Drinking Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  2:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kind of a random, bizarre question...but I'm bored, so what the hell?

Four friends go out for a night on the town.  Three are 21+, one is under 21.  The three 21+ have several drinks and food, etc. and the underage person just eats.  Is it technically illegal for the underage person to pick up the tab because, in effect, that person would be purchasing alcohol under age?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummmm? Never thought of that. Technically you are probably right, but I am not sure. The under 21 person should say that he/she can't pick up the tab because of that!hehehehe

Since no alcohol was consumed by the under 21 person I would think it would be ok for that person to pick up the tab.

Out of curiosity, why did you ask? Was it completely hypothetical or a situation you were in?

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was at a bar last night and that situation occurred...a guy tried to get out of paying the bill. It was all in good fun, but I found it somewhat intriguing. Had never thought of it previously.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

monkeyman41
Try A Little Harder

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  4:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Send monkeyman41 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im pretty sure that if you are at a place that serves the alcohol to the legal people the underage can pick up the tab because he just paying for drinks already consumed by the legal drinkers
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I see that point of view, but it's my understanding that the purchase and/or consumption of alcohol is illegal. It's a technicality, I'm just curious.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had this happen a few TIMes as a bartended/server....

Say you are at the bar, and you are buying a drink for your 89 year old grandmother, with her money and everything, and the bartender can see that she simply can't make it to the bar, and you as her underage grandchild are just trying to help her out... then no.. you can't.

During a meal, you aren't drinking, and you didn't drink at all, and the TABLE IS CLEAR of drinks, and the bill comes out, yes, under 21 can pay... but not if drinks are still there.

single bills, no, underager can't pay... as for the end of the night tabs... well, I didn't really care, just give me the money and get out of the bar. I think in most cases people just want to get paid.
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  8:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, but say that under-21 friend is a Canadian midget with a prosthetic arm...does that make it legal or just plain silly?

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A little from column A.....a little from column B.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
probably both
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000