Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Anti-war rally to be held in DC on Jan 18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just saw this posted on MichaelMoore.com...

For months now, "President" Bush and his pals have been talking about the absolute necessity of a war with Iraq. At first it looked like this war would start last October, then November. But it hasn't started yet, and they keep pushing it back. Now the oil hungry White House is looking at February even though there is still no proof that Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction. Bush doesn't seem to care.

But he does care. The war hasn't started yet. We can thank the anti-war movement for this delay. But we can't stop now. The corporate media is no longer completely ignoring this massive resistance. Eleven days from now, there will be a national convergence on Washington DC to again speak out against this war. Start making your plans now. Ask off work, book a plane ticket, or get your friends together and plan a road trip. You can find all the information you need here, including how you can get involved, how you can find a ride to the protest, and more. Tell all your friends about it and spread the word. On January 18th, we can make a huge statement against this unneeded and unjustified war. Let's keep the pressure on George, Dick, and Karl. The longer we can delay this war, the less support it will have. We can win, but we have to speak up and get out there.

god
Kevin

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa...I know I am interested. Doubt the anti-war sentiment is what held Bush back, more likely our forces weren't in place. No matter because we still need to speak up....it's not too late to try to stop it however futile our efforts may seem.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  12:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kevin I got on his site but didn't see this. What part was it on?Maybe I will just look up things on other sites and see if anyone else is talking about it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  12:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Try this PJK:

http://www.internationalanswer.org/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  12:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here are some more for info PJK:

http://www.internationalanswer.org/news/update/011803dc.html

http://www.nowarblog.org/archives/000144.html

http://www.sbcoalition.net/action3.shtml

http://www.ydr.com/story/local/5197/

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU ON THE WEST COAST, Don't feel left out, here is info on a simultaneous March on the west coast for Jan 18th.

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/

West Coast Anti-War Mass March

http://www.iacenter.org/iraq_j18sf-call.htm

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS FLUFFY!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  01:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Pam.. I think he updates his news section daily, but I also think there is a scroll bar somewhere where you can scroll through the past dates. It's a good site to bookmark and read daily to see what cause we can do something about each day, even if it something as small as sending an email in support.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  03:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
here ya go Pam, and anyone else who wants to look!

http://www.michaelmoore.com/homeland/index.php

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2003 :  10:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin, Fluffy already filled me in on these but I appreciate it just the same. I feel like I am coming down with something, my throat is sore and my nose and head are congested. So many people at work have been sick and it's no wonder, working with kids who sneeze without covering their nose or cough/sneeze in their hands then want to borrow a pencil! I have to go out of town tomorrow so I can't even rest and take care of myself. Maybe I will luck out and if I take Nyquil tonight I will be fine. Anyway, if I am well and if the weather is fine I am still going to try to go. It is really important for people to show up. (We are supposed to get snow, but you know how those things go. I don't even know why they bother to make predictions about the weather 5 days ahead of time!)

I am really worried about this whole Iraq situation and the threats North Korea is posing. I don't think Bush's war efforts will be stopped but until it happens there is always hope!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  3:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/01/11/anti.war.rally/index.html

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  9:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, thanks for the site.....very interesting. I am so glad to hear the rally in LA went well and was so peaceful. I just hope people take notice! Just got back from being out town today but I am going to take some TIMe to explore the sites a little more before I head for bed. Just wanted you to know the info. is greatly appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great links! Pam hope your feeling better and didn't get sick!
Anyone going to this rally. A few of my friends are attending one
in Cali. San Fran I think. I heard some startling statistics this morning about how European countries view our war cries.
84% Germans oppose war in Iraq
72% Enlish " "
78% French " "
there were a few others with similar numbers that I can't remember.
Pretty interesting.
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't end up going because I was sick this week and still not feeling great yesterday. It sounds like it was very successful and people have to start to take notice that many Americans are outraged by the thought of a war that is based on theory only.

I am going to continue to send letters and emails to my congressmen and senators because they are the ones who can make a difference in the policy. Bush would think twice at least if there was waning support in the House and Senate.

I got an email from a friend yesterday about world wide peace efforts and petitions being sent to the United Nations. If the US goes to war against Iraq we will not have the worldwide support we had in the Gulf War.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  12:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My brother heard on some government channel that the gov. is calling the war protesters " Unpatriotic!" Now, I think caring about what your country is doing, as in killing people because we think they have weapons, adn then trying to stop it...is more patriotic than trying to kill people off. And, if we think this country, which doesn't really like us much in the first place, has these weapons, why are we attacking them? Isn't that a little bit dangerous? " Oh, let's go attack these people that hate us and mayy have weapons which an destroy hte entire world!" And they are scared Iraq is going to use these? Well, I don't think attacking them is going to make them like us. It'll just piss them off, and make them want to attack us more. God I hate the world...Mars, any vacancy?

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  11:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jay, I think my husband probably agrees with your governor. We had a kind of "heated" debate over the weekend. He is a die hard Bush fan, and I tried to get him to read "War on Iraq" What Team Bush Doesn't want you to know" and he refused and said a bunch of things, then I said a few choice words and well let's just say I finally gave up because I was not going to change his mind....or open it.

On a brighter note, I was in another classroom today at school and saw another poster that said:

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein

I just love those classroom posters! There is so much wisdom on the walls but I wonder how many people take the time to read them???

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  6:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Talk about taking the anti-war movement to the next level:

LONDON (Jan. 25) - Waving goodbye to families and denouncing "imperialist" warmongering, the first convoy of Western volunteers set out from London on double-decker buses on Saturday to act as "human shields" against any attack on Iraq.

About 50 volunteers, ranging from a 19-year-old factory worker to a 60-year-old former diplomat, formed the first in a series of convoys organisers say will take hundreds of anti-war activists to Iraq.

Dismissed by critics as naively playing into Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's hands, the volunteers plan to fan out to heavily populated areas of Baghdad and other parts of the country as a deterrent to Western bombing.

"Our strategy is potentially dangerous but that is the risk we must take in standing beside our brothers and sisters in Iraq," said former U.S. marine Ken Nichols, whose Human Shield Action Iraq group is coordinating the London departures.

"We have been inundated by volunteers. This is just the first wave. I am calling for 10,000 to get down there and stop this war," he told Reuters.

Saturday's convoy -- like others being planned for early February -- will travel across Europe, picking up more people on the way, loading provisions and stopping to promote their cause.

Nichols' group is one of several around the world whose aim is to mobilise peace activists as human shields in Iraq and show solidarity with Iraqi people in the face of a possible U.S.-led war against Saddam.

FORMER HOSTAGES

The campaign has upset some among the thousands of Westerners detained by Saddam to act as shields against attacks after his 1990 invasion of Kuwait and during the 1991 Gulf War.

They feel the volunteers do not appreciate the seriousness of what they are doing and are unaware of their past suffering.

"The majority went through hell on wheels," said Steve Brookes, who ran a support group for British victims. "Of the 1,800 or so British hostages, most suffered from some form of post-traumatic stress."

Volunteers from Nichols' group, mainly from Western nations but including some from Turkey and China, insist they are not going to support Saddam but to try to prevent the death of innocent people.

"When we arrive, we will work out where the bombing is most likely to be, where there would be most casualties, and we will go there. Our purpose is to protect civilians," 32-year-old lecturer Uzma Bashir, from Yorkshire in northern England, told Reuters.

Many have had trouble convincing their families of the importance of their mission.

"Nine out of 10 of the people going as human shields are more scared of what their mothers say than the bombs in Iraq," said Bashir, who plans to join a second convoy from London.

In the Muslim world, the main rallying point for would-be human shields is in Jordan. There, a campaign led by leftist parties and civic bodies is seeking 100,000 volunteers.

Baghdad has said it will receive the volunteers with open arms and help them decide where to place themselves.

Washington and London are trying to garner international support for possible military strikes over Saddam's alleged programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction.

01/25/03 08:38 ET

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000