Tablature / Guitar Setup
 String Types
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadow
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  11:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Shadow an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was just reading a post that had a few messages on the types of strings people use. The discussion brought up the point of being careful as to what String Gauge you use. I have a Martin D-15, and it came equipped with the Martin SP Light Bronze strings. After a couple of string changes, I tried using a set of Medium Gauges. I remember after using them for a little while, the G String just broke off when I was De-Tuning it! And I don't know if it's a coincidence, but my B-String always seems to have problems staying in perfect tune. Like, whether I'm playing Crash (you know, holding the b-string down to an e) or using a capo. It will always sound sharper. I am correctly tuning it. Either I use a tuner, or my ear (and I have a very good ear). So, possibly I damaged my guitar with those Medium Gauge strings.

So my MAIN question is... , is there anyway I can fix this? Because I never sent out my warranty form to Martin. (yeah... I'm an idiot) I mean, I still have all the papers, but I think it's a little overdue. My guitar will be 2 years old in January. A possibly quick answer to this might be... "I'm crazy and my B-string ALWAYS sucked. That's just the way a Martin D-15 is." So any of you smart guitar players out there... please help. This is my first post, and I was just reading some posts on Howie Day. So from what I was reading, I'm assuming there's some pretty skilled guitar players here. Yes, and to not disappoint you, I'm a Tim Reynolds fan too. Ok, please help.

Thanks.

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  02:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Look down the neck of your guitar and make sure it is totally straight, especially where the neck meets the body which is where you tend to see a little bowing. It may be as simple as just adjusting the truss rod... if not you may see about getting the neck re-set.

Go to Top of Page

Shadow
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Shadow an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah you're right. It is slightly warped. it almost seems like the neck was pulled a little higher. That brings me to another point I forgot to mention. The farther I get from the neck, the farther the strings are from the fret board. (obviously) But when I got it, I know it was closer because the low E string used to hit the frets it was so close. But now it is a fairly good distance away. Still easily playable, but not as close as it was when I first got it. I know I'm sounding like a retard, but is this fixable? I know you said I can try changing the truss rod or something, but I don't want to fuck that up. I'm bringing it to a Guitar center to get my pickup installed, I guess I should just ask them to look at it, right? Alright, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  11:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Definitely ask them to look at it... I assume that martins have a lifetime warranty so it shouldn't cost you anything to get fixed. Just for the love of god don't tell them that it's because you swapped up to medium guage or that may bite you in the ass. Just say that it's been slowly changing like that for a while. The strings thing could be considered negligence and probably isn't covered under the warranty. If the neck does need to be re-set that could probably get expensive. Also, you can tighten the truss rod yourself... you just use the allen wrench that came with your guitar to either tighten or loosen the neck tension. Just look in your owner's material to make sure which direction you turn to lower the action back down.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  11:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I just read your first post again and realized what you were saying a little more clearly. If you're saying that everything sounds fine when you tune it, but when you press down on the frets of certain strings, things sound off... that could be a sign that your neck is actually twisted slightly from one side to the other. I know you said that you saw a little bowing, but if you look down the neck on both sides, you'll probably see something slightly different on both sides if you look with a really scrutinizing eye. That sucks man... I'm sure you can get it fixed, but they'll probably have to send it back to the factory to get either a new neck or get the current one re-set for sure... which means no Martin for you for about a month. I don't think that adjusting the truss will help here.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That does suck. I use MArtin mediums, but tuned to c# to prevent problems, and I'm just using an Ibanez. It's hard to tell if using Mediums played the biggest role in warping the neck, but that could be the major problem. Do you take the guitar many places? If you do, I've seen Martins that have been litarly twisted, holes put in them, and saddles popped out, mostly because of humidity changes over time. But, I'm probably talking out of my ass since your gutar is 2 years old (almost).

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  10:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A lot of artists change string gauge often, from song to song or album to album, but you must make sure that if you're going to change string gauge, that you check with the manufacturer or the dealership to find out if this will fuck up the guitar. Your guitar may be able to be set-up for heavier strings, but don't just go and change gauge all the time. On that note, I dont think that changing the gauge ONE TIME will royally fuck up your guitar as you seem to have described. Perhaps the warping/bowing of the neck had already been set in motion.

