USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  10:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  10:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you forgot to quote what he said right before those comments though.

quote:
You last played with DMB in 1998 (when "Live in Chicago" was recorded) and with Dave in winter 1999. Any plans to play with him or the band again?

We may get together to do some acoustic touring sometime in the future. I was contacted last year, by his manager, to do something. But I never heard back, maybe due to 9/11. Dave is the most giving, the sweetest person. He'd be like, "Hey, Timmy, I love what you're doing. Go for it.'

Here are my theories.

dave contacted tim after he decided to go solo. That way if tim couldnt do it he had a tour under his belt either way. So it wasnt till last minute that it was confirmed, though the rumours started when they heard dave was planning it way earlier (winter tour time).

Im kind of irritated at the politics involved within the fanbase when it comes to "sources". "sources close to us say..." and "my source tells me...". Bugs me. I think we're real lucky fluffy gives us all the info we have, it makes our fanbase here so much less interested in who says what. But many dmb fans are way more interested in getting recognition through their 'connections'.[/rant]

Anyway, the dmb fanbase is shit at the moment and the audiences will be horrible. But im excited as all hell I kind of thought fluf wasnt saying anything for a reason, though my honest reasoning was that he was tired of all the false rumours and such. I wouldnt blame him in either case, since him coming to the boards and saying "d+t '03!" wouldve caused waaaay more shit than the comotion already.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  11:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait what
Go to Top of Page

rgreen
Is Anybody Here?

5 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  1:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit rgreen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sure would be nice if these shows had a fair percentage of Tim fans in the audience, limiting the sorority screaming a tad. Good luck getting tickets everyone, it should be fun!
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  1:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the Dave fan base is just sad right now. I love Dave and I love Tim both together and apart, as I've said several times. I'm truly excited about this tour myself, and I'll go to extreme lengths to get tickets. Last Dave show I went to (12/10 Tampa)...was pathetic. If they weren't playing something off Busted Stuff or Everyday, people were sitting down and kept saying "what song is this?". I actually heard someone ask what Ants Marching was...and I wasn't far from the stage. This is something that I really really worry about with D+T because I'm afraid that I'm going to get tickets somehow and spend a couple grand and end up having a bad experience because of people yelling out for Crash and Scream. Can't wait to yell out Kundalini if I get the chance =).

James

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  2:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen, over 1.5 million people saw DMB this year....for any of you to lump that many people into one group and make generalizations about them is just idiotic.

Also, if you go to a show and let the crowd ruin the show for you, that's your own fault. Point is, Dave and Tim are going to be up there putting on amazing shows, and that's all that matters to me. Even when the crowd was at its worst during the 1999 tour, the music was still incredible.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  2:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude stop being to critical!! chill out man. i wanna go to
a dave and tim concert and yell out for "donkey bong, backdoor",
and just a bunch of his electric songs. that'd be soo awesome if
he played some of those!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  3:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I gotta admit, the last time I saw D&T in 99, the fans ruined half of the show. They just chatter and scream through the entire show like it's some god-given opportunity to have a 500-decibel conversation with Dave.

I also agree that if the Warehouse gets tickets for Dave fans, Fluffy should get some tickets for the Tim fans as well (most of whom are much more deserving and appreciative than the average WHer). I think a big Tim presence would help to shut up the screaming 14 year-old girls and their "Dave, I love you!!" yelps.

Just my opinion.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  4:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dickey500

I gotta admit, the last time I saw D&T in 99, the fans ruined half of the show. They just chatter and scream through the entire show like it's some god-given opportunity to have a 500-decibel conversation with Dave.

I agree. Also, I think if any thing the fans will also ruin the tour this year. It's either going to be screams of really obscure songs that Dave will never play or screams of all the radio oriented songs off of Everyday. I am really excited about the tour and such, but the dumber fans will ruin it for us all.
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  5:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  5:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sorry you feel that they will ruin the tour...I for one intend to tune out any morons there and enjoy the music. If you have already decided the show is going to be ruined for you, why even go?

And 60% of the fanbase? Way to pull numbers out of your ass.
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  5:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey hey
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  5:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DMBFanSJ

Well I'm sorry you feel that they will ruin the tour...I for one intend to tune out any morons there and enjoy the music. If you have already decided the show is going to be ruined for you, why even go?

Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  6:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chill out
Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  6:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Your posts just confirmed it to be 60.01%.

[/quote]

Nice lol
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  6:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

theres a big difference between the idiots that you can tune out and the idiots that are too drunk to realize theyre:

* talking to you durring a great song about how much they love the band. very loudly.
* talking on their phone so much you want to shove it into their eye sockets
* spilling anything on you
* etc.

and id say 60% of the fanbase are morons too. Ive met wonderful people that love dmb but ive also met people that are too stupid to be alive, on and offline.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm a pop-loving moron, whatever....sometimes I feel like this board is nothing but whiners and assholes
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I for one intend to tune out any morons there and enjoy the music. If you have already decided the show is going to be ruined for you, why even go?

First of all, good luck getting tickets. I'd love to be so cocksure, but I don't have that luxury. I'll put in my WH requests and see what happens, but I'd bet on being denied. I'd also like to say that I think the truly hardcore Tim fans that criticize Tim for making this move are really being childish. Let the man do whatever the hell he wants...if you're as talented as Tim someday, I imagine you'd resent dissent among your fan base because you decided to do a few shows with an old friend, for whatever reason.

As far as thinking the fans may ruin the experience...look at the past. 96+97 would have been a beautiful time to see them, but from what I heard 99 was about the worst year for fans, with the exception of 2-7-99. Granted, I have hope that I'll be able to attend and that the crowd will shut up...I certainly hope so.

James

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What did I say that made you think I was 'cocksure' I was gonna get tickets?

From the thread I created:

"Oh not to worry, I'm quite the considerate fan.

I will go to whatever show/shows I can get tickets for....I imagine it's gonna be hard as heck to get any.

*sigh*.....it's about TIMe this happened!"
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I'm a pop-loving moron, whatever....sometimes I feel like this board is nothing but whiners and assholes

way to take that out of context. I have my doubts youre that bright.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

I'd also like to say that I think the truly hardcore Tim fans that criticize Tim for making this move are really being childish. Let the man do whatever the hell he wants...if you're as talented as Tim someday, I imagine you'd resent dissent among your fan base because you decided to do a few shows with an old friend, for whatever reason.

I have yet to see where youre pulling THIS out of. Where did anyone say that?

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar666

quote:

Your posts just confirmed it to be 60.01%.

This is what I was replying to Erich....I took nothing out of context.
Go to Top of Page

Erich
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1427 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  7:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Erich an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is what I was replying to Erich....I took nothing out of context.

I apologize then.

lets cut the bickering, we're all excited. I know i had some pretty shitty experiences at dmb shows, and to think the d+ts are worse baffles me. even solo shows werent that good with tim in terms of the crowd. theyre awful and make it really hard to listen to anything playing unless you tell them to shut up.

~pw'oikr
~( ">
Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  8:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah...I was just listening to one of the 99 D&T shows and someone yelled to dave "Shut up and play!" Dave said "Shut up and play? Bite my dick mothafucka!"

Hopefully if I get to go to a show there won't be anyone yelling stuff like that...I don't know how anyone could be that rude.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  8:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What did I say that made you think I was 'cocksure' I was gonna get tickets?

Exactly the part I quoted. "Tuning out the morons there" would imply assuming you'd be there. I'm not worried about it in any event. Let's all hope that those of us that want tickets can get them.

James

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  9:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright now some dave fans are morons some aren't. i consider myself a pretty big dave fan, hell i own every recording they've ever released! But Don't take offense by someone saying that some dave fans are morons, just say to yourself "i'm not an idiot, i'm a pretty nice guy in fact." by name calling back and forth you really show your true colors...

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  9:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if there's idiot Tim fans =)? Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have wondered this outloud. I tend to doubt it though.

James

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  10:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an idiot at TIMes. nobody is perfect.

Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  10:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And humble too!

James

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  03:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

I'd also like to say that I think the truly hardcore Tim fans that criticize Tim for making this move are really being childish. Let the man do whatever the hell he wants...if you're as talented as Tim someday, I imagine you'd resent dissent among your fan base because you decided to do a few shows with an old friend, for whatever reason.

