New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hukkanen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  7:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a basic question that I'm sure you all can shed some light on. How do I improve my skills at bending strings? I can't do it very smoothly. It sounds almost as if Tim tunes his guitar in an out of bends.

Thanks.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  8:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, there aren't any real tricks to bending. I think you just need to practice a lot. I'd suggest learning to play To Touch Yearning on See Into Your Soul.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  11:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's all about hand strength and building up those finger tips. Patrick is right... just practice doing bends as much as possible... the stronger your hand gets, the smoother you'll be able to do it. You need to build up your fingertips because generally, it may just hurt too bad to do some bends (especially those long, slow bastards) unless you're playing with some rock solid fingers.

Go to Top of Page

hukkanen
Is Anybody Here?

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip guys. But do strings have an effect on the bending also. I will bend my high E or B string a lot and maybe only get 1 full step bend. To Touch Yearning is a great song to practice this on, too.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  2:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well it depends on the guitar. I think for most acoustics, you should only be able to bend a whole step (without doing serious injury to your fingers). However, on electrics, you can usually bend more, perhaps up to two whole steps.

Although it might have something to do with the strings, I'm not sure. After all, electrics have different strings than acoustics.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  6:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure as to different brands of strings... but guage will definitely have an effect. If you are playing medium or heavy guage strings, they will be bastards to bend.

Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  01:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not sure as to different brands of strings... but guage will definitely have an effect. If you are playing medium or heavy guage strings, they will be bastards to bend.

They're really bastards when they break That's happened way too much to me.

If you buy extra light strings (like Tim, if I remember), you should have an easier time bending, but you also don't have as high a risk of breaking your strings.

It's good to work on vibrato too. Bending is important, but it sounds so much better to be able to bend and vibrato the raised note.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Chatterbox

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  01:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops sorry for bringing up a post from a year ago lol...I was doing a search for something and found this thread, and thought I should post. Didn't even look at the date
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000