Live in Chicago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  8:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Goddamn Tim makes DMB sound so good. I think this might be the best live release they've done. Not quite the energy of Red Rocks.. but Tim and especially Carter sound f'ing killer

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon

David Kludt
Is Anybody Here?

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  8:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  9:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you both. But I think the energy that seems to be lacking in LIC is just a factor of the recording method/venue nuances, and not really because of any difference in actual energy. Every DMB show is brooding with energy.

Man, Timmy just wipes his ass with his guitar on Lie In Our Graves. Best solo on that one that I've heard. And Tim with Carter and Stefan in the Heartbeat Jam, woohoo!

I think Butch does add a new dimension to the band. His solos are just more subtle. But Tim and Carter do sound f'ing killer, which is why the band is so great (even if "the band" doesn't include Tim and Butch). Every one of the guys on that stage at any given time, member or not, is f'ing killer on their instrument of choice. (And even if Dave's instrument is his voice.) Even when they have guests on the stage with them, those guys are killer too. Bela, Vic, FutureMan, Santana, Greg Howard, take your pick. They can ALL play.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I like LIC. I love Tim on it. The show is great.

-Jason-

Philosophy is a study that lets up be unhappy more intelligently.
Go to Top of Page

XScreamTi
Is Anybody Here?

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  11:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send XScreamTi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Tim kicks ass on this cd, but I was a little bit disappointed with the set list. CD 2 is great, but CD 1 is a little too much like LS, although I love Lie and What on here.

"Fear should be treated like fire. Its a good thing. It keeps you warm. It can also burn the house down."
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  10:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the '98 shows had a certain edge to them. When I saw DMB with Tim in Atlanta in '98, it was hands down the best concert I have ever been to... unbelievable energy. I'd still give the edge to that concert but LIC definitely maintains that same vibe that was around the rest of the tour. I am convinced that Tim lays down THE perfect guitar solo on Lie In Our Graves. What I would love to see is a concert with Tim, Butch, and the lovely ladies all guesting.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2001 :  11:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have now listened to his Lie in our graves solo about 20 times.. Goddamn! I wish I could make my les paul sound like that...

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

MC
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  03:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this album will (should) save DMB. This is by far and away DMB's best release, amazing. I dont think this show lacks energy at all, it just might have a different type of energy. The jamming is unbelieveable, it leaves me with my mouth open. I hope this is a sign of things to come from the DMB boys - please keep up the energy and style. I was talking with my friends and I wouldnt be surprised if DMB released this recording, from 3 years ago, to answer the trashing of "Everyday". I can see the guys saying, well you want kick ass DMB - then here you go.

Tim is AMAZING on this show, not only the jaw-dropping solos but the subtle parts I pick up on during the verse and leading up to the chorus.

Wooten is sickening, he is awesome and Maceo Parker has a great little solo. just an all around great coloboration.

Thank you DMB and THANK YOU TIM - I was very very very pleasantly surprised with this release and hope it shows that the good old DMB is back.

MC

Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  10:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think DMB should release another show from the winter '98 tour. Like 12/7 with Tim and BELA! :)

There has to be a reason that Tim has been on every live release they have done. I know he wasn't on listener supported, but I think that was just sort of a fluke since they were releasing it as a DVD/VHS... Someone at RCA was like "Hey...we could make more money if we make it a CD too..." Notice LS doesn't say "This is one in a series of live releases from the Dave Matthews Band" anywhere... where LiC and L@RR do.

DMB is a great band. DMB with TR sitting in is un-fucking-believable :) And they know this..

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  9:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely prefer Chicago to Listener Supported. LS really lacks the Tim sound, plus no lovely ladies at Chicago which makes me actually like Stay. I think the preformance makes up for the setlist.
Has anyone seen the video of this show? They couldn't possibly have shown Tim any less. If you didn't know he was playing, you wouldn't have seen him until his solo in Lie In Our Graves. It's really disappointing, though seeing Vic Wooten's solos is a feature.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  10:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know, I haven't seen the video, but I heard that at one point during Jimi Thing, where Tims doing that slapping shit he does so well, hes on his knees playing, he actually dropped to his knees!! Did anyone see this? Can you confirm it? If so, I think thats fuckin killer!

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2001 :  10:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Silky, was that show like 8-20-98 or somethign? I think I heard a tape of it. Crush and Jimi thing on that show were awesome w/timmy.

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2001 :  12:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep that was it... it was absolutely unreal. That was when I REALLY discovered Tim. He was the first person to ever leave me with my jaw open. I had never honestly experienced awe until that concert. When he had his first solo on Jimi Thing, it honestly left me thinking, "Wow, someone can do that with a gutiar?" I've seen DMB 4 times now and that was hands down the best performance... I even hold it a small bit above Eric Clapton, who I saw this summer. Tim just adds such a dimention to that band that can't be reproduced by anyone else. He truly is the man.
-Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2001 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know, I haven't seen the video, but I heard that at one point during Jimi Thing, where Tims doing that slapping shit he does so well, hes on his knees playing, he actually dropped to his knees!! Did anyone see this? Can you confirm it? If so, I think thats fuckin killer!

There is an mpeg clip of this on the FTP site.

Check it:

http://www.geocities.com/jsmcfaddin/tim_12_19_98.html?1004105101795

Peace,

-Xar666

We're going to Vegas to croak a scag baron named Savage Henry. I've known him for years but he ripped us off. And you know what that means...
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2001 :  4:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I finally got to listen to CL. It really is one of DMB's best CD's. Lie in and Jimi Thing are awesome. Tim makes the band! Adam, I saw Tim play with DMB in Philadelphia at the First Union Center on 11/30 and 12/1/98 and he really did go to his knees! It was incredible, I just about went to my knees myself! That's when I really got turned on to Tim's music! And what planet is Victor Wooten from, he is one bad ass bass player! Liz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000