It's not so much complaining about what TIM has decided to do as it is our shock that this is happening. From the information given to us by Fluffy, TIM, etc., most of us got the impression that this type of tour was far off on the horizon, if that. I mean, Fluffy told us that TR was getting back into the acoustic stuff. That alone surprised most of us. I figured he'd ride the electric wave for awhile. Bah......but I'm just "typing out loud".

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, while I'm a huge Dave fan...when I go to a Tim concert, I don't go because of Luther College. I go because of Nomadic Wavelength, Gossip of the Neurons and all my other favorites. For the most part, attendance at Tim shows is relatively small and I don't think this will ruin future Tim shows, is all I'm trying to say. Granted, there's always at least one person at a show that expects Tim to play Tripping Billies or something...but that happened well before this announcement.

Just my two cents,
James

Go to Top of Page

Dickey500
Chatterbox

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  4:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Dickey500 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whomever said they were going to "tune out" the screaming morons was obviously not around for the 99 tour. People are generally quiet for the DMB songs, but when Dave tells a story or Tim plays a song, the crowd thinks that it's a friggin free-for-all to chit chat with the entertainers.

All the DMB fans (myself included) are used to huge shows where you can scream the whole night and not bother a soul...unfortunately, many are not intelligent enough to understand there's a difference between Giants Stadium and a theater that holds 2000 people.

My one request is this: if you do get tickets (and I pray that we all get what we want)...just be cool and police the people around you. If that doesn't work, be a dick and call security. Hell Yeah.

"All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  10:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I went to a show earlier this year (with enthuTIMsiast, who had a better seat than I did) and found that most of the people around me were there to see who else was there and sing along with the two or so song they knew the words to. The rest of the time they were on their cell phones ("I'm over here near the hot dog stand; can you see me?) oblivious to the concert going on. I'm hoping that it was only because I was in the cheap seats. No, that's not right. There were no seats. I was in the grass. And smelling it too. I guess that's what the people who WEREN'T on their phones were doing.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  3:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean...but I went to the Tampa show (12/10) and I was dead center, not too far from the stage on the floor and everyone sang for two songs and was shocked that I knew their older material. I was singing along to Ants Marching and this girl was like "Wow, how many shows have you been to?". I was floored by that. I miss the good ole days.

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  12:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  3:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what everyone wants to hear from me.

First, I never said "It will NEVER happen". In almost every thread where it was discussed I always said TR just waits for a call from Dave. That call finally came. Apparently the call came while we were on the second leg of the ChaosView tour, but it had never been confirmed. Dave's management called TR's house and asked if he would possibly have the TIMe and be interested in doing some acoustic dates with Dave. TR said he would and waited for confirmation that it was happening. Somewhere in the middle of the tour, I got a call from Tom asking me about it, because he had been calling around trying to set up TR shows and the people he was talking to told him they had been contacted about a possible D&T tour. He called me to ask about it and I discreetly asked TR about it. He confirmed that he had been called about the possibility but no confirmation had come. We decided at that point it was better to not mention it as it would get everyones hopes up and then they would be crushed if it didn't happen. Keep in mind, TR has recieved this call many TIMes and nothing ever came from it, so we just wanted to make sure before we started getting everyones hopes up. Of course by that point the rumor was on the street of a possible Dave solo tour because of the phone calls that had been put out to the various venues being considered. It was still not definite so we still did not want to mention if for fear of crushing everyones hopes when it didn't end up happening or worse jeopardizing it's happening by mentioning it before DMB released the info. As the ChaosView tour ended we still had no solid confirmation and TR was hoping to recieve a call after he returned home. I kept in contact with him waiting for confirmation but it was all still up in the air. Then Tom called with the CO dates and I called TR to make sure it was OK to announce these and again I asked about the D&T tour but as Dave and Co. had made no official annoucement we decided that we should not be the ones to break the news as it was a DMB production not ours. You must remember that TR is a hired gun on these and it's still Dave's party. Us annoucing it could possibly spoil the chances of it happening, so out of respect for the fans, Dave and the DMB management we kept our mouths shut. I asked on numerous occasions to be kept in the loop about the official annoucement so mine could correspond to their annoucement, but apparently I am not the "big fish" you think I am. I was in the studio recording my friends band when I returned home a day after annoucing the TR dates in CO when I found out that DMB had earlier in the day annouced the D&T tour. I was already inundated with questions, comments and angry remarks to the effect that I had let people down or that TR was somehow going back on his word. TR still wants to do ELECTRIC music and will continue the ChaosView material when his work with Dave is over, but he saw an opportunity to work with Dave, which as we all know does not come up very often these days and he took it. He has not shifted HIS musical direction, HIS music will continue on after this short, but sweet, run of work with Dave. He is not selling out, he is not going back on his word, he is just taking a rare opportunity to work with his friends and also give people something they have been bugging him about for quite sometime. It works to everyones benefit and it isn't a commitment of a year or anything that will keep him from his career as a solo artist and what he wants to accomplish as a solo artist. As it stands, I will not be accompanying TR on the dates with Dave. Dave has a full crew to handle all of TR's wants and needs. TR is a hired gun in a situation like this so it is unfortunately not in our ability to get tickets, or backstage access the way it is on a TR tour, for what should be OBVIOUS reasons. You must remember it is NOT a TR TouR, even though alot of us still see it as that. The same rules do not apply. Anyway, I have rambled on and on again, I hope this answers everyones questions, and everyone understands the awkward position we were in about announcing it. So you know, I had you all at heart as I hounded them for details so I could let you know first as I have always promised but in this situation it just couldn't be that way. I hope you all understand.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  4:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
a large PS: Big thanx and Kudos go out to Erich who was one of the only people who I felt like he understood my position before I said anything and for defending me when I was feeling quite attacked and betrayed. It is always nice to know someone is looking out for you. Don't think it went unnoticed Erich, THANX AGAIN!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lovely
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i never commented on the subject, but i figured if you knew that was cool, and if not, that was cool too. thanks for the info though fluffy!

