Tremolo Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always feeling I'm doing this wrong, and watching Tim do it makes me feel wronger... I always put my hand down on the E A and D string and kind of rest it there while I tremolo on the top three strings. I can't tremolo if my hand is hanging in the air, and I can't do it resting my pinky by the soundhole either. What I do gets the right sound, but I know this method needs to be improved, mostly because I can't tremolo the top three strings. Any tips, or descriptions of how you do it might be helpful...

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  5:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know what youre saying, I still have trouble with that sometimes as well. I do it on the top three strings by resting my pinky below the soundhole. Which takes some practice and forming of technique in itself.

Getting better at it, in my opinion, simply comes from practice. I can do it well probably about 90% of the time, when I must, and I don't do it often with the style that I play.

Practice, practice, practice.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Street-Samurai
Is Anybody Here?

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  9:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like resting my hand on the bridge behind the string that I'm picking. I tend to stay away from resting my pinking because it inhibits moving from one string to another. I also angle the pick a little so it slides of the string easier. If anyone has any tips on moving from string to string I would like to know because I can't do it very smoothly.
Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  05:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
get a tremolo pedal to do the work for you :)

sometimes i use 2 tremolo pedals for more atmospheric music the band 'my bloody valentine' did this all the time its a cool trick

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  05:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ummmmm.......what's tremolo picking?

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  1:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to go back and just start picking with my pinky planted below the soundhole and pull out the old metronome. I figure I got a month of freetime to work on it during winter break, so should be able to re-learn how to pick and also increase my speed as well. Just can pick that fast with my hand hanging in the air...
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed on some videos TR puts his hand on the bridge, but in others when he does some fast picking like in Stream, he just rests his pink below the soundhole. Both ways appeared equally effective for him... Of course everything does.
Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbdmb

Ummmmm.......what's tremolo picking?

picking as fast as you can, just in case you would want it, here is an article that explains(if you already know how but just didn't know the term, then tell me and i will erase this)(just trying to help:)

Tremolo Picking

The use of tremolo picking is an easy way to play fast phrases, with a minimal amount of effort. With tremolo picking you are playing the same note 3, 4 or more times in rapid succession.

For tremolo picking, the way you hold the pick and the movement that you make differs from normal picking.

When picking normally, the motion is mostly coming from your wrist.

When tremolo picking, bend your thumb a little, and make the motion come more from your arm.

The best way to think about the motion of tremolo picking is this.

Use the very tip of your pick. Don't let more that a millimeter of the pick drop below the surface of the strings.
Angle the pick a little by bending your thumb slightly. This will help the pick glide across the strings more smoothly.
The side of your thumb will gently brush against the surface of the other strings, while the pick drops just below the surface.
Tremolo picking is easiest if you play all of the notes in a phrase on the same string. That way you don't have to lift your right hand up to make the transition to another string. Of course you shouldn't always do what's easiest, but that is a good place to start.

When notated, tremolo picking uses 3 diagonal slash marks through the stem of the note.

Just repeat the note as fast as you can for the indicated duration. There is not a set number of times that you will pick the note.

Learn to play scales on a single strings, not only for use when playing tremolo picking licks, but for improvising in general.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  5:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. No need to erase it.....it can be used for reference later on.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000