Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 My exciting trip to Hollywood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  02:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been meaning to post about this for the past week or so but just haven't had the time. Last friday night my girlfriend and I decided to take a trip up to hollywood for the night. Both of us had been there a handful of times for concerts but never just to walk around or hang out. On the way up we were both hungry and Nicole knew of a place in downtown LA called "Philippe" that is known for having the best French dipped sandwiches.. and sure enough, they were AWESOME... so good that we both ordered one and then split a 3rd one. When I was ordering the 3rd sandwich I noted that their coffee was only 9 FRIGGIN CENTS!!! I was so amazed that I ordered a coffee too and I took a picture of the receipt because I've never seen coffee so cheap.
<new paragraph>
After dinner we headed up to sunset blvd. One of the main things I wanted to do was go to Ameoba Records... a huge record shop that I've been hearing about for a while and have always wanted to check out. Sure enough, this place is awesome... its is huge, two stories and they have like every cd imaginable both new and used. Nicole even checked to see if they had any cds of her grandpa who was a semi famous hawaiin folk singer and sure enough they did! Nicole told me that I looked like a kid in a candy store in there, and that was how I felt. I could have easily spent a whole day browsing through everything they had. Here is what I ended up getting.

Portishead- Live: I had been borrowing this cd from Nicole ever since I bought "Dummy" and fell in love with Portishead. They are trip-hop... beautiful female vocals over hiphop/electronica type beats, and all performed LIVE.

Billy Bragg & Wilco- Mermaid Sessions 2: I've been a huge fan of Wilco ever since hearing "yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (which is widely called the album of 2002) and I really dug that Billy Bragg song Price of Oil that Fluffy posted so I wanted to hear them together.

FUGAZI- "Argument": The originators of Hardcore... except stripped down and very political... I heard this cd once at work by one of my co-workers and immediatly fell in love with it... I'm listening to it right now.

Massive Attack: More trip hop.. this is their new cd, maybe not as good as Mezzinene, but still awesome drum machine beats. Very soothing chill music.

Wild Thornberry's soundtrack- HEY, no grief please, it was only 4 bucks and it has awesome new songs from Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, and even Dave Matthews.

Olive- This was a reccomendation from Fluffy, he told me that if I liked Portishead that I would dig Olive, and I saw a used copy for 4 bucks so I picked it up, but havent ha time to check it out yet.

Flaming Lips- Yoshimi: I know we've talked about this cd on the board before... it is waay out there, but very cool. Peter Greisar named it as his curent favorite cd.

After that we decided to head over to Westwwod and walk arounf there for a bit (westwood at down at the end of Sunset BLVD and is the college town where UCLA is located. Nicole knew about a famous desert place there. It took forever to find a place to park, but finally we did, and it worked out great that it was far away, because along the way we found an awesom joke/gag/gift shop where we picked up some fun stuff and I bought a cool PEACE shirt. We then headed to the desert store where there was aline out the door, but it was worth it, for 2 bucks you get to pick any two cookies and any type of ice cream and them make you a HUGE ice cream sandwich. I got chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter ice cream, it was delicious!!! After that we decided to walk around a bit more then head home. All in all it was an awesome night.. very fun... just wanted to share with everyone.

god
Kevin

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  05:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the magical world of Amoeba Music!!! I used to love the one in Berkeley, but I didn't get there often since I lived a couple of hours away in Sacramento. It was there that I found two CDs in the >$5 bin by a band called the Pooh Sticks. I am an avid Pooh collector so I bought them just because. I've never seen that band mentioned anywhere since.

When I found out we were getting an Amoeba here in LA I freaked out. My roommate had no idea why I was so excited since she had never been to the NoCal store.

That is definitely one place I will miss when I move away from this town.

BTW, did you make it upstairs to survey their AMAZING video section? I love that place!
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  06:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teri! You used to live in Sacto!? I'm from Roseville!

Did you ever go to Captiol Garage?

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like we need an Ameoba Records in the east, preferably in the Philly area, hehehe

Thanks Kevin for the story and reviews! I think, now I am going out to buy at least two of the CD's you mentione! We don't have Ameoba here, so I will share the cost I will have to pay for them with you on line someTIMe!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  3:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think, now I am going out to buy at least two of the CD's you mentione

which 2?

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  5:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's a French dipped sandwich?
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesse, you never ate at the Rusty Scupper? French dip is roast beef thin sliced and on a roll with a small cup of juices, broth to dip it in. At least that is what it is on the east coast.
Pam

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  6:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where's the Rusty Scupper?
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  7:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on Alexander Road in Princeton

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  8:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Teri! You used to live in Sacto!? I'm from Roseville!

Did you ever go to Captiol Garage?

No. I didn't go to many shows when I lived there. I hung with the theater crowd (my roommate there was into acting) so I saw a lot of local one-acts and stuff.

I had another roommate who liked country music (ick), so she used to drag me to In Cahoots, but I tried to go as seldom as possible...
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  9:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

on Alexander Road in Priceton

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  11:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sunset Blvd, eh Kev? I hope you got home before midnight. You know what happens to that place late at night.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, Just had to tell you I bought Portishead Live (Love it!) and Flamming Lips-Yoshimi(Funny because I didn't think it was waaaay out there, actually thought it was one of the most beautiful works of music I have heard! It is quickly becomming a favorite of mine! I guess that might mean I am waaaay out there? maybe)

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  5:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ameoba records does kick ass. They've got stuff so obscure you can't even find it on ebay. Prices rock to. I always try to buy my CD's from there instead of a corporate whore like Best Buy.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  9:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are so lucky! I unfortuately have to buy from the coporate whore, Best Buy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000