Go to Top of Page

DMBFanSJ
Try A Little Harder

78 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  5:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fluffy,

Are you gonna be able to follow them around and at least go to the shows yourself?

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was already inundated with questions, comments and angry remarks to the effect that I had let people down or that TR was somehow going back on his word.

I had a bad feeling about that happening.

quote:
a large PS: Big thanx and Kudos go out to Erich who was one of the only people who I felt like he understood my position before I said anything and for defending me when I was feeling quite attacked and betrayed. It is always nice to know someone is looking out for you. Don't think it went unnoticed Erich, THANX AGAIN!!!

Ehem...

Evergreen said:
quote:
I know I'll get bashed for saying this but..... It's not THAT big a deal! It's also not that big a deal to throw Fluffy comments like "how come you didn't tell us". alot of those comments seemed to put him on the spot. That's not really fair to him. Just because he chooses to be friends with TR fans and hang out on the board doesn't mean he's required to disclose business "things" that are between he and Tim. And that's if he even knew. There IS the chance that he didn't know either. And I should let him speak for himself, but the comments (direct or indirect) towards Fluffy on this whole T&D thing bothered me.

Silky said:
quote:
Exactly! Assuming that he did know, imagine the kind of shockwave and frenzy it would have caused if he had posted that information here. All the lurkurs from nancies/antsmarching etc. would go back to their boards shooting their mouths off that they have inside info and the whole thing would be a mess. I am GLAD Fluffy didn't say anything... it was the right thing to do from any standpoint.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  10:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I stay away from Dave/TIM topics because I always get myself in trouble by doing so. I had a feeling I should stay out of this one too but I didn't.....when am I going to listen to myself?

Having said that, I will say that I felt pretty down when I heard about the Dave/TIM tour. I just thought there seemed to be such a big deal made over people calling out for Stream or a Dave song at TIM's concerts and I had the impression that TIM was trying to distance himself from Dave because his music was taking another direction.

Different TIMes on the board there were things mentioned about the advertizing of TIMs concerts and how it made people mad because it attracted DMB fans.

I understand what Fluffy was saying about the friendship of TIM and Dave, but at the same TIMe I think it did send out mixed signals. I don't think you can blame anyone for coming to the conclusions they did.

As stated before, I don't really care one way or another. I like TIMs music, I like some of Daves music. I was not a big fan of Live at Luther college, not to say I hated it, I just rarely listened to it.

