Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Has anyone picked up the new BMG cd yet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  6:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How is it? I haven't had a chance to get it yet but I can't wait.

tim~and~dave
Chatterbox

112 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is a stupid question, but whats BMG?

I'm going to give this "punctuation" thing a chance. How am I doing?
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  7:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Blue Man Group? If that is the case, no I have not, but I did catch their performance on Jay Leno the other night, and I was impressed with the specticle but not so much the music.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  7:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following the Assumption that this is the Blue Man Group, are they any good. I know of them, and have a vague idea of what they do, but I always thought it was more of a gimmick than anything else.
Song suggestions?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  7:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As for song suggestions, I would suggest one called mendelgroove from their first cd. Listen to it with headphones if you can.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  7:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well......I'm not exactly sure what it's called because people on Kazaa change the names of the songs, but I really like this one called Boston (but I think it's actually called Rods and Cones).....Drumbone is also good (I think that's the one that was on those Pentium commercials), Endless Column, Club Nowhere, Mandelgroove, and Shadows are the ones that I've downloaded from Kazaa.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  9:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw their show "Tubes" (I think it was called that) when I was on a vacation in New York. It was absolutely awesome. If you've ever seen it, then you know how hard it is to accurately convey to someone else what one of their shows is like. All will say is this: marshmellow, captian crunch, paint, and an entire venue filled with streamer paper.

They have one album out called Audio and a new one just came out. Audio is ok, it got old and the songs kinda sound the same; but that's just me. The new album sounds pretty cool, Dave Matthews sings on a song called "Sing Along." I really like it. Here's a link to the video:

http://www.livedmb.com/SingAlong/

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  9:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I was referring to the Blue Man Group. I originally got into their music from seeing the live show out in Vegas... bought the CD "Audio" later and love it. All of the above songs are great, but I find that you have to listen to that CD on a large stereo pretty much at concert volume for it to have any impact because it relies so much on their rhythm section (which is something insane like 7 people at once on some songs)... subwoofer is a definite plus. :) I would probably say that Klein Mandelbrot is my favorite song from that album.

If you haven't seen their show yet, definitely go. It's got amazing music, lots of comedy, and it's just an overall visceral and fun experience. I am planning to go again when I hit Vegas in August.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  12:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Silky, how much did it cost? I remember wanting to go see them when I was in Vegas back in March, but being the poor college student that I am.....I barely had enough funds to eat. I would love to go back to Vegas and see the shows......maybe when I actually have money. Damn.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  01:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I paid $80 or so last year.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  01:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Same... it was about an $80 ticket, which is about middle of the way as far as Vegas tickets go. Cirque De Soleil was amazing as well, I think I saw Mystere. It's all well worth the money... it's much more of a spectacle than you see when acts come on tour, because they don't have their multi-million dollar, specially designed theaters with them like they do in Vegas.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  06:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
$80???? Holy crap. The only way I'd be able to afford that is if I threw a chip on the roulette table as I was walking by and won.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  6:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw BMG at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater here in Virginia Beach about a week ago. It was much cheaper than their Vegas show. I paid $80 for that one, but only $40 for the most expensive tickets available to this show.

The show was different since it was totally focused on the CD (i.e., they didn't play with their food) but they were still great! Tracy Bonham and VenusHum (never heard of them until that day) opened, and then both were brought on stage during the BMG part of the show as well.

The "theme" of the show was that the Blue Men had bought a "How to put on a Rock Show" kit. It came with audio instructions which would play over the speakers; the Blue Men would then attempt to follow the instructions in their typically bewildered-looking and humorous way.

I liked VenusHum, who reminded me of both Bjork and the Cocteau Twins if that makes any sense. Their main instruments were synthesizers -- very 80's!

I was going to buy both the BMG and the VH CDs after the show but the line was way too long. I should have waited in it since I would have paid only $25 total. The CDs are both more expensive in stores. :-(
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  6:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BTW, they did play "Sing Along" but obviously without Dave Matthews. The Blue Men had a band of about five or six guys (playing keyboards, guitars, drums) accompanying their percussion efforts. One of those guys did the singing.

One of the instructions in the rock concert kit (Rock Concert Move #63) was to have the audience sing along. This was the obvious choice for that one!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000