Couple of Questions on TR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sachyaam
Is Anybody Here?

9 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  2:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know TR isnt the tallest guy buy I was wondering if he has really big hands...also i was wondering in general how important hand size is to being an effective guitarist. I just started playing about 5 months ago but ive realized i dont have the biggest hands which makes some stretches very difficult. (Dave and John Mayer for example have huge hands...at least compared to me) Other guitarist have told me that i will develop the ability to stretch over time.

Second, I was wondering if TR has competed in any of those National Fingerpicking or Thumbpicking contests or any guitar playing contest for that matter. If he has...has he won?...if not...is he still a lot better then the guitarist who compete and win these contests? (I understand that Tim plays mostly electric etc, uses a lot of effects which arent really used in these contests but i was still wondering)

Thanks.

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  4:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim has proportional hands to his body...But I'll tell ya...when he gets up and palys guitar, he's as big as a high rise building!

I don't know if he has palyed in any contests, i doubt it, but anyways, your hands do strech over time...I have huge hands, but i was never able to strech them very far unitl i played guitar for aboot a month...now, i can strech from 1ST TO 9TH!!!! iT HURTS, I i JSUT barely MAKE IT, But it can be done I tell you!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  6:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jay pretty much covered it. I doubt tim can do a 1-9 stretch like Jay, but I also doubt Jay can play like tim . So even if youre within the limitations of small hands, its what you do with them thats most important, and that comes with practice.

as for those contests, i dunno, and i really would prefer not to see him competing like that. I think the whole idea of his music isnt to see who can pick fastest, he just understands and has the ability to put that dynamic into his playing when it fits.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
ChaosView, the new Tim Reynolds tour archive
Go to Top of Page

captain_napkins
Is Anybody Here?

31 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  6:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i generally prefer watching people who can pick fast but have no idea how to play a guitar. it's more fun than you'd think.

now...1st to 9th fret stretch? let me try that.

phew...you can't really play that way...i have to contort my hand and play at the top of the 9th fret...
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  7:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hand size seems like it might be a plus, but it's not necessary. It just would make long stretches less uncomfortable. Look at TR... small hands, but indescribable skill. I wish I had bigger hands... damn you genetics.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  8:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hehehe! I never said i could PLAY the 1st to 9th fret strech! Hehehe! I do agree that i would not like to see TR in contests, and i highly doubt TR would ever enter one.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  10:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understand that Tim plays mostly electric etc, uses a lot of effects which arent really used in these contests but i was still wondering

Actually, Tim has quite a few solo acoustic CDs out and does solo acoustic tours where he doesn't play electric. Check out the CD Stream for Tim solo acoustic guitar with NO effects.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000