How much of....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  4:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How much of Dave Matthews style do you think originated form playing with Tim. I personally think a lot of it developed from Tim. For instance don't you think that the instrumental intro from one sweet world sounds Timmaaaaaaaaaay. Also, what about all of those stride octaves (i.e. Tripping Billies, Too Much, Grey Street)-Timmmmmmay.
Just my 2 Cents.
Peace,
BJ

Boom Boom Doom

MC
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  6:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had this discussion with some of my friends many a times. I have no idea the truth behind it, but some of my friends think that Satellite sounds like a Tim song, maybe they wrote it together or maybe Tim showed it to Dave. I just think its great that two wonderful musicians are friends and obvioulsy have a musical connection together. I think there is no doubt that they compliment each other perfectly and they have influenced one another (at least Tim has influenced Dave).

A good way to physically see the realationship between the two is to look at their tabliture, see how Dave's style models Tims.

MC

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing that stands out to me about both their writing is that they both have a talent for keeping those low notes going. There's always a lower line to compliment the chord changes. For those chords like on Tripping Billies, Too Much, etc..(not octaves, but thirds, if you're talking about low E and g strings)... I haven't really noticed that in Tim's songs. They definitely compliment each other, but I don't really notice much else that they have in common when it comes to their own individual styles. They have a similar taste in guitars... Martins, cuz "they rock!". Even though Dave uses a Taylor mostly now. That's a pretty sweet guitar too though. They can both pull off some uncommon time signatures really well. Just for a couple of examples... Dreaming Tree is in 7/8. Do It Yourself is in 6/4(I suppose you could write it in 3/4, but it doesn't feel right to me to think of it like that) and then 5/4 in that walkdown part. I think Dave is a great rhythm player, and Tim, well, is great all around, but I don't think they're all that alike. I'm sure they've influenced each other though.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

James M.
Chatterbox

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  10:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Send James M. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey...i remember seeing this one pic of tim (looked pretty old)...and he was doing the tripping billies intro chord...(that one that stretches across like 5 frets)....so i think tim might have shown him that chord..and if u play trippin' the verse is played around that chord....so i think its safe to say tim plays a big part in daves musical ability
james

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  10:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that Tim might not have influenced it and that Tim hasn't been an influence on Dave just overall. Just that I don't notice those particular chords in any of Tim's solo music(if someone knows a song that does have those chords, please put me in my place, I very well could be wrong). I'm just saying that when you listen to each of them play guitar, they sound quite different.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  12:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A word on the Satellite verse part, I read somewhere that it originated from a ugly sounding finger excercise Dave used to do, then he changed whre his fingers were landing, and viola, there was Satellite....but....Tim could have showed Dave the finger exercise........

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  12:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
compare After The Dust Settles to Satellite, its similar

but other than that, i only see their two styles as complimentary, not exactly similiar or deriving from a common point. Tims style and Daves style are two totaly seperate entities (no pun), but they fit well together.

Although i must say that they both have a great sence for percussion and bass notes. Daves influence was from piano, and tim learned from a bass at first, but they both have a great low end and a sweet percusive influence to their styles.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  03:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I heard the same thing, Adam.

It does seem to be a good finger exercise. Good stretches, for those of us who have only played for a few months.

-Jason-

Philosophy is a study that lets up be unhappy more intelligently.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am sure Tim was a big influence on Dave in the beginning as they started jamming together. Dave was a bartender at Millers in C-ville and watched Tim play every monday nite and they started jamming in Daves basement. As far as Tim being an uncredited song writer on any of Daves songs is totally wrong. I assure if Tim had written any of those he would have his name on it. From the way Tim tells it, Dave comes up with a part and then the band grooves on it until they have a song, then they go in the studio and have Tim come in and play parts on the songs. Tim comes up with parts but he would hardly consider it writing the songs. He comes up with parts that compliment the songs. I am sure his influence is very prevalent in some and less in others. Even Tim credits Dave with an amazing songwriting ability. What Tim does is compliment that. It really is a Dave project and Tim is the hired gun. Hope this clears it up for ya.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Baboonboy
Chatterbox

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  12:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Baboonboy's Homepage  Send Baboonboy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah..the band comes up with the basic song then brings in Tim "The Ringer" Reynolds to lay it down.. ;) "Dave can't play this shit well enough...lets call Timmy" :) - Leroi Moore '95

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000