All you guys....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Poole
Is Anybody Here?

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  10:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Poole's Homepage  Send Poole an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All you guys sound like your pretty freakin good at guitar. Is there anyway I can get a hold of some of your stuff (if you tape it) or maby just tell me a lil about your playin style. I would also just like to get a standing on where I fit in with all you fellow Tim heads.

n/a

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  12:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well.......I think most of us are computer-illiterate, so the only way you'd hear most of us is to fly on over. As for me, my playing style derives mainly from either DMB or TIM. Also, throw some Collective Soul and U2 and that's me on guitar (that is, on acoustic.......without effects). Is this what you meant by playing style?

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  4:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I fingerpick almost exclusivly, and my playing style derives form Tim, DM, Leo Kottke, Kelly Joe Phelps and Jeff Lang, mostly.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  10:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My first love is stuff along the lines of David Gray, John Prine, Pete Yorn, and yes, some Dave Matthews. That is mostly what I write and is what I have been recording. Once I get my demo completed, I'd be happy to send you a copy. I am probably the most computer-illiterate person here, so you probably won't be hearing any MP3s from me...umm....ever, lol. Actually I hope to get some stuff up on MP3.com or a similar site, but I would need to consult the help of a friend who has a decent computer (which mine is not) and knows what he/she is doing.

With my own stuff, I fingerpick some, and also just strum, muting unwanted strings, a la Dave Matthews, or just simply not hitting them. I'm not afraid to write a song that is comprised of basic chords like A, G, D, C, etc... A good song will shine even if it is not technically challenging. I've begun to take a "less is more" approach to some aspects of my music, holding back on effects and not overdoing parts of songs. Instrumentally, yeah, that would suck, 4 chords over and over, but keep in mind that I write lyrics and sing with my original songs too. Being a good lyricist/singer is just as important to me as being a good guitarist, if not moreso. I will also mess with capo placement, as far as putting a capo on all but the first two strings (high e and b), and then tuning to Drop D or C or double drop D or C or something along those lines.

I also write and play some instrumental stuff. A lot of it starts with writing a bass/drum part on my keyboard and just dicking around on guitar over it. But some of it is solo acoustic as well, inspired by the one and only Tim Reynolds.

I am into heaveier stuff as well. I am really inspired by Metallica in that area, and bands like Disturbed, Deftones, and of course Tim. That is more of a hobby for me, where I take the lighter, acoustic stuff I first mentioned more seriously.

Like I said, if you want to hear my demo when I get it done, let me know, and I'd be glad to send you a copy.

Sorry this was so long, but thanks for reading it if you got this far.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  10:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just finished up my first solo album, i have the mp3s just need to find time to upload them.
actually ill do it now(10:08am EST),
Might take some time so they might not all be there, yet. There are 13 tracks andf you can find them here:

http://www.immortalink.com/dave_cahill/

I rather people here it as an album, but you can just download all the songs if ya want. They are all copyrighted and everything. Maybe ill make a website too.
I performed all the instruments myself and wrote all the individual parts. Arranged it and everything, I put a lot of hard work into this so please tell me what you think and please spread it out there.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty good man. I especially like Farewell and Denial.

As for my playing style, it is pretty abstract. Similar to Tim in some ways. If any of you have Aphex Twin's Selcted Ambient Works Vol. II, picture some of that on guitar. In other ways it's actually similar to what Dave's got here, except for the bluesier tunes like It Came Clear To Me. I've got some blues in me though when it comes to leads. I'm working on an album, but right now I'm just sort of laying blueprints. I'm going to build a monster of a computer this month probably and get ProTools on it eventually. ProTools or not, I'm trying to have an album's worth of material by the holidays.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  12:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Dave. I especially like the couple of tracks that you did that are a little more etherial. My only critique (if you care to hear) is on tracks 1 and 10 you might consider going back and re-recording the rhythm guitar parts because your guitar was a bit out of tune. I found it especially noticeable on track 10 on the A to G strums (I didn't check that on my guitar but it sounded like standard tuning with those 2 chords). But very good work nonetheless. I really enjoyed tracks 5, 7, and 9... especially 9, that is a great track!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  3:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very cool! I really liked number 1! It kicks ass!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2002 :  4:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey ho
thanks for all the postive feedback, im really glad i can finally show people whats been in my head for so long. I wanna get a website up soon. Im poor so duplication will hold off for a little bit.
Thanks again...
did anyone hear the secret track that comes in at 4:20 on the last song?
hehe

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  07:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been listening to it a lot, and my favs are 1, 2, and 9. How do you make this? Do you just play a part and record it onto the computer on step at a TIMe? Or do you use a looper and do it all at once? And I have a suggestion. For Meet Me Outside, do you think you could play that electric part that starts at about 2:20 some more? That is my favorite part of the song, and I think it would sound a lot better if it was longer, or showed up more often. Of course, this is only a suggestion.......

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

rubylith
Fluffy-Esque

1915 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2002 :  11:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit rubylith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea I used Pro Tools to record it, digital is real easy, but I used no enhance=ments using the computer. No loops, mostly no fixes when it was improvised, stuff like that. Im happy you like it, I worked real hard on these and thweres many more to come. I really like to involve myself and create a really good concept album. Slander is about the day to day occurence of miscommunication and the philosophies stemmed from it. These songs are final, maybe someday i would redo it, but right now this I feel is exactly how I heard it in my head. Thanks again, Im surprised at all the cool feedback.
Hopefully Tim will hear it and want to hang out or something, hah.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000