I got into TIMs music because of Offering. I didn't associate TIM with Dave. (I was never that big of a DMB fan)

I for one, don't care if he plays with Dave or alone, I would go to any concert simply to hear him! At the same TIMe I really don't want to hear any more complaining about DMB fans who show up at TIM's concerts or advertizing that says things like TIM Reynolds of DMB fame, etc. You can't have your cake and eat it too....well you can, but just don't complain about it!

As for blaming Fluffy, it certainly didn't take a rocket scientist to understand why he didn't say anything about it earlier. I don't really know what all was said in regards to Fluffy because I didn't go into any of those threads.I just felt bad that he stayed off the board (posting) for so long after the DMB announcement.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar666

I am sure you suddenly had many new best friends.

He suddenly had new best sisters too! Who'da thought?

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  05:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks as though kudos and thanx are also due Silky and Evergreen. I am assuming those posts are from elsewhere on the board since I don't see them in this thread. If they were in one of the many "D&T" threads that sprung up shortly after the annoucement, I probably missed them as I didn't delve to deeply in to any of them after reading this thread. Sorry for not seeing them or acknowledging them and THANX for understanding the awkward position I was in. As always I will continue to give you information as I can, but in this case it was just out of my control.

As for TR having his cake and eating it too, well I don't think anyone ever said they didn't want DMB fans at the shows. We would love to have DMB fans at TR shows, I would just ask that if they come they understand that a TR show is not a Dave show. Nobody complains about DMB fans at TR shows, they complain about the DMB fans who have no interest in TR's music at the shows. As for advertising, I am sure in the grand scheme of things TR wouldn't mind the association in advertising if we didn't feel that it attracted the wrong audience. It is more out of respect for the DMB fans that TR asks that the association not be made than for himself. He understands that people will read that and come expecting something similar to DMB music when TR's music has very little in common with that. We feel it brings people to the TR show who will be let down with the experience if they come expecting a show akin to a DMB show. It is not that TR doesn't want the association or is trying to shun it, it just doesn't attract a crowd that will be interested in what TR does solo so it seems to us to be the wrong way to advertise it. Kind of misleading. So hopefully TR will be able to have his cake and eat it too. He has never tried to distance himself from Dave except to the degree that he felt it may mislead people about what to expect from a TR show. In a perfect world MUSIC LOVERS would go to concerts and be entertained by whatever they saw, but we know that is not the case these days. Another part of this to understand is that most people do not understand how the business works. They may look at a flier advertising TR from DMB fame and attend the show expecting something similar. When it doesn't happen, they go away mad that they wasted their money and thinking what a sellout TR is for advertising himself that way. They do not understand that it is THE VENUE who does the advertising in an attempt to put bodies in the seats. They tend to blame the artist in a situation like that and feel they have been somehow mislead by the artist and not the venue. TR's desire to not have his advertising reflect a DMB reference is out of respect for the potential audience and respect for DMB. Demanding it in advertising would be the sell out. I don't think it is to much to ask that he be able to play some dates with his friend Dave and then be able to resume his career without wanting to "sell out" using Dave or DMB in advertising his shows. You don't go to a Matchbox20 show and see signs that say "featuring Rob of Santana fame", it's just cheesy. You want to be an artist and make it on your own merit. Does that mean he is never supposed to work for another artist again? Sounds like you are saying that he shouldn't work with others if he doesn't want to be associated with them. Well that just isn't the case, he just doesn't want to mislead or give the appearance of "selling out", I find that to be an admirable trait. I can't think of too many artists that would play with Dave or DMB and not try to use that as a strong selling point. If Dave played on most bands or artists records, you can bet there would be a sticker on the front advertising that as a selling point. In this scenario, it would be done by the record company in hopes of boosting sales for their artist. It the case of clubs, it is done to get people to show up. For an artist like TR to request that Dave and DMB not be used in advertising is pretty unheard of in this day and age and I quite respect him for it. He is an artist who wants to succeed or fail on his own merits. Quite admirable. So I say, let him have his cake(play with Dave)and eat it too(not sell out in the advertising department).

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

They do not understand that it is THE VENUE who does the advertising in an attempt to put bodies in the seats. They tend to blame the artist in a situation like that and feel they have been somehow mislead by the artist and not the venue.

I kinda figured it was the venue in Tampa. When they misspelled Matthews, it was a dead giveaway. I know what you're saying about not wanting people to show up expecting a DMB type show. I heard Luther College and realized that Tim was just in a league of his own, so I immediately pursued his solo works. I knew what to expect (as much as one can) when I saw Tim the first TIMe, but I could tell there were people there that didn't. Some guy yelled out Tripping Billies and I just cringed. Not that I have anything against the song...in fact I love it, but I thought it was way out of place as I'm sure most of you would.

In any event, I think it's really honorable of Tim to shun the DMB association so as not to mislead people. The man's emotional merits are impressing me even more than his music (if that's even possible).

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, Fluffy, your long post sure is hard on the eyes. Maybe you could break them up a bit in the future. As for the content I understand what you are saying and pretty much agree but I think I will finally take my own advice as per the religion topic on the other side of the boards. Being a lurker is a lot less stressful.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  5:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must admit I haven't followed the relegion post all that much but I am not sure what you said about lurking there. As for my comments here, I was just trying to clarify the situation for you. I certainly hope my comments have not driven you from the board. That would be a great loss to all. As I stated in my only post on the relegion board is the great way we can discuss things here and not get bent out of shape. My comments were not directed at you in an attacking manner, all I wanted to do was help clarify something that seemed to be a hypocrisy to you. I also went a little overboard since on the board you are not talking to one person but to alot of people and I wanted it to be clear for EVERYONE. My posts like that tend to address the board so that everyone will have a better understanding of the situation usually based on one persons comments. In this case it was yours. Everyone takes my responses so personally when they are not meant that way at all. I seem to do this on the board alot and maybe I should just refrain from preaching because I always seem to end up offending someone when that is not my intention in the least. I hope you will reconsider you decision to just be a lurker as your input and comments are quite valued here, at least by me, and I would assume by lots of others.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I hope you will reconsider you decision to just be a lurker as your input and comments are quite valued here, at least by me, and I would assume by lots of others.

Ditto.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  8:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
fact: lots of people go to dave and tim shows (and just shows in general) absolutely wasted. they don't like the band that much, and they're self centered assholes to know they're ruining it for people who actually like the band. they just get wasted and go find something to do, because they can't enjoy anything sober. lots of dave fans are like this. if you're gonna get drunk, do it at a bar or at home. you can get drunk anywhere. i can only see a specific show in a certain place. go sober or don't go. unless the show's at a bar, in which case whatever.

people stopped going to shows drunk after reading this post.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2003 :  8:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
there are 102 kids in my grade. turns out around 60 of them fit the above description. this comes out to roughly 60%, so that's a dick in your mouth.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  10:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

go sober or don't go.

I agree with this to an extent. I think moderation is the key. If I can have a few drinks and still be courteous, then I don't see the problem with that.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  10:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well, yeah, i mean, drinking or not is a choice. i don't drink, but i don't look down on drinking unless you can't have fun without it. then it sucks. but for the most part, i think drinking is fine. but there's a time and a place. for example, if you go to see a show at a bar, which i usually don't, then people getting drunk there is fine. it's a bar. that's what people do there. but if you're at saratoga performing arts center, or a stadium somewhere, that's different. use good judgement.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

CPPJames
Yak Addict

Fyro Macedonia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  10:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Send CPPJames an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Agreed...speaking of SPAC, that's a pretty good venue. I've seen a few shows there and I enjoyed every one. On the other hand, I saw a show at Darien Lake and the drunks ruined it.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  8:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
spac is a damned fine place. they're clowns about all the stuff you can't bring in, but still. good place.

death to false metal.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  9:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TTT Don't know if everyone got a chance to see my comments on this one. I know alot of you were waiting for me to say SOMETHING. Here it is.

Plus, it seems that because of the impending T&D TouR, we have alot of guests stopping by. I think this topic might interest a few of them and help clear up some of their notions on TR. Hope it helps!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TTT for the increased traffic

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  4:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey zachmozack, based on your comments in the other thread, I thought you might find some of my explanations in this ole thread interesting and my help to shed more light on the enigma(I love that word)that is TR. ENJOY!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely interesting thanks fluffy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: