New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  4:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the last few months i've noticed my guitar getting harder to play, and i'm not the only one that thinks so ( my friend commented earler last week that my guitar was 'hard as hell to play' ) He told me it might have to do with the bridge, because the strings are high off of the frets. High enough to give me a hard time when playing songs around the 7th, 9th frets. My friend says to just take a few bucks and replace the bridge, a smaller one, and lower the strings down. I'm going to take my guitar downtown to a music shop and ask for there advice. If anyone can give me a pointer, that'd be great, thanks.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it needs a Setup II done on it. That would be where the tech would adjust your truss rod back to specs and sand the saddle down a bit to lower the strings back to factory specs. This should cost about 50 bucks or so to get done. Most times they'll get your hopes up telling you that they may just be able to adjust the truss rod, but 9 times out of 10 they do the saddle too.

If you lived closer I'd do this for you, but youre better off taking it to a pro than buying a new saddle or trying to do it yourself.

That is most likely what it is, but there could be somethign else.

What kind of a guitar is it? Is it solid wood, and if so are you using a humidifier? If it sat at your house all winter without being humidified it could be drying or dried out, which would make the wood on the guitar begin to warp and possibly crack. I can't stress enough the use of a guitar humidifier for a quality acoustic guitar, protect your investment.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  4:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, thats some shitty news. Damnit. And I play a Yamaha, F-335. This sucks. But I guess I should drive downtown and ask around, but thanks for the help, I hope I got fuck over that badly.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If its a Yamaha, I'd lean towards the Setup II more than the humidity. But you may ask when you bring it in if it needs to be humidified.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  6:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I didnt expect anything fancy really. All my friend said to do was take it in and get a new bridge, then re-string it for better sound.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  6:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Much like Adam said... just look down the neck to make sure it's straight where the neck meets the body. If it's bowed up then you may just need to adjust the truss.

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  7:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a Yamaha and when I purchased it, the action as incredibly high. I sanded down the saddle a bit and did a very slight truss rod adjustment and the action is quite low without fret buzz. It's very easy to play.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  04:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yamaha's I think are pretty high off the frets as it is. At least the one's I've played with.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yamaha's I think are pretty high off the frets as it is. At least the one's I've played with.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000