Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Recording/Critiquing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

centurybrother
Try A Little Harder

54 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  11:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit centurybrother's Homepage  Send centurybrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I know I am relatively new here, but have the mods ever thought about adding a recording/critiquing forum to the boards? Over at www.dmbtabs.com they have a good deal going there, and it would help me out alot to get some constructive critisism on some Tim stuff (or original Tim-like originals, etc.)...just a thought...in the mean time, here is a spacey improv that I made the night I got my DL-4...

www.cadenzaspell.com/downandout.mp3

tell me what you think

centurybrother
Try A Little Harder

54 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit centurybrother's Homepage  Send centurybrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for the warm welcome guys...it seems "clicks" have already formed here...have fun
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  6:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, no problem. In all fairness, I don't believe I even ever saw your post. So get mad if you'd like, or just realize that the board isn't really all that active at present, so just take it in stride.

It could be and likely is that no one really understood what you were talking about.

Anyway. I don't think it's necessarily fair to assume that we're a "click".

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

centurybrother
Try A Little Harder

54 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  6:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit centurybrother's Homepage  Send centurybrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well forgive me if that sounded sour, but I just assumed after 20 some reviews that someone would understand/reply/welcome a newcomer...no offense meant there, I have just seen it too much on other boards...

Is there something I left out about adding a new forum for people's recordings to be critiqued?

In any case, I appoligise if what I said came across as rude...
Go to Top of Page

captain_napkins
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  10:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the song. I have some stuff of my own I might link to but I have pretty bad recording equipment. I use Cooledit Pro and a $3 headset microphone. Any idea if there's anything I should do to help out with the quality?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  11:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Clique

And welcome centurybrother.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  11:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That song works very well for me. I don't know what exactly you wanted help with, but I really have no criticisms for it. The beginning might be a little long to be so repetitive (not saying that's bad, just suggesting...) You could at least vary that some more. My feeling is that it takes a little too long to develop.

Maybe it's just my mood right now... and the weather. There are tornados all around me, and this song just fits my mood. I'm hearing sirens right now, and I could probably be sucked out of my room at any moment...

In fact, I think this song reminds me of a song my the guy that made an album out of War of the Worlds... I can't think of his name right now... Ah, Jeff Wayne. Sounds like something he'd be reading War of the Worlds over.

Man this is freaky (not your song, just your song combined with the sirens and thinking about War of the World...)

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

centurybrother
Try A Little Harder

54 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  7:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit centurybrother's Homepage  Send centurybrother an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cool stuff guys...thanks fo rthe input...and you are right in saying it takes too long to develope...I did it the night I got my DL-4...I'm still working on using that thing faster...most people don't/won't want to wait something out until you loop it the way you want...but I love it...thanks again
Go to Top of Page

geekmug
Is Anybody Here?

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  05:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekmug's Homepage  Send geekmug an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain_napkins

I like the song. I have some stuff of my own I might link to but I have pretty bad recording equipment. I use Cooledit Pro and a $3 headset microphone. Any idea if there's anything I should do to help out with the quality?

I use CEP v2.. I have access to nice recording mics, but they are not mine and so when I spontaneously want to record something, more often than not I use the PC mic that I got for *free*.

There are a lot of factors that can make for bad recordings.. first of the amount of noise your sound card introduces will be a crutch that you will have constantly, so a good one will do you wonders on signal-to-noise. But, even at that, a good start is to make silence silent (manually or by a gate). CEP has something a "Hiss Reduction" that will remove such noise nicely, but it may adversly affect your sound, but do what sounds good.

Of course there's lots more you can do but your familiarity with CEP and sound engineering will determine your sucess.. Regardless, in CEP I usually feed everything through something like this, with varying configurations:

IN->Compressor->Hard Limiter->Reverb->Delay->Graphic EQ->OUT

My boredom today was enough that I recorded a "before/after" for you to get an idea of the increase is "quality" you can get just by sound engineering. The "Flat" version is minus the efx chain.. but I don't have the vocal track before I killed all the anti-silence.

http://scottdial.com/files/Move%20Along%20Flat.mp3
http://scottdial.com/files/Move%20Along.mp3

Alright, I am done ranting now..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000