Name your favorite jazz tune
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  01:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think mine would have to be "Take Five"

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood,
In a modest town where honest people dwell. -dredg

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  01:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I second that... it just sounds so smooth. The rest of that album is great too. Gotta love blue ronda ala turk.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  02:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is a really tough one for me. Take Five did not immediately come to mind of me as I read the thread title, but after opening it I would have to agree, that is a great one. I must admit the first one that popped into my head was "Rocks, Pebbles, Sand" by Stanley Clarke from the album of the same name. I would also want to include Billy Cobhams Glass Managerie album entitled "Observations and.." and most definitely John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia, & Al DiMeola's albums "Live in San Francisco" and "Passion Grace & Fire". The Stanley Clarke album I mentioned above I discoved after seeing Stanley perform with Ron Wood's New Barbarians LIVE. I remember listening to that album in my heavy metal daze thinking this is the best melding of heavy metal and jazz. Stanley also had one of my fave drummers at that point in my life, Simon Phillips. He was very young at the TIMe I discovered him and his talent was beyond belief for his age. He is still amazing to this day. Some of the musicians on the board may be familiar with him. For those who aren't, here is a brief bio:

An innovative, aggressive drummer, Simon Phillips embarked on his musical career at an early age. He showed affinity for the drums quickly -- beginning with a toy kit at age four, moving on to a snare and cymbal set at six; by age 12, Phillips was performing and recording with his father's Dixieland jazz band.
After his father's death, Phillips left the jazz band and began exploring other musical styles, including rock and musicals. A gig as a drummer for a production of +Jesus Christ Superstar led to session work, drumming on the demos of various cast members. As his connections in the music scene grew, so did his session credits: From the '70s onward, Phillips performed with prominent rock and jazz artists like Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Gil Evans, Stanley Clark, Frank Zappa, and Peter Gabriel.
By 1997, however, Phillips was ready to lead his own band. Joined by a cast of seasoned rock and jazz musicians including guitarists Ray Russell and Andy Timmons, saxophonist Wendell Brooks, bassist Anthony Jackson, and percussionist Peter Michael Escovedo, Phillips began touring as a bandleader. This lineup also recorded Phillips' 1997 album Another Lifetime. Three years later, Vantage Point was released. ~ Heather Phares, All Music Guide

I would have to say my fave jazz album of all time is still, without a doubt, Miles Davis "Tribute to Jack Johnson" with John McLaughlin on guitar. I originally got it on album and it is one long piece of music. FAN"FUCKIN"TASTIC !!!! Check it out!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im going to have to check out some stuff featuring simmon phillips now. thanks for the tip fluffy.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since I know so little about Jazz and I just watched Moscow on the Hudson again yesterday, I'm going to vote for "Take the A Train."

Weak, I know, but I felt like posting.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd say Birdland.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  4:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few classic favorites weather report's "havana" Miles Davis's "So What" and Coltrane's "Giant Steps". these are probably my top few fav. jazz tunes that i have...plus i've heard really good versions of them played by great musicians(i.e. wooten, jerry garica, scott henderson, me(j.k))

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The point of jazz is not so much the structure part of the song, so I'd say I like a person or their style more than another's. Some improvs are a lot better than others, so that's the biggest definition. In the end, I'd just say that I like jazz, since it's such a big ambiguous style of very good music.
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  7:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JTR

The point of jazz is not so much the structure part of the song, so I'd say I like a person or their style more than another's. Some improvs are a lot better than others, so that's the biggest definition. In the end, I'd just say that I like jazz, since it's such a big ambiguous style of very good music.

Very good point. Especially if you're talking about standards, which most of the songs mentioned have been so far. Giant Steps can be taken out of that category as far as being "the same" since it's harmonic structure is such that it is just to the brink of where you can take a western harmonic structure. Coletrane was a genius.

Robots are the enemy? Hmm...
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  02:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
'bubblehouse' -medeski martin & wood

take it easy. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/ccr152
Go to Top of Page

drummerboy82
Chatterbox

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  02:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Send drummerboy82 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JTR

very true.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  08:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I wanna hear Caravan with a drum solo"

Anyone know who said that?

One of my very favorite jazz songs is Vital Transformation by
the Mahavishnu Orchestra. But its really hard to pick. I love
all jazz.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  10:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Zappa said I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  12:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like "Birds of Fire" by the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Evergreen - ever listen to Don Ellis by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've listened to weather report and return to forever, but i still haven't heard Mahavishnu Orchestra yet! i've heard Shakti, and that album with john Mclaugclin, Paco De Luca and Al DiMeola, but not that group yet. some day i'll get around to it!