Some manufacturers, like Martin for instance, can be misleading on string recommendations. For my D-16RGT, they recommended their MSP3200s or whatever...which are basically gauge .056 to .013. So I just use a different brand (Daddarrio EXPs) that are of the same gauge.

Also, did the problems with the G and B strings happen right off the bat? Or was it as the strings got older? My EXPs sound great for a long, long time, but after a few weeks, they start going out of tune more, and breaking while tuning DOWN like you mentioned.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Shadow
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  10:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Shadow an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's a really good point that was brought up. I travel with my guitar like 4 times a year (going back and forth from college). I go to college in a much colder area than from where I live at home. I pack the guitar up in a Dodge Caravan in the back. It's all heated the same... or maybe it's a bit hotter near the luggage. Umm, and the dorm rooms up here are definitely different from my room at home. Depending if we have the window open (letting the really cold breeze cool down the room while we sleep) or leave the window closed (trying to stay warm). So either it's really cold in the dorm room or really hot from the heat. I mean, it's in the middle sometimes too, but there is that temperature difference quite often. I always have the guitar inside the case. I don't have a dehumidifier or anything either. So, that could possibly be the problem, but I have no clue how to stop mother nature from hurting my guitar.

Umm, also it is just my B-String that goes out of tune. I just mentioned the G-String because that was the string that broke for some unknown reason. I can also bring up the fact that my low E will never work with a tuner, but I think my guitar was like that since I got it. It sounds fine when I tune to ear because it works with the songs I play with. But it's probably not completely right.

Oh yeah, and to answer the other question. I always change my strings between like every 2 to 4 weeks. No more than that because I know that strings stretch and when they're done stretching they tend to hurt the neck. and I play a lot, so I have to change them that often. Umm, when I do put new strings on it... yeah it sounds great, sounds much better in tune, but the B-String is the hardest to tune still. It goes out of tune REALLY fast. I know strings stretch a lot right away and it's normal for them to detune themselves, but NOT as abnormal as my B-String. and like I said, if I throw a capo on, I have to detune the b-string a little bit because it goes sharp. Or if I'm playing crash, I have to detune it a bit because it goes really sharp. It's just a pain in my ass. I don't want you to judge me on tuning it wrong, because I know I'm not. I have a lot of experience with music and sound and whatever you want me to say. This thing can be PERFECTLY tuned, but it'll still fuck up. k, sorry. I just don't like the fact that my guitar might be seriously fucked up. Anyways, thanks for giving me your opinions. It helps a real lot.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  12:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When you take it in to get the pickups installed also have them check the saddle... it could be that too...

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was gonna say that it could just be a minor saddle problem ( So take your damn saddle to the leather tanner, and have HIM take a gander at it...and take yer damnhorse to the damn blacksmiths to re-shoe it, too!) that's causing the problem. When I got my Ibanez, there was a high fret, and right next to it in the repair room was a HD-28 with the same thing. So, no guiatrs are perfect my friend. Also, it's a very common thing for treble strings to go out of tune after placing a capo. ALL of my guitars go out a little sharp form time to time. One recomendation I have for you, though, is to use mediums, but tune down 1-1 1/2 steps down. You still get that fine sound of Mediums, but without as much danger of the guitar curling up at the shoulders. My Ibanez is pretty cheap, but great nonetheless, and it takes mediums tune down fine. They hardly ever go out of tune for me, and they sound fantastic if you are finger-picking. But, if you are scared of them still, keep up with teh Martin strings cause they are absolutely great.
One more thing...If you travle with your guitar on a long trip, take the stirngs off, or de-tune it so the stirngs are really floppy. Also, pack a few t-shirts around the neck so it doesn't bounce. Make sure not to put them in a way so the neck is right up to the top of the case, but just enough so that the neck is cradled. These will also probably keep some humidity off and keep the neck warmer in the case.

"Hey man...you smell..."
"Oh yeah?"
"yeah...like dinner..."
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  9:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
James Taylor always tunes one half step below standard tuning. Then for songs in standard tuning, he simply puts a capo on the 1st fret. he says this helps with exactly what you're talking about.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Shadow
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  5:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Shadow an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna be going home soon so I can bring it to the Guitar Center. I'll see what they say too. Thanks a lot.

Matt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000