Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 a new day at midnight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  01:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if there are any david gray fans out there, you should probably look forward to his new cd "a new day at midnight." the cd and i havent become best friends as of yet, but what ive heard so far is pretty good. he kinda steps it up a notch on the electronics, but he pulls it off well in my opinion. content is slightly darker than his last album, and he pulls that off well too. the cd doesnt come out in the US until november 5th, but heres a hint: it came out in ireland 10/25, and many irish hipsters are on KaZaa.

take it easy. http://briefcase.yahoo.com/ccr152

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  02:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
David Gray is my favorite musician/singer/songwriter of all time and is a huge inspiration to me. I cannot wait until November 5th.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  02:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
badass

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  06:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*cough, post whore, cough cough*

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  10:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
as you can see by my whopping 45 posts there is no way i could be a post whore, and ive been on the board for a year or so!

Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  10:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
htg im listening to the song tetris by aphex twin right now and your animation was timed just perfectly with it for like 45 seconds.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  11:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nothing wrong with being a post whore though.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  02:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I refuse to comment on the grounds that it may incriminate me!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  05:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's going on over here? You started post whoring and didn't include me? I am shocked and appalled.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  06:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where there is post whoring, you are never far behind!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got this CD today, and off the bat, the first song, "Dead In The Water" really grabbed my attention. It may be the strongest song on the CD, but I haven't listened to the CD enough times yet to decide which is the best song IMHO. But as soon as I heard the first song I immediately thought this was going to be a great album, and I wasn't disappointed.

As for the darker material, sadly, David's father passed away while he was working on this CD, which no doubt influenced the material on the album. The song "The Other Side'" says "Meet me on the other side/I'll see you on the other side...etc.." and is almost definitely about the death of his father. Having listened to David Gray for some time now, and being an aspiring singer/songwriter myself, I felt I could really feel the feelings he was undoubtedly feeling while writing/recording some of the songs on this album, which is the kind of thing I love, and a huge inspiration to me, to aspire to move people this way some day with my own music. I love depressing music...even if I have nothing to be depressed about.

Another thing about this album is the fuller sound. There are no solo acoustic performances such as "Twilight" from Lost Songs or songs with simply bass/acoustic guitar and vocals like "Lead Me Upstairs" from A Century Ends. Every song has drums on it and/or keyboards/synths or the Groove Box sounds that I've grown to love.

Once again the vocal harmonies between David Gray and his drummer Clune are awe inspiring. The harmonies they come up with always boggle my mind. Live versions of "The Light" and "Lead Me Upstairs" blow me away every time. And there is no shortage of those harmonies on this album.

I would definitely recommend this album to any David Gray fan, or any fan of singer/songwriters in general. I think that David Gray is a big departure from much of the run of the mill studio-created pop that is out there today. He writes everything, plays guitar well, and sings his heart out every time. David Gray is everything I aspire to be as a musician and songwriter, and this album did nothing if not drive that point home even more with me.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  3:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
very well said, all of it.

Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  5:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI I just saw that David Gray is touring and will be at the Tweeter Center in Camden NJ on Jan 28....tickets on sale Sat Nov 9 at 10:00 through ticketmaster

I'm sure he is touring all over so if you are interested check out ticketmaste for your area.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Ccr152
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  03:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Ccr152 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes i knew this, but id forgotten. thank you for reminding me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000