Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 maybe you can help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  12:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im thinking about changing my major from english teacher to something in the recording industry. i really know nothing about this field (specific majors, jobs available, etc), and was wondering if anybody here is in this field, or is going to school for this. any information at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

take it easy. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/ccr152

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  3:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't help you but I just think it's funny because my daughters boyfriend just announced he's changing his major from performance jazz(he's 3rd year) to English major! Loves the music, but even his professors are telling the kids there's no money to be had in jazz.
Which I was kind of pissed at because I think if you want something bad enough you shouldn't let anyone talk you out of it.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  3:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was asked this question by a board member a long TIMe ago and recommended Middle Tennessee State Univ. They have a wonderful Record Industry Management course. My dad used to teach there. They also have a wonderful Radio and Television dept and recording studio for students. Well I talked to her recently and she is really loving the course there. She is anxious to get out into the music world and start working with bands. It is weird to think that someone is going to college based on my recommendation. Basically, a total stranger as well, but she was just IMing me the other day to thank me for getting her on the right path at MTSU. I would look into that. I just recommended it to someone else who asked me the same question while I was IMing the girl I recommended it to. It was one of those amazing SYCHRONISTIC moments. I had them email each other and she answered all his questions about it. It was way kewl. I should probably get a cut from the school for all the students I am sending their way. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Dirtysloth (Patrick O) is doing the same thing in Florida. You could email him and I'm sure he would be happy to give you info.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  5:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Funny you mention English teacher...I'm currently taking classes to do just that, but the more it goes on the less enthused I am about it. I'm considering going back to school full-time, but I don't even know what for...possibly my Masters, but again, writing English papers is starting to be a drag.
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  7:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just gradumacated from Music Tech for bass performence...but they also have a 2 year recording engineer/live sound program. There's another school here in the twin cities does just that..I think it's called IPR. Now I'm going on and trying to get a music education degree...which is becoming harder than I thought it would be...

www.musictech.com
http://www.iprschool.com/

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  7:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i wished i lived closer to tennessee...im currently going to bowling green state university, in northwest ohio. im not sure if going to school so far away would go over very well, also i'd have to pay out-of-state tuition fees. i wish there was a school like that closer to my neck of the woods. thank you for all the info though, ill keep looking into things.

take it easy. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/ccr152
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  9:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm planning on getting a minor in jazz studies in college, probably major in music industry, something like that. i'd love to play, record and produce music, that'd be awesome for me!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000