Does this rub anyone else wrong?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  2:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.msnbc.com/news/878794.asp#BODY

I have read over the story and I definitely know where I stand on this matter, but am very interested in hearing others thoughts that I may have overlooked. Bottom line for me is, I do not think it is callous to deny a felon a liver transplant while FREE people are waiting as well especially since taxpayers will foot the bill. I think it is bad enuf that we pay for criminals food and housing, but I really have to draw a line when they talk about giving a convicted felon a liver transplant providing them with a longer life and continue to drain taxpayers money to cloth, feed, and house AND pay for the transplant that will allow the convict to live longer. It may sound cold and heartless, but I just feel their is a limited amount transplant organs available and I just feel there are probably more deserving recipients. I am by no means saying the convict is not entitled, I am just saying the convict should be at the bottom of the list. Just my opinion, anxious to hear others.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  3:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Tax payers already give enough $ to those in prison and tax payers shouldn't have to pick up the tab of a liver translant. But I think if the convicted person has the money for a transplant he or she should be allowed a transplant. Thats just my oppinion on things.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It has always bothered me that people who killed their own liver with drugs and alcohol could have higher transplant priority than people who have a bad liver due to mother nature. Add to that Mama Joy's convict status and the fact that Nebraska taxpayers will be paying for her surgery and I'm ALL riled up.

That said, it's not the responsibility of the medical community to make the call on what's fair. The Hypocratic Oath says nothing about criminals versus "nice people." The doctors must simply look at the medcial facts in all cases and rank the list in an objective way.

I wonder if the guy at the beginning of the article is right about this affecting organ donor recruiting. I guess there are so few felons out there receiving transplanted organs that I wouldn't consider not being an organ donor just because of that. But then I'm pretty altruistic anyway, I suppose.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  4:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Have you guys been keeping up on the botched transplant in the Mexican girl? They gave her a heart and lung of the wrong blood type, put the right pair in a little later, and she died from complications. Now, while my heart goes out to her family for their loss, her parents have decided NOT to put the organs back out for someone else to use!! Let's see...one less heart and one less lung available for people who need it, that's like MURDERING two people.

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  4:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is crappy. Did the parents give any kind of reason?

teri
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  6:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Teri. If people ruin their livers via alcohol, they should be second to those with natural problems. There are so many factors that come into play for a donor to be matched to a recipiant like the blood type, height and weight, age, location. etc. If a decision came between two people I guess then these ethical questions should come into play. It is playing God in the true sense.

SomeTIMes those with the greatest needs aren't even the best candidate because of their condition. I know there was some debate just last week about who should get a transplant, the next one on the list or the one below who has a better chance of survival?
I don't think anyone who is serving time for murder or is on a life sentence, should be eligible. I think there is probably an exception to every rule, but generally speaking those in prison should not be given preference over someone who is paying taxes and lives by the laws.

I don't imagine every organ has gone to "wonderful human beings," but geez, that lady has to be either on a life sentence or a death sentence and I wonder what the point would be to give anyone in that situation anything but first aide and pain relief?

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  6:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, doctors DON'T make the list for organ transplantation. The list is made by an association that rations out the organs. Priority is not given - it's pretty much first come, first served. The other thing is, the organs have to MATCH the recipient. If the prisoner is the only person on the list within the distance the liver can travel (organs can only be preserved for so long) who matches the liver, why waste it? It does suck that taxpayers will foot the bill on this transplant, but remember, this prisoner was not sentenced to DEATH. Refusing to give her proper and appropriate medical care is cruel and unusual punishment. Liver failure doesn't just take you quietly in your sleep...

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  7:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
An interesting point. Thanks for the alternative view.

teri
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  07:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to decide who gets what. I'm not sure I would have given David Crosby a new liver at the TIMe. Does he still drink alcohol these days? Then again if it changes a persons life for the better in that they learn to cherish and value life and stop abusing their organs/body and maybe go on to do great things for someone else, well whos to say. Maybe the convict who gets an organ ends up saving others lives some how later on. I totally agree with what Dickey said. No need to waste a life needlessly if no one else can use the organ.

I don't like the idea of my tax dollars going to pay for cons luxuries however. A friend of mine is a prison guard, correctional officer (whatever you want to call it) and tells me about all the things the cons get. Cigarettes, sex with people from the outside whenever they want, college educations, books, magazines, good food, a full gym, wood shop, internet access and computers, and on and on. They'll spark up a joint right in the guards presence and smoke it until it gets taken away. Which isn't too long but they end up getting a buzz anyway and they have another joint the next day with little or no consequences. Doesn't sound like punishment to me. Thats a NY state medium security prison, but my friend has worked in max security places and says its pretty much the same except more people are in solitary.

I just dragged myself to the accountant yesterday to do my taxes with a nasty flu and if I wasn't sick when I went in, I was sure SICK when I came out. I pay anywhere from 300-400 dollars EACH paycheck in taxes then the accountant tells me I owe 500 MORE dollars to the IRS.
I wouldn't mind paying ALL that hard earned money if I knew my tax dollars were going to pay for good things, however I know part of its going to give convicts a cushy stay in prison or for georges crappy agendas. Interesting that because I don't have children I get soaked to the max. No offense to anyone with kids but in my opinion I should be rewarded with lower taxes because I DON'T have kids adding to the problem of overpopulation and too few resources!!!! Read Ismael

If we learn how to clone and create new organs I wonder if people would abuse their bodies even more thinking "Oh well I can buy new organs just like I can buy new breasts so party on".
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Evergreen, I hear ya on the tax issue but if it makes you feel any better I would rather have your tax bill! I will be paying somewhere between $20,000-$30,000 this year in addition to what I already paid due to an inheritance.

Before you go thinking, well shit, it you are paying all that then you must have gotten a motherload, realize that someone we loved had to die in order for us to get that money and after paying off bills, doing much needed repairs to the house and having 2 kids in college what seemed like a hell of a lot of money, isn't. I am grateful we got the money, but it will all be gone after taxes are paid! And that pisses me off because except for any interest earned, this money was already taxed!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  08:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
20,000-30,000$$$ I hope there was some left over for you! EEEK!
That is harsh. 500$ seemed like alot for me because they take so much each month. Makes you wonder if inheriting/earning more money is good or bad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000