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Evergreen - ever listen to Don Ellis by any chance?

I have and I really like his stuff. I think Live in 32/34 Time is my favorite. Electric Bath is really good also. I haven't listened to him in a while so thanx for reminding me about him

VWF, if you haven't heard MO, you simply have to get some. From what you've said about other music you like I'm SURE you'd love it. Alot of the arrangements and TIMe sigs remind me of The Flecktones or Phish. Vital Transformation is something like a 9/8 TIMe sig. At least thats what my guitar teacher says. Quite frankly, I can't count it out because its so fast. They are playing so fast its mind bending. It's also a good song to get a feel for how amazing Billy Cobham is on the drumz.
Go to Top of Page

SpaceMonkey
Chatterbox

315 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  10:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Send SpaceMonkey an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am definitely not a knowledgable jazz person and my collection of jazz cds is pretty small (like 3 cds), but I love "So What" and "Flamenco Sketches." For some reason Kind of Blue is owned by everyone. Sidenote: I saw the Flecktones play at the Beacon in 2000 and they opened with "So What" and it was incredible. I also love Bob James, because his music is real funky and was heavily sampled by a lot of good hip-hop artists in the late 80s-early 90s (the golden age of hip-hop). Check out "I" and "II" for a quick overview.

I have Shakti and used to listen to it on my way to work. I would be driving through *INSANE* NJ morning commuter traffic with this crazy Indian music playing and for some reason it got me real hyped....the job sucked though so I quit and for some reason I haven't played that CD since.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  10:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shakti and kind of blue both are awesome cds! I just shoveled some snow the other day to some kind of blue! pretty cool(or cold) stuff there.

Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  10:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Evergreen - good to find another Don Ellis fan. I had a hunch you'd heard of him since you've heard of Mahavishnu Orchestra and you said you like all jazz.

To anyone else who wants to expand their jazz listening and like experimental music like TIM's electric stuff, I'd recommend Don Ellis. Honestly, I find a lot of similarities in his playing and TIM's playing. Don did with jazz what TIM does with rock - push the boundaries to the limit. Also, like Tim, Don used a ring modulator to get some incredible sounds, only with a trumpet instead of guitar. (I know this sounds incredible, but it's true) He also used many delay and octave effects on his trumpet, and this was back in the late 60's / early 70's when these things were in their early stages. They were rarely known in rock, let alone jazz! If you can find it, check out his live version of Hey Jude. The first 3 minutes are nothing but space-age alien sounds a la Chaos View. Then he comes in with the melody and you can hear the crowd go "whaaaa?" Amazing stuff.
Unfortunately he died in 1978, from heart disease. My favorite album is Live at Fillmore, but unfortunately it's not available on CD yet. My dad has the LP. Sorry I'm rambling, I could write a book about his music and how it changed my musical tastes.

Fluffy - do you know if TIM's heard of Don? If he hasn't, I'm SURE he'd love his stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  3:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, I bet TR would love Don Ellis. I'm betting he's heard him before.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  7:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't Miles Davis also use a wah pedal on his trumpet in the 70's fusion movement?

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  6:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, even though I'm not a fan at all of the big band era, Benny Goodman's Sing Sing Sing is a hell of a song, and probably some of the best drumming EVER!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  10:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Gene Krupa the drummer then?

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  11:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Didn't Miles Davis also use a wah pedal on his trumpet in the 70's fusion movement?

I don't know but I was just listening to Bitches Brew the other night.
One form Miles from the early 70's. Its so awesome and definitely spacey space, so I'm wondering if he uses it on that one.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  2:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wasn't Gene Krupa the drummer then?

Indeed he was!

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  11:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i read a biography on miles davis, and i think the guy mentioned he was trying out guitar effects on his trumpet in the 70s...sadly miles davis also came out with a hip-hop album at the end of his career.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  4:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
MD was always stretching the boundries, and whether you like what he came up with all the TIMe, it is worthy of recognition for taking jazz to places never gone before, much like TR does with music. There was a great jazz/hard rock band from Seattle called Sad/Happy. Their sax player Skerik played his sax thru a variety of guitar pedals sounding like Jimi Hendrix(on guitar)most of the TIMe. It was a line up of bass, drums and sax, but you would swear there was a guitar in there. More about Sad/Happy:

Q: Just exactly what the !@$* is SADHAPPY?

