Gibson Digital Guitars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/2003/feb19a.html

Check it out!

Being a nerd, I find this to be incredible! No more expensive guitar cables, the thing hooks up with the standard cat-5. The guitar will have it's own IP address and each string will be picked up separately, meaning you can apply different effect to each one. And I guess if the person playing really sucks, you can just run a denial-of-service attack against him!

Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque an Alien Abductee!

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  4:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That sounds super cool... I'll bet that will lead to effects synthesizers for guitars much like the Korg Triton stuff... which would be incredible.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  4:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by therippa

...the thing hooks up with the standard cat-5. The guitar will have it's own IP address and each string will be picked up separately, meaning you can apply different effect to each one. And I guess if the person playing really sucks, you can just run a denial-of-service attack against him!

Geeks with guitars!!!

In case any of the non-geeks on the board are wondering what cat-5 is, here's a link with info.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll bet that will lead to effects synthesizers for guitars much like the Korg Triton stuff...

You can actually hook a guitar up to a Triton and use its sounds using MIDI. MIDI has come a long way, so it's nowhere near as much of an issue as it used to be I don't think, but the problem with MIDI guitars is that sometimes there can be lag time if you're playing really fast. These Gibsons seem to be taking it to the next level though. I bet soon enough, if not already, you can hook them up to your computer and sample sounds off your hard drive. I'm not a fan of scratching at all, but I still appreciate this technology.... you can buy a setup to where you can use a single special record as a controller to your computer. Instead of carrying around thousands of records, DJs can now use a single record and use samples off their computer. The samples will respond just like they would when you scratch a real record.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's next? Routers/hubs on stages? Going online with your guitar? Somehow I find the idea of browsing to TR.com with my guitar as a very interesting idea.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet you can already do that through MIDI at least anyway. You can probably set up certain note values to represent certain commands. MIDI is not just for music. You can control a light show with your guitar, or keyboard, or saxophone, or anything else you can possibly use as a MIDI controller. And MIDI is just digital data too. So I bet anyone could sit in their room and play MIDI and you'd here sounds and see lights being controlled by them a thousand miles away(I'm sure there are other ways besides MIDI too, I just keep using that as a reference since I had a whole class on nothing but MIDI).
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  8:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to enroll in your school just because the classes sound so cool!

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  9:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

www.fullsail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly