guitars. i really like the solid wood construction. but, i couldn't afford even their cheapest guitar, that would have to wait until i can land a job. but thanks, i will definately keep them in mind.
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  12:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to mention, as you are probably already aware, that the prices on their site are retail prices. The prices at a store would be much, much less. I got the D-03 12-string model for 800 when it lists for 1100.

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  12:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, but dealers around here love to charge the retail price. besides, the only one in North Dakota is in Grand Forks. i checked out their website, and i must say i'm not too impressed. maybe sometime when i'm feeling adventerous, and i have a lot of money, i'll head over to minnesota and do some real shopping. anyway, thanks for the info. i will definately keep larrivee guitars on my 'things to buy if i get a job someday' list.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  9:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just to update in case anyone cares:
i got it and it plays nicely. it has a smooth, balanced tone and sounds beautiful. it also smells wonderful. yep. my only complaint is that it isn't as loud as i thought it was going to be (probably because it's laminated on the back and sides and not solid). everyone in their reviews said it was loud, but i suppose that is subjective. 600 is about the right price for it. so, all in all, a pretty good deal, so i'm keeping it.
but i'm looking forward to the day when i own a larrivee. it might be a long time from now, but thanks to j i'm on a mission. yeah.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  9:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Breedloves are incredible too, although a little brighter of a sound than what I usually like, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They sustain for just about an eternity or so and have the fastest necks of any acoustics I've ever played, for me anyway. I'm not a big fan of the designs as far as how they're shaped, but as for the inlays and woods, they're really beautiful too. www.breedloveguitars.com
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  10:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, sounds cool. but, i wouldn't be able to afford one of those for years. so, now off to vacation at my bros for a while. now i can lounge around in his living room instead of mine.
Go to Top of Page

Zack
Try A Little Harder

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol...dude..once you smell the inside of a martin, you'll never want to smell anything again.

Zack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000