A: SADHAPPY is a band, or is it? SADHAPPY, as a constant, includes bass monster Paul Hinklin and drum destroyer/recording whoremonger Evan Schiller. The current incarnation of SADHAPPY proudly includes Windham Hill/ High Street Records HyperBass player Michael Manring (voted Bassist of the Year, Bass Player Magazine, 1994) on a double bass assault that will have to be felt to be believed!

SADHAPPY, with its backbone being an insane rhythm section, is an ever-mutating, progressive musical brotherhood, quite askew from most people's basic concept of a "band". Because it is a goal of SADHAPPY to keep things fresh and evolving, collaboration with other musicians is a constant. For instance, the last cut on Sadhappy Live/Before We Were Dead contains guitar wiz Bill Frisell.

SADHAPPY started in July of 1989 in Seattle as a "power duo". Paul and Evan played close to fifty shows and released two cassettes with the minimal setup of bass and drums. Then in 1992 tenor sax mutation SKERIK (Critters Buggin' on Loosegroove Records) joined SADHAPPY and the trio released three widely acclaimed c.d.'s, Depth Charge,Sadhappy Live / Before We Were Dead and The Good,the Bad and the Scary. Sales for SADHAPPY releases have numbered over 12,000 as of January, '97.

The upcoming SADHAPPY compact disc featuring Michael Manring should be out by early spring of 1997. A tour of Europe and selected shows in America will follow.

Creating lawless music is the bottom line of SADHAPPY. Check out SADHAPPY on tour soon, blowing up P.A. systems and subwoofers in theaters near you. Thanks for your time.

Check out their website, I have all but 1 of their CD releases. I am missing the newest one from '98.

http://members.aol.com/periscoper/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  8:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a kickass band! Skerik is also the sax player for les claypool's flying frog brigade, and he has an awesomely unique sound! i'm listening to them currently. i've only heard of michael manring, and his weird techinques and musical ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  04:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Skerik also plays in Tuatara, an REM side-project and also Critters Buggin'. CB is REALLY worth checking out. Tuatara was always great live but their CD's never really did it for me.

CRITTERS BUGGIN

“Critters Buggin are an eclectic /improvisational /experimental /tribal/electronic/ theatrical/ funk machine.”
- Joe Smith – Jambase.com

“…freeform jazz often reminiscent of the stylings of Pharaoh Sanders or SunRa. The variety of sonic textures were so varied that it's safe to say thatCritters Buggin extends itself beyond the repertoire of 99% of the otherbands playing live today.”
- Lee Bouyea

Skerik, Mike Dillon, Brad Houser & Matt Chamberlain

– Biography

Welcome to Ballard, Washington. The sky is gray. Barnacle encrustedsailors repair boats aching to return to sea. The Ballard bridge raises itsmechanical torso, allowing the high masted ship to pass. Passive -aggressive Seattle drivers speed up and down 15th avenue.Meanwhile, in the basement of a purple house at the corner of 15th and72nd, three mutant musicians from outer space are working it out. Talk isminimal. They sweat and groan as the musical influences melt together.They are unaware that their nervous systems are being tampered with by analien civilization whose ascended master came from Saturn.Improvisational sci-fi punk rock jazz. The kick stand hog shags BillGates and mounts blasta under redeye sheets of Burundi. Get out the shearscause the Critters are coming. Along the way they have toured the westcoast, flown to Poland and Japan, and scrambled the D.N.A. of apercussionist or two.

The Musicians:

Matt Chamberlain - Drums: Space boy; The helmet. Matt has become one of themost in demand drummers in the US. He has played with Tori Amos, PeterGabriel, Macy Gray, Critters Buggin, Chris Isaak, Aaron Neville, SamPhillips, Pigeonhed, Willy Porter, David Torn, and Weapon of Choice, amongothers.

Brad Houser – Bass: Brad Plays with Hairyapes B.M.X., Kultur Shock, CrittersBuggin and freelances around Austin, TX.

Skerik – Saxophonist: Besides Critters Buggin, Skerik is also an ongoingmember of the bands Garage a Trois (w/ Stanton Moore & Charlie Hunter),Ponga (w/ Wayne Horvitz, Bobby Previte & Dave Palmer), Mike Clark'sPrescription Renewal (w/ original Headhunters drummer Mike Clark, CharlieHunter, Robert Walter & DJ Logic), and has played previously in the bandsSadHappy and Tuatara.

Mike Dillon - Percussion and Vibraphone: Current projects include theMalachy Papers, Brave Combo, Garage a Trois, Critters Buggin and Hairy ApesB.M.X. He will tour with Karl Denson's Tiny Universe in July.

http://www.crittersbuggin.com/youneedtobuynow.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

rhymsesthecat
Try A Little Harder

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Send rhymsesthecat an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bradford Marsalis: Moose the Mooche
great tune
check it out

rhymsesthecat
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  3:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hummmmm....I definitely will. Don't have any of Bradford's music. I do have tickets to see Ellis, Bradford,Wynton,Jason,and Delfeayo at the Kimmel Center in Philly on March 2....really can't wait!

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  3:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lucky! i wish i could see some big name jazz guys, then again i've seen victor wooten and the flecktones so i've already been made happified!

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  07:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its BraNford Marsalis...HeeHee. He is one of my absolute favorite musicians of all TIMe.
I love the movie Bring on the Night because of his comments
throughout. He talks about being a musician as opposed to a rock star and other stuff that is somewhat opposite of Stings viewpoints. He's humble and brilliant. That movie is also great because they show alot of him playing various saxaphones. You really get the idea of how difficult it is to play that instrument.
I always wanted to see him play with the Dead. I have this bootleg show from 1989 with Branford and the Dead and its still one of my favorites. Eyes of the World, Darkstar, and the drumz/space is so great when he sits in. The Blue Turtles were one of my favorite bands. I wish they would have done more recording. I got to see them once in Montreal. That was my first introduction to Branford and Omar Hakim. I will say one thing about Sting, he knows how to collaborate fantastic musicians. Talk about an all-star lineup.

I'm going to see Victor and The Flecktones in March. Its going to be in a small cozy place with the most incredible acoustics. I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  1:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Dead Live cd with Branford playing on eyes of the world, one of my fav. dead songs! What a great tune with that sax player!! Lucky, going to see Wooten and all!

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  6:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooops! Oh hey, Branford-Bradford it's all the same, no? Oh....Sorry!hehehe (You can tell I was never into his music.....I was captivated by his brother Wynton.)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  8:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Branford more, but i think Wynton is a better adverstiser, and a better music historian(have you seen the pbs jazz tapes! damn!)

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2003 :  9:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Branford Marsalis...the same guy that does the sax solo on "Flying Saucer Dudes' on "Live Art?" right? Oh man, that's some good sax work.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah i forgot he did that. I'm reading a book on jazz improvisation and it had a quote from wynton about his brother branford "You better watch out, he's 3 years old and he can already sing miles davis solos." Damn, at that early of an age!!!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  10:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  10:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow....now I really can't wait to see them all at the Kimmel Center in March! I've got great orchestra box seats for that one.
Thanks guys for sharing all this info. I sure do appreciate it!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  02:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I knew there was a good Jazz thread on here somewhere...

I recently picked up the "Deluxe Version" of Coletrane's Love Supreme. The first track "Acknowledgement" is absolutely one of my favorite Jazz tunes. The cool thing about the deluxe version (aside from the cool packaging and remastered sound) is the addition of the 2nd disc, which is a previously unreleased live performance of the original album, performed as one continuous piece of music (yet still broken down into tracks). Apparently, this recording is one of the few times that the peice was even played live like this. It's well worth the 30 bucks.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  1:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of coltranes meditations stuff.

My favorite jazz is basically anything by miles' second great quintet, Ornette Coleman, Dave Hollands Quintet is pretty cool too.

For big band stuff there is just no beating the Maria Schneider orchestra. She's like an extension of Gil Evans. Then Mingus' big band stuff is really hip to and composition wise I rank him with Ellington.

Favorite tune though is probably Peace by Horace Silver. It's one of the few songs that I literally cried the first time I heard it. Powerful stuff.

Go to Top of Page

thomasode
Yak Addict

565 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  10:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Send thomasode an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is either Impressions or a song called Sidewinder...I have never heared sidewinder other than my jazz band playing it, but its a good one
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  10:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Lee Morgan. Good stuff that whole sidewinder album is good. It did pretty good sales wise too I think.

Go to Top of Page

La Mer De Noms
Try A Little Harder

66 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  11:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send La Mer De Noms an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wow...this post is oooooold. back when i used that name. crazy.

Well that is that and this is this.
Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed,when the ocean met the sky.
You missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.
When the earth folded on itself.
And said "Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000