A good affordable acoustic?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  12:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a good affordable acoustic. Electronics would be nice but not necesary. I'm just wondering what you guys think is a good acoustic guitar at an affordable price. Price range:$500 to $800

Andy

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  12:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Andy,

Make no mistake about it my good man. You definitely want to get a Martin DM. I walked out with the Martin hardcase for $650. It has much better tone than the taylor 310 and even the 314. This is the way to go. If you have any more questions drop me a line.
Regards,
BJ

Boom Boom Doom
Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but Martins I heard martins are hard to play. Is the DM?

Go to Top of Page

ujohnb01
Chatterbox

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  4:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ujohnb01 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Andy:
It plays like "butta". It really is quite easy to play. Also, when you are shopping for one take a look at the action on it before you take it home. If it is too high have them adjust it for you, this will make it easier to play.
Peace,
BJ

Boom Boom Doom
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  6:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can get a Martin to play as "easy" as you like... it's all in the action. But action be as it is... I have NEVER played a Martin that feels as good as the guitars that Taylor puts out. Sound is all preference... the Martins are boomier and bassier... Taylors have an unmatched clarity and brightness. The 300 series Taylors are great entry level guitars, my personal preference goes towards that... I would buy that in a heartbeat over a DM, but that's just me. I would personally say save your money for a little while until you have a couple hundred dollars more and buy a middle series Taylor. You don't have to shell out 3 grand for an 800 series with a $500 pickup system in it, but Taylor makes great guitars through their whole lineup. But if it's got to be now... I'd check out the Martin DM and the Taylor 310... It'll come down to your personal preference then.
-J

Go to Top of Page

MC
Try A Little Harder

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  6:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out www.music123.com, they have great prices. I got my Martin D-1 from there for $6something, with a Martin hardshell case. Martin or Taylor is the only way to go.

MC

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  7:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tone is a personal prefrence, don't let people tell you what sounds better or worse. You should shop long and listen closely and try to learn something in the process. Martin DMs are made with laminated backs and sides. Taylor 310s and above are solid woods. I doubt you could tell a hugh difference tone wise until your ear tunes into to the subtle qualities/differences. However, once your ear can tell the difference, it is all too obvious. Taylor's latest innovation is a bolt on neck joint, this feature was previously only available on really high end guitars costing 5k and up. The best value that I have come across was a solid wood larravee a buddy bought off ebay for 400.00 with case, it felt and sounded wonderful. Action greatly affects tone, especiallly on a solid wood guitar. Low action made my taylor310 sound thin and bright but played as easy as my primo electric. Too high made it have too much mids but was alot louder and phat. I finally settled on slightly higher action than factory, gave it a perfectly balanced sound, not too bright like some taylors. Too bright though is OK if you play finger style. Laminated guitar will not age as sweetly as solid wood. If you want to have fun playing guitar, buy a one that feels and sounds good to you. Shop till you drop. Visit manufacture's web sites, taylor and G&L, for example are good ones to learn about history and innovations. PEACE

Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2001 :  11:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think have a good ear for tone. My brother has a Taylor 314K which sounds incredable. And it feels really good too. But that Taylor is the best taylor I've heard. And i've heard every taylor out except the Presentation Series. I'm not into taylors that much though. They're good it's just i don't like as much as a Martin. I've played a D-28, D-35, D-15, and many others. They're all solid woods but the D-15 sounded like crap. It sounded worse than my Washburn D-10(which is all laminated wood.) Martin would be nice but I'm sceptical of them too. You have to find the right guitar of theres to get that Martin sound in my experience. And all these guys talking about Chets are so good. How can it pick up the real tone of the guitar when there is no way for the sound to get in the guitar and resonate? All it looks like its doing is picking up the tone of the strings. I'm very cautious about the sound of my acoustic. My electric not so much because you can get any sound out of it with different pickups and strings. I don't know I maybe wrong about all of this. My dream is to get a Martin but I want my first Martin to be a D-28 or something like that. I'm really looking at Gibsons but they are so high priced!
Anyways I really would like help with you guys' opinions. So keep them coming!

Andy

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2001 :  9:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
andy86, your preference towards the hd28 seems to indicate a desire for a dreadknot. I'm partial to dreads' phat, open, and boomy tones too. Tim, and his Yo Yo Ma like genius, certainly gets the most out of his. If I were a soloist, i would have gone d-35 for that extra bass too. My 310 serves my vocal needs and now I can play and sing 2-3 hours longer, loving the pain. Acoustically, its' tone is balanced, loud, and clear. I prefered this tone and sensitivity to the slightly colder, thinner, boxier tone of the 314 and smaller bodied non-dreads and cut-aways. The elexier strings are wonderful too. HarmonyCentral reviews of LR Baggs dual source swayed me away from piezo technology, which I have in my 56' gibson j-185. The ribbon transducer technology of LR Baggs combined with the internal mic and non-destructive internal preamp/blender provides me a very natural sound. GOOD LUCK

Go to Top of Page

Andy86
Is Anybody Here?

30 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2001 :  5:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer smaller body guitars like and OM or triple O. I like dreads Ihave one now but I like smaller bodies because I'm a small guy. And I don't strum that hard so when I play dread I seem to not be able to get all the sound out you know? I'm more into playablility than sound but sound is a important part. Like Chet Atkins guitars don't have an "acoustic" sound. But they're a dream to play. But still I wouldn't get one. I like guitars that have a sound hole and normal depth. But anyways i'm just seeing what you guys thought since you guys are into the same stuff I am in a way.

Andy

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  09:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well which acoustic did you get?

EVERGREEN 143
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly