Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 War Eminent?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know good ole Dubya said "48 hours". What do ya'll think of this move?

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  11:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah probably is...any time now. i'm just praying every second on the day that saddam does go into exile and give up. it seems in the bush outlook of things it is the only way to stop the war as of now..

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

thewayfarer
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  12:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'd be nice, but it doesn't seem very likely Saddam will leave Iraq. Hasn't he said in the past that he would rather be killed in a military invasion than go into exile? I just hope that all the Iraqi citizens that are able to get safely out of the country before this gets going do so. That is one place I would not want to be right now.

"Underneath you know well you have nothing to fear, for the dreams that came to you when so young, told of a life where spring is sprung."
-Nick Drake
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  2:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would say that war is far from eminent. Imminent on the other hand, I'd say is a pretty safe bet. The rules were outlined, we'll see what happens. No use trying to predict it.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  2:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm a horrible speller.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  3:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just givin' ya a hard time =).

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, you may spell like crap - but I'll bet that you can pronounce the word "nuclear" better than the leader of our country.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Intelligence doesn't make a good leader. Not saying that he is, or he isn't. I can name some people with IQs well over 180 that would be terrible leaders of this country. And per my tendency to go against the crowd, I'd file Clinton up there with bad leaders.

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree, presidents are mainly figureheads - but dubya takes the cake as one of the stupidest leaders this country has seen.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  12:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kennedy wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. Yet everyone loved him because he was charismatic.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  02:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Clinton was charismatic. Bush is fake-charismatic. He's a horrible actor, he definitely doesn't feel my pain. hehe.

Bush's speaches teach me how to stop worrying and love the bomb.

Bush said after 48 hours we would take action at a time of our choosing, I'm guessing he's going to let them sweat a little bit, it's the cowboy way. Midnight(Iraq time) Thursday, that's my prediction.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  09:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. I think that a lot of people immediately equate bombing with massive amounts of casualties. I don't necessarily think this will be the case. If we take out what amounts to their entire infrastructure, and all of the strategic targets...sure, there will be loss of life. I just don't think it's going to be nearly as high as people think.

Charisma doesn't get my vote...whether it's fake or real. I'd rather a 4 legged freak with half a mind for politics actually ran one of these days.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  11:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard(don't know if it's true or not) that some units of the iraqi military have surrendered so far. any truth to that, any news stories?

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ya know, I miss the days when our leaders were busy getting blowjobs instead of invading other countries. They say that 2/3 of the country supports this war, but you have to remember that 2/3 of this country still drink Bud Lite and beat their wives.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As much as there are extremists who would rather die, knowing that there death really doesn't change anything...I don't think that they're the majority. Haven't heard this is the case, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

I've been torn on the entire war issue. Some days I wake up and think that the war is completely about oil (which it very well may be) and other days I wake up and realize...yeah, this guy isn't a threat now, but he very well could be. I think there are *some* valid reasons for a war, but I don't think they're necessarily enough to justify it at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  2:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
its actually 49% of americans suport the war. last i heard.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  3:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Really? I had a figure much closer to the 2/3. That's a whole dumpload of people that changed their minds really recently.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  3:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The numbers depend on what network you're watching. Fox News' are always biased since they have call-in polls, so obviously the turnout is going to be more conservative. All the networks are claiming that 17 Iraqi soldiers have "surrendered" though I guess a better word is defected since we're technically fighting yet. We've also hit 10 targets in the no-fly zone.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  04:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it's really 49% in actuality because you also need to factor in all the people who no longer follow politics due to Bush's poor management. That would lower it a bit. Also, I think that if you looked at percentages by states, Texas would probably compensate for the other 49.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not any more.....it's already started! Damn Damn Damn!!!!!!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  09:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
People that no longer follow politics because of Bush's poor management? That strikes me as an incredibly peculiar statement. "Well, I don't like the guy in office...so I'm done with politics." I sat through years of Clinton, and I watched every move he made. People tend to become exceeding more interested when someone does something they don't want...when it's the status quo, people tend to not care. Just disagreeing I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  10:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you CPPJames, at least I tend to watch more closesly at those I don't trust. Yes I watched Clinton, because "she " was the one running the country....he was busy getting blowjobs!

I also watch George because I don't trust him with a 10 foot pole. I have absolutely no respect for the man. But I didn't like Gore either so what can I say? I actually liked Gore years ago but he really changed over the years as VP.

In all the years since I began voting I have yet to vote for someone for President that I was totally happy with. The people I am impressed with never make it that far.

I will probably switch to the Libertarian Party in the next year or so. I have always been registered Republican, but I don't feel like one. I don't feel like a Democrat either.

I have to say it is a lot easier to be critical of who ever is in office. Looking for positives someTIMes requires more effort.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  10:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
there was an article yesterday that i found that siad the suport for the war 'shot up' to 71% after his speech. but people believe what their told. It did the same thing after his state of the union addres, and went back down. So. It doesnt really matter how many people approve of it, he was going to do it no matter what. His over all aproval is around 50, but blairs's (britans prime minister) is only 33%... yikes.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Go to Top of Page

tim~and~dave
Chatterbox

112 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  11:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

...he was busy getting blowjobs!

nothign atall wrong with that is there i think you'll agree
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know this was mentioned before, but seriously...it'd be a hell of a lot easier to read your posts if you punctuated.

Back to the lecture at hand...I think people tend to associate whether a president was good/affective/what have you by the state of the union. This really isn't a great indicator. There are so many factors that the president has no control over. Clinton was lucky enough to have an administration where the biggest issue was the economy. Bush isn't so lucky.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True CCPJ but Bush is making foreign policy a bigger factor than it needed to be. A few questions: How the hell are we going to afford this war? Where does it end? The whole "have Saddam leave Iraq" was a joke. Why should he leave, it is his damn country, who the hell are we to decide who should be in power there? Do you really think there is someone better out there? Don't even get me going on the differences between the Shites and the Sunnis! And the Kurds! They are no angels! Yes Sadam killed thousands of them but don't think for a minute they are much better. Why do you think Turkey is so up tight right now?

Then there are REAL threats like North Korea and Pakistan and India.Syria, lets not forget Syria. And all this time and talk of mass destruction while hundreds of thousands of Aficans are dying of starvation because of the bloody wars there.

I am sorry. Yes I am aware of the danger of mass destructive weapons and yes I know Saddam probably possesses them but I don't think that holds a candle to what else is out there. This isn't suddenly new. These dangers were there prior to 9-11 and 9-11 had NOTHING to do with this as much as Mr Bush tries to say it does!

Sorry if this comes off a bit strong, but to me WAR is almost never an option! Period!

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  4:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love different opinions...no worries =). How are we going to afford the war? Don't really care, personally. Peace of mind has no price tag as far as I'm concerned. Yes, there are other threats out there and yes, they need to be addressed as well.

I'm not saying that I fully support a war in Iraq, I'm simply saying that I don't think it's as horrible of an idea as others do. As far as the starvation comment goes, fair enough. I just think the US needs to stop being the world's policeman. If we solved everyone's problems, we'd have far larger ones here.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  4:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I guess that is all we have is our opinions since we can't do a whole lot about the situation anyway.

Guess the key is to appreciate what we have both materialistic and opinions (freedom of expression). Regardless, I am still glad I live in the USA.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  8:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One thing I'm happy about is that since Vietnam, U.S. citizens have been much better about blaming the politicians rather than the soldiers. (I have a co-worker who was in Vietnam; he was spat upon by people when he came home.)

These days people seem more supportive of Joe Solider. Perhpas they understand now that the military doesn't pick the fights -- the government does.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000