New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  6:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know people on board have talked about what instruments they played, but i would like to catch up on exactly what everyone plays, including the newbies. As i recall we have a lot of bass players on board, but let's see...

My instruments(in level of proficiency (sp?))
Electric Bass
Upright Bass
Vocals(it's also an instument)
Guitars
Drums(percussion as well)
Piano
Pennywhistle
Mandolin/Tenor Banjo
Sax
Trombone(i really suck on this one)

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  6:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, I am impressed!!!!

For me only Piano(I suck) and soon, tabla(hopefully I won't suck, hehe)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  6:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acoustic Guitar
anything I can beat on (boxes, car steering wheel, desk etc)

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  7:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Electric Bass
Upright Bass
Guitar
Percussion
Drum set
Voice
Piano
Alto Sax
edit:Clarinet (I just learned how to play an F Major scale on it...)

As far as proficiency goes...the basses probably account for 3/4 of the whole thing. If that made any sense...

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  9:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Acoustic & Electric Guitar.
Bass.
Piano.
Dulcimer, Hammered Dulcimer.*
Pennywhistle.
Vocals.
Very little percussion.
Harmonica.
Violin.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  10:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Acoustic Guitar
Vocals
Electric Guitar
Bass
Piano/Keyboard/Groove Box
Drums/Percussion

Adam
Go to Top of Page

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  10:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Acoustic Guitar
12/11-String Guitar (sometimes i take off the low E harmonic)
Djembe, other Percussion (but not regular drumset)
Bass
PennyWhistle (easy cuz of diatonic scale, i rock these things)
Piano
Kazoo, Whistle
Vocals

But really my passion is the guitar and the only reason vocals is on there is cuz you guys included it. i really don't know how to sing but it seems to work on certain songs in my range (which is very limited).
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Acoustic guitar
Steering Wheel

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  11:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HTG, i know what you mean, that's the exact same with mine.
my electric bass skills is about 40 percent, by upright is about
30 percent, and then down the line. i'm a pretty good hand-drummer
and set drummer as well, that's what i started out on.

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

tim111262
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just acoustic guitar and saxophone for me:)

Guitar is my life
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My "normal" instruments are (in no particular order):
Drums
Hand Percussion
Trumpet
Trombone
Tuba
Piano

My "abnormal" instruments are (in no particular order):
Chapman Stick
Didjeridu

Yeah, I'm pretty musical I guess...

--Zak
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  8:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
PennyWhistle (easy cuz of diatonic scale, i rock these things)

What about the meat-whistle?

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  3:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes...I've been looking for a female band member lately...the instrument she must play: The Skin Flute.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  05:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guitar
Violin (like 1 week)

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  6:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey I need some help, does anyone know the quality of Lakewood Guitars?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  02:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are pretty high quality as far as I know. They're expensive as hell too. Dave Matthews used to play a M32 I think.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  10:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks alot. I'm looking into a Lakewood, Martin, or Taylor. Which one would you suggest?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I prefer Martin. But, I like a more bassy tone with an acoustic since I use it mostly for rhythm playing to back up my vocals. Taylors are a bit too trebley for me, but they do make some frickin' nice guitars, if you have 5 grand to drop.

As far as Lakewoods, I've never played one, so I don't know what they sound like. But I would imagine they're good for Dave Matthews' style, since he used to use one on the Tim and Dave tours.

If you look on the back of the Live At Luther College CD case, thats a Lakewood M32 Dave is playing. And I think he used it on a few albums...Under The Table being one I think.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks, any other good guitars I should look into?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  9:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've always been partial to Gibson acoustics and acoustic electrics. They make some of the best stuff out there. You also might want to check out Takamine, their higher end stuff is pretty good, as is their lower end more cost effective stuff. But if you're looking at Lakewoods, Martins and Taylors, money is probably not your #1 concern, so I'd say look at some of the Takamines that cost a few grand. The GB7, Garth Brooks signature model is a great guitar. I had a chance to play one a few weeks back at a local shop and I was very impressed. If you don't want Garth's, which has a soundhole the shape of a guitar body, there is the original guitar that was modified to make Garth's signature, but I don't know the model.

Also, Lowdens are great, as are higher end Larivees.

What I really recommend is looking locally for guitar builders. There is a store here in my town called Stars Guitars that only carries hand made acoustics, most of which are made by local guitar makers. I spend a lot of time in that store and they truly have the BEST guitars I've ever played there. I discovered this store about a month after buying my latest Martin, while I already owned a Gibson and a Martin, and I was kicking myself. Just because a guitar maker isn't a household name, doesn't mean that it won't be the best sounding thing out there.

By the way, what kind of music are you looking to play?

Adam
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  10:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flaming Moe anyone?

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  8:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Im going to play Blues and DMB kind of stuff. I also might want to go into classical guitar but i dont want a nylon string guitar yet.
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  8:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

bugman96
Chatterbox

148 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  12:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Send bugman96 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Guitar
Bass (even though I don't own on or regularly play)

and tied for last:

piano and erhu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000