Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Octaves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  12:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here use octave effects?
I'm kinda confused about them. Most of the octave effects i see are just for octave-down. I'm pretty sure the famous "octavia" is an octave-up effect only. Do they make pedals that do both?
Also, i was wondering if you knew what octave effect TIM used to use, as on the live 88' TR3 show. I have a feeling it's an "octavia" because of the group's Hendrix influences - especially on that show, since they play "Are You Experienced" and "Manic Depression" and I hear TIM using a uni-vibe.

Thanks

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  2:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a pedal (boss i believe) called a "Pitch Shifter" it has a spring so you can do increases in the pitch smoothly, not just like an on/off switch. But there is also a low octave mode, but I don't think it is as good as the brown boss Octave pedal. There is also an 0ld red pedal that is like a wammy pedal or something. I think the guy from rage uses it in the "like a stone" song, but to me it sounds exactly the same as the pitch shifter. Hope that helps.
www.DaveCahill.com
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DigiTech Whammy (the old red one)
does alot of other stuff to, can shirt 2 oct's up 3 oct's below, detune (which slightly detunes the note u are playing along w/ the original as to sound like two guitars) u can also get harmonies from 2nd to octave above and below.

and 'like a stone' is an audioslave song, but it is the 'guy from rage'. he uses the digitech alot for weird noises and such. i like it alot.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  02:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tom Morello. One of the most innovative guitarists on this planet, BTW. I mean, a POWER DRILL, come on people.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  9:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info guys.
You cleared some stuff up for me.

Do any of you guys own an octavia pedal by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  9:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes i have the digitech whammy, and a boss octave (oc-2) pedal. i dont use the boss cuz the digitech is more versitile. but both are good pedals.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  11:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jude I'll buy that Boss Octave from you if you don't use it

"Go Banana!" - Ralph Wiggum
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  1:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's cool, guys - I might invest in a digitech whammy.

But what i was really asking about in my last post was the Octavia pedal designed by Roger Mayer, made famous by Jimi Hendrix in "Purple Haze" and "Fire" and various others. I shoulda specified when i was asking. Does anyone have this? Cause it's been pretty popular over the years with different players but i haven't heard of anyone having one lately, like it went out of production or something.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000