New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/index.mhtml?bid=1

Don't you think the jerk would be getting the drift by now!!

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  2:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
so a couple million people march for peace. there were a couple BILLION that didn't. don't go asking Bush just to listen to the majority. i don't want a war so i hope he doesn't. i hope he is basing decisions on facts. maybe war will be necessary, i don't know. and i hesitate to trust anything off that website you linked to without checking out the real facts first. the Nation has aways been an extreme veiwpoint.

with all those millions of protest signs here are some you may have missed.

Peace doesn't mean surredndering to every tyranical Saddam Insane or Kim Jong "mentally" Il that comes along. peace is much greater than that.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  04:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
so a couple million people march for peace. there were a couple BILLION that didn't.

That's assuming every single person on the earth is following
the US trauma drama. I was under the impression that BILLIONS of people live without television, radio, and newspapers. Like those in many parts of Africa, India, Thailand, South American countries and probably many more.

quote:
the Nation has aways been an extreme veiwpoint.

That may be true but I hope you don't think info you get from CNN and the NY TIMES is accurate or unbiased. I happen to like extreme. Just about everything in the article has been reported by other press organizations so I'm not sure I'd call that particular report extreme. Get yourself a shortwave radio and tune into some of the other countries of the worlds news reports. Most are done in english at some point in the day. In many cases you'll find the "plight" of America is not always viewed the way you'll see it on US news.

quote:
with all those millions of protest signs here are some you may have missed.

3 sloppy pro-war signs don't really have me convinced.

quote:
Peace doesn't mean surredndering to every tyranical Saddam Insane

Dealing with Iraq also doesn't mean sending kids over to fight for george bushes agenda. Dealing with it in a non-war format is not surrendering. And I will agree that may not work, but wouldn't it be a good idea to give it a try first.

And everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't post the link to stir any arguments. There has been alot of talk here about the peace marches and the article goes along with those. And we need people like you who are supportive of bush and are willing to go and fight possible wars so that they do not reinstate the draft and haul in people who don't want anything to do with it.
peace
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  05:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and something else to ponder
PJK said:
quote:
Too bad the Congo doesn't have oil. A flu epidemic there has killed over 2,000 people but we barely hear anything about it. The four month long epidemic has infected 100,000! If that happened in the US or Europe it would be front page news.

The country's 4 years of war has killed over 2.5 million mostly due to hunger and disease. But no one cares because it doesn't effect us. Wonder how that would change if they found out it was a country rich in oil?

Go to Top of Page

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  10:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh snap. i'm not saying we should go to war. i did but changed my mind about a month ago (before i even joined the board) and totally don't want to have to fight. i do not agree with any war that is not in self defense. but i also thnk that big guys like US gotta stick up for little guys like Iraqi's.

quote:
Don't you think the jerk would be getting the drift by now!!

quote:
I didn't post the link to stir any arguments.

seems kinda like you did for at least a bit of debate

quote:
3 sloppy pro-war signs don't really have me convinced.

i thought the signs just show how ignorant many of the protesters are. they advocate peace. but by peace they mean peace for us. they forget about these people who are suffering and the only way to save them may be a war. and how france was still advocating peace talks when the germans marched in. and how many americans died in a war that had to be fought to end slavery.

and the Congo. whoa. that has a lot to do with nigeria right? i may be wrong about the country but like how the dictator took up all the colonial farms and redistributed them and then no one knew how to run the farms. they used to feed most of the continent and this has led to the huge famine in africa. i agree that we should do something. of course they aren't about to be launching any WMD missiles soon. but i am sure we are sending supplies. the US does a lot of good in the world. and i think we should be doing more...

and it is okay to read the Nation. just read an equally extreme right veiwpoint and maybe something in the middle. listen to both sides...
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  4:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
seems kinda like you did for at least a bit of debate

Hi my name is Evergreen I don't think we've met(a little note of sarcasm.) I just noticed you haven't been around for too long so you may not know about my extreme repulsion for george bush. Or YOU could be ready for another devils advocate debate since the religion thread is cooling off a little. hhhmmmmm I wonder.

Anyway, I'm glad you joined our group and I hope you listen to Tim alot. If you go back and read read read you'll notice that I bash george quite frequently. I realize some people here may think he's doing a good job. And once again everyone is entitled to their own opinions. And in fact I'd rather NOT debate george because you'll NEVER convince me he's good for this country nor do I want to convince anyone he's evil(please form your own opinion from his actions) In a few short years, he has managed to change very strict environmental laws making them more lenient for large factories, fossil fuel burning car manufacturers, genetic food producers, pesticide producers, deforestation companys, and countless other polluters and destroyers of nature.

In fact just friday 2/14, with all this war, terror, high alert, plastic, and duct tape crap going on,and oh yes VALENTINES day, (major sarcasm), many americans missed another bit of news. Air and water pollution laws were yet rewritten again(that makes twice in 6 months)making them EVEN MORE lenient for factories and car producers than the last TIMe. Here's some local info on it.
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/bfpnews/local/2000h.htm

And could it have anything to do with the rising costs of oil or does george just wanna kill off all the forests and pollute even more than we already do. And what does God think about us americans destroying nature so we can burn oil and mass produce stuff (shit) people don't need to the point of going to war over it? And how does iraq fit in to all this? And why do lobbyists keep alternative renewable fuel sources from going anywhere so we can burn oil. And why does the term oil keep popping up rather than aiding in the advocation of human rights with this war in iraq? And why is george making it worse than many(maybe all) presidents before him?

Does anyone see any parallels? It costs alot of money to control emissions from a car factory AND buy expensive oil to run it AND take a hit in reduced sales. It takes someone with a rich texas oil history like george to keep oil a top priority and help those poor factories so they don't lose money when car and suv sales go down as a result of such high gas prices. He's just doing them a favor by changing those pollution laws. Who cares how its affecting peoples health and nature they'll be dead and gone but oil, cars and factories will live on and make this world a better place. So few press agencies are reporting on bush's new environmental enactments, I can't find any other reports on it to post more links for you. Lotta articles about getting something for that someone special on valentines day though!!!

My church, religion, and God are the mountains, trees, water, rivers, lakes, animals, plants, rocks, and everything else found in nature. I find the bush administration to be a HUGE threat to those things and therefore my soul and existence. Thats why I made the comment about georgie boy being a JERK and I will continue as long as he's trashing our nature and a war monger for the sake of oil.

and so, no need for debate
Go to Top of Page

tim~and~dave
Chatterbox

112 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  4:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

703!

I'm going to give this "punctuation" thing a chance. How am I doing?
Go to Top of Page

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
whoa buddy. you really don't like the guy. i must say i am at least impressed with your conviction. and commitment to it as well. I don't really base a lot of my opinion on environmental issues but maybe i should at least look into it. Abortion was on the top of my list in the last election.

I believe that God is the Father up above and one of the first things He did was to make the most beautiful garden ever imagined. then the second thing he told adam to do was to take care of the world and have dominion/responsibility over it. so i am right with you. it is God ordained to be environmentally friendly. so there is no excuse for many of the atrocities we see this country commit.

it's good to meet you evergreen (something tells me i should have been able to figure a lot oout just by your name). i look forward to what we can learn from eachother.

word.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  07:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the artists were told at the Grammy's last night that they were not allowed to say anything about the war or the network would switch to the news station. One brave soul did get in a short comment though.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I heard the artists were told at the Grammy's last night that they were not allowed to say anything about the war or the network would switch to the news station. One brave soul did get in a short comment though.

no they are allowed to say whatever they want. someone made that up.

here's a news report:

Grammy stars free to sing out on war

By GEORGE RUSH and ISAAC GUZMAN
NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Get ready for antiwar protests at tomorrow night's Grammy Awards ceremony.
Despite a report that CBS executives had considered blocking politically outspoken rockers, the network said last night it would not pull the plug on anyone protesting a war against Iraq.

The Drudge Report, an Internet news site, quoted an anonymous CBS chieftain as saying the network would cut the microphone of any rocker who engaged in antiwar rhetoric.

But CBS quickly moved to squelch the story.

"There will be no restrictions on artistic expression or opinions expressed during acceptance speeches," said CBS spokesman Chris Ender.

Musician Sheryl Crow, who made headlines when she wore a "War Is Not the Answer" T-shirt at the American Music Awards in January, plans to hand out 300 "No War" buttons tomorrow.

"If we can't turn to our artists, who can we look to?" Crow told the Daily News. "I think there will be artists stepping forward and making statements."

At Thursday's Brit Awards in London, Chris Martin of English band Coldplay said, "We are all going to die when George Bush has his way. But it's great to go out with a bang."

The Grammys will be handed out during a 3-1/2-hour telecast from Madison Square Garden.

Originally published on February 22, 2003
Go to Top of Page

Miss Sorrel
Yak Addict

593 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  12:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Sorrel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just have to say that I enjoy all that is spoken of on this board, especially regarding all the Iraqi affairs. Between what I study and one of my jobs, I have to research and do a lot of writing this topic. While some of what is done can be opinion based, majority of it has to be factual in the sense that it is what it is, and isn’t leaning toward either view too heavily. Since joining, there have been several TIMes that I have gone on the board to see others opinions, seeing what makes people tick, and what topics are relatively easy for everybody to talk about. So keep it comin’. It’s a great way to talk about “how you really feel”… and it helps me out a lot!

Thanks everybody!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000