How can I get something done at work???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  5:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Heres the situation:

I do security for an company in town that we'll call Company A. I work at one of their buildings where most of what is done is customer service. The particular building I work in 2 days a week, is partially leased by ANOTHER company that we'll call Company B. Company B is sells software and stuff, and their business is also tech support, customer service, etc... They used to OWN the whole building, now Company A owns it, and leases the small section of the building to Company B.

The piece of advice I need is on our handicapped access. We have a handicapped entrance to the building, which worked up until two weeks ago. A strong wind blew the door right off of its hinges, and now the door as been repaired, but the handicapped door does not work. I asked one of the maintenance guys about it, he told me it NEVER worked, but I know it did. Also, one of the Company B employees is in a wheelchair, and relys on that handicapped door for access. Otherwise, he has to wait for someone to come along to hold the door for him. Jim (the officer there the days I am not) and I run out and get the door for him when we can, but we are not always available to do so. And some days he comes in on the weekends, and we are not there to get the door for him. Some security I know, only THERE mon-fri.

We've been trying to get the Company A's maintenance department to fix it for two weeks now, and they haven't. So Jim, and the handicapped people in the building, and I want to try to contact some sort of official organization. Maybe Robert, the guy in the wheelchair, can make a phone call and get Company A in trouble for not having handicapped access. There are multiple handicapped doors in the building. And the one that recently broke is the ONLY ONE that EVER worked.

Jim and I think it has to be some kind of building code violation. And we have made this idle threat to maintenance, but they don't think that we'll contact any other organization and report it. That's why my idea was to have the handicapped employees contact someone.

Any thoughts? And WHO should be contacted??

Thanks,

Adam

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  6:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think Better Business would be more than happy to help. And it is a building violation, maybe calling a city official to have a building inspector come by.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  6:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other disability-related nondiscrimination laws have specific requirements regarding reasonable accommodations. ODEP's Job Accommodation Network (JAN) has a wealth of information on accommodations for both employers and employees on the JAN website or by calling 800-526-7234. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) also has an excellent resource for employers regarding accommodations, "Small Employers and Reasonable Accommodation," available online at

www.eeoc.gov/facts/accommodation.html

In particular, this one talks about public accommodations for handicapped people:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/adaqa2.html

If you arm yourself with the legal information above, you might be able to get some help (or at least the right point of contact) from citymanager@cityofmarion.org

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey GG305, did you give any of Tericee's suggestions a try?

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  7:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I told the guy in the wheelchair and the other handicapped employees about those options, and they all seemed interested in checking them out. On another note, Jim tells me that a few of the maintenence guys were out today looking at the door, so it may get fixed before any shit can be started

Thanks for the info Tericee.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  7:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
GG305 said:
quote:
Jim tells me that a few of the maintenence guys were out today looking at the door, so it may get fixed before any shit can be started

That would be great too. As always say, "Don't start no shit, won't be no shit!" It would be a much nicer world if everyone just wanted to do stuff to help others and not be forced to do because someone started some shit about it.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2003 :  11:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did it get fixed????? Just wondering what